IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 07:10 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

South Florida Labor is through the roof unfortunately. No Lexus dealer will even give me a price, and the cheapest independent shop quote I got was $260 for the install alone. My local Toyota dealer (which I ironically trust more than my Lexus dealer) says they can do it for me, but I need to take the part in and they need to look at it and the car to give me a price.
Anywho, I want to replace the stock LCA bushings on my 2022 RWD IS350 with the ones from the RCF. However, I want to provide them with the torque specs for all the bolts just in case if they get lazy and decide to not use TIS. I know Sasnuke has posted the torque specs for the 2014-2020 3IS, but since some people have reported suspension changes on the 2021+ model, could anyone with TIS access please confirm the torque specs for me, hopefully with a print out of the torque specs in lbs-ft? Right after the install I'm also going to be getting an alignment at my Lexus dealer and Top End Motorsports claims that some shops use the wrong alignment specs, so if you don't mind, could you please also share the alignment specs from the repair manual while you're already in TIS? Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 09-01-23, 10:58 AM
BillCannon
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
There is a big difference between the 2. Our bushings stop the Axial movement caused by hard braking. This prevents all the dynamic toe changes, wondering and diving that contribute to inner tire wear and poor braking performance.

-Justin
I see you guys have a street version (88 dur). Could you compare and contrast that with the OEM and RC bushings? I still have the OEM on my 21 IS350 F sport, which is my commuter/date night car. I’m a bit aloof when it comes to the nuances of steering (definitely not a track guy). However, I would notice if the ride quality changes. Id like to solve the tire IS chewing problem without completely losing the little luxury feel it has.

Old 09-01-23, 01:22 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,387 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by BillCannon
I see you guys have a street version (88 dur). Could you compare and contrast that with the OEM and RC bushings? I still have the OEM on my 21 IS350 F sport, which is my commuter/date night car. I’m a bit aloof when it comes to the nuances of steering (definitely not a track guy). However, I would notice if the ride quality changes. Id like to solve the tire IS chewing problem without completely losing the little luxury feel it has.

The graphic below shows the relationship between the OEM bushings vs the RR Racing offerings.

-Justin

Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (09-01-23)
Old 09-03-23, 05:08 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Question

The graphic below shows the relationship between the OEM bushings vs the RR Racing offerings.
So, based on this, guessing that the OEM RC/GS Bushings being 8 Durometer harder offer a tiny bit of performance impact?
Old 09-06-23, 09:20 AM
cerbois
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Last edited by cerbois; 09-06-23 at 09:30 AM.
LA20671 (09-06-23)
Old 09-07-23, 07:12 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,387 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
So, based on this, guessing that the OEM RC/GS Bushings being 8 Durometer harder offer a tiny bit of performance impact?
In my opinion. Little to none. I talk to RCF owners with inner tire wear all the time. I sell them our Road and Track bushing as a fix. The slightly harder durometer may marginally reduce side to side deflection of the control arm but not completely. Also, the factory bushings do nothing to prevent the axial (in and out) movement which causes the brake dive and wandering. This leads to dynamic toe changes that contribute to inner tire wear.

-Justin
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 09-07-23, 07:35 AM
cerbois
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Is the 2023 is350 any different with these bushings? Or any correction Lexus has made for that model year?
Old 09-07-23, 09:34 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,736 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by cerbois
Is the 2023 is350 any different with these bushings? Or any correction Lexus has made for that model year?
I don't think there have been any changes to the bushings.
cerbois (09-07-23)
Old 09-14-23, 05:33 AM
BillCannon
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

In my opinion. Little to none. I talk to RCF owners with inner tire wear all the time. I sell them our Road and Track bushing as a fix. The slightly harder durometer may marginally reduce side to side deflection of the control arm but not completely. Also, the factory bushings do nothing to prevent the axial (in and out) movement which causes the brake dive and wandering. This leads to dynamic toe changes that contribute to inner tire wear.

-Justin
thank you, Justin for explaining the hardness and impact to tire wear. Could you please describe the changes to the ride quality and handling?
Old 09-16-23, 06:53 AM
Jflex15
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I meant to upload these awhile back after installing SPC Rear camber arms. This was the alignment they set to reduce rear camber. Unfortunately the tires were at 12,000 miles of uneven wear already fast forward another 2000-3000 and this is what they look like today. Rear drivers side seems to be noticeably more even than the rear passenger where the inner wear is significantly more noticeable. Maybe have the toe reduced in that side will even it out ?

Old 09-16-23, 01:51 PM
RA050224
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't see any uneven tire wear yet. I have a 2022 IS300 but its AWD. 19" wheels but square set up. Only 5,400 miles though. Hopefully since I don't drive it like a 350 RWD I will not have terrible tire wear issues. Boring driver here for the most part. I don't want harder bushings as part of the reason I bought the car was its one of the last "soft" riding small-ish premium cars. But all those tire wear pics are scary!
Old 09-20-23, 02:31 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Well, if you say "Little" doesn't that imply what i wrote: "tiny bit"? Also, the RC/GS Bushings are NOT factory nor OEM for IS models.
Old 11-15-23, 01:23 AM
ratulas
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
What can we do about it?

In stock form, an IS has little defense against the issue. It is, in essence, designed this way. However, there are some measures that can help reduce tire wear:
  • Alignment. Whether you intend to stay stock or not, make sure your car's alignment is in-spec. Toe-out due to hitting a pothole will only accelerate the problem. You could also try running some toe-in to reduce the amount of excessive toe-out, but this, of course, is also not ideal for tire wear. I've done it, and I didn't notice any difference in drive-ability, but still much-reduced inner wear.
  • Stiffer lower control arm bushings. RR Racing, FIGS, or Lexus's own RC F bushings (yes, they are compatible) will provide less compliance than the extremely soft ones that come standard on the IS. Be aware of the upsides and downsides of each. For instance, poly bushings will require lubrication, and the F bushings are not going to be as firm as the poly bushings. It's possible that bushings will not fully eliminate the issue, and you may still see premature inner edge balding.
    • Part numbers for the RC F bushings: 48075-24010, 48076-24010

Hi, I drive a 2019 Is300 Fsport
the RCF bushing part number you provided does not fit my IS according to autonation parts.
As i am one of the many who is suffering from inner tire wire on both front and rear
any clue? Also if there is anyone who can suggest a good workshop based in NYC where they would be able to do the alignments to prevent this inner tire wear .
thanks in advance

Last edited by arentz07; 11-15-23 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Moderator edit: no need to quote an entire lengthy post
Old 11-15-23, 06:48 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,736 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ratulas
Hi, I drive a 2019 Is300 Fsport
the RCF bushing part number you provided does not fit my IS according to autonation parts.
As i am one of the many who is suffering from inner tire wire on both front and rear
any clue? Also if there is anyone who can suggest a good workshop based in NYC where they would be able to do the alignments to prevent this inner tire wear .
thanks in advance
That's a common thing to see on websites like that; technically it's not an IS 300 part, but it should fit.
Old 02-01-24, 11:26 PM
Mcgillam98
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you for this thread

I am a victim of premature tire wear and cannot thank this thread enough. I’ve been through two sets of tires, both wearing badly on the inside after a year or 15,00 miles with alignments. Only got 15k miles on both sets. Going to order either figs or rr LCAs.. with PU bushings, how often do you have to get them greased? What’s the maintenance like for them. I don’t want to get the RCF LCAs bc I am so over tire wear and would like to have it eliminated.
My car has never been the quietest because stays eating up tires, so I don’t care about any road noise the aftermarket bushings may cause. Just curious about maintenance. Most recent pic of tire wear

Front

Rear

Quick Reply: All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear