IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-24, 04:28 AM
cerbois
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcgillam98
I am a victim of premature tire wear and cannot thank this thread enough. I’ve been through two sets of tires, both wearing badly on the inside after a year or 15,00 miles with alignments. Only got 15k miles on both sets. Going to order either figs or rr LCAs.. with PU bushings, how often do you have to get them greased? What’s the maintenance like for them. I don’t want to get the RCF LCAs bc I am so over tire wear and would like to have it eliminated.
My car has never been the quietest because stays eating up tires, so I don’t care about any road noise the aftermarket bushings may cause. Just curious about maintenance. Most recent pic of tire wear

Front

Rear
That s too bad, keep us posted. I don t have enough miles yet to tell if I m in the same boat.
Old 02-02-24, 09:22 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcgillam98
I am a victim of premature tire wear and cannot thank this thread enough. I’ve been through two sets of tires, both wearing badly on the inside after a year or 15,00 miles with alignments. Only got 15k miles on both sets. Going to order either figs or rr LCAs.. with PU bushings, how often do you have to get them greased? What’s the maintenance like for them. I don’t want to get the RCF LCAs bc I am so over tire wear and would like to have it eliminated.
My car has never been the quietest because stays eating up tires, so I don’t care about any road noise the aftermarket bushings may cause. Just curious about maintenance. Most recent pic of tire wear

Front

Rear
The LCA bushings only affect the front tire wear, so unless you’ve been rotating your tires, the wear in the rear won’t be affected by changing the LCAs.
I have the FIGs, they squeaked sometime after installation on sharp right hand turns as I backed out of my driveway. Got some spray silicone lubricant and shot them good on both ends, and haven’t had any more squeaks in the last 4-5 years.
The following users liked this post:
Mcgillam98 (02-02-24)
Old 02-02-24, 12:36 PM
Mcgillam98
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
The LCA bushings only affect the front tire wear, so unless you’ve been rotating your tires, the wear in the rear won’t be affected by changing the LCAs.
I have the FIGs, they squeaked sometime after installation on sharp right hand turns as I backed out of my driveway. Got some spray silicone lubricant and shot them good on both ends, and haven’t had any more squeaks in the last 4-5 years.
Ty for the reply. good to know. I was thinking about getting the bars for the back end. I’m honestly more pleased with the wear on the rears as it’s more uniform. I think the inner is from trying and burning tires to get up the driveway in our last ice storm lol
Old 02-18-24, 10:54 AM
SpenceNan
2nd gear

Default Lexus Noob Needs Help!!!

Hello guys,

Thank you Arentz07 for your amazing post! I just bought a pre-owned 2019 Lexus IS350 F sport sedan a year ago, and the tire issues have been tortuous to me. I sometimes drive aggresively but most times dont. I only drove around 10k miles since I bought it (but I'm in Ontario Canada and the roads suck, construction area and potholes anywhere). Both of my two front tires leaked several times (the tire pressure drops slowly everyday by 1-2 psi) and went to shop many times just to reseal them. Now I finally found the cause. However, my tires are pretty much done, they are gone. And my questions are:

1) The dealer told me 2 options for the tires (what they have), the Firehawk Indy 500 or the Michelin Pilot Sport. Since I'm in Canada and I dont have winter tires, I just want to know which is more suitable for me? I think Indy 500s are Summer tires and Pilot Sport are all season? (Only $100 difference in price between the two) OR Is there any other all season tires you would recommend that I can use to survive the winter (durability is my first consideration, since they wear out quickly).

2) Would the RCF LCA bushings compatible for my car? I would like t get them. Do I need 4 of them or just 2 for the fronts? Are the parts from LexusPartsNow OEM?

Thank you very much guys for your help! Highly appreciated!

The image below is the diagnosis of the dealer when I resealed the tire a month ago. They said the metal cords are about to show on the inner edge so the my tires would last meximum a couple of months so I need a set of new tires.

Old 02-20-24, 03:52 AM
ironbrick
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@SpenceNan If they’re offering you Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4, that’s an outstanding tire. (Make sure, because there are also summer-only tires under the Pilot Sport name.) I have a set on my current car (not an IS) and can’t fault them in any department. They work for year-round driving in a place that dips below freezing but doesn’t see much snow. That said, it’s definitely not a winter tire. If I still lived in heavy snow country I’d either run a much more aggressive all season (Michelin Crossclimate, maybe) or more likely add real winter tires on a second cheap set of wheels.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (02-20-24)
Old 02-20-24, 10:49 AM
SpenceNan
2nd gear

Hey!! Thank you so much for the info! I will double check with them and make sure I get the Pilot Sport All Season 4 not the 4S. Are you currently using All season 4s? How do you feel about the tire? Are they durable and have good tire wear?
Old 02-20-24, 04:03 PM
ironbrick
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpenceNan
Hey!! Thank you so much for the info! I will double check with them and make sure I get the Pilot Sport All Season 4 not the 4S. Are you currently using All season 4s? How do you feel about the tire? Are they durable and have good tire wear?
Yes, I have the AS4s on a '23 Integra at the moment. If I end up buying an IS I'll probably put a set on that, too, so I feel pretty good about them. Very sticky and secure by all season standards. I haven't seen anything troubling wear-wise in the first 5k miles, but it's early and again it's a totally different car so YMMV. (I'm just surfing the forums looking for "gotchas" as I consider buying an IS350 F Sport.)

Continental DWS06+ is another good tire I've run in the past. A little cheaper than the Michelin AS4s and compares favorably. I was happy with them on a '17 BMW M240i, which is a little closer to an IS. Only question with the DWS is availability. TireRack didn't show it as available in the right sizes for a '24 IS350 F Sport but I have no idea if 2019s are the same setup.
Old 03-02-24, 06:24 AM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Is tire wear

I’m new to the IS platform and to the website. Thank you for the stickie and all the information. I had not come across the premature tire wear issue during my car shopping research, it’s a turnoff to see what people here are going thru. I just got my 2017 IS300 awd f sport and it came with two different brand tires, now I understand why. I’ve read thru this thread and decided to go ahead and order the RCF bushings, found them on eBay from a vendor in Japan. They are supposed to be genuine oem parts, hopefully they are not fake. I come from the Subaru world, tires are cheaper than engines but at the rate the is consumes tires it might cost the same as an engine replacement every 5-6 years. I do a lot of my mechanical work, replacing the bushings looks easy.

Ended up canceling the RCF bushing order and went to the RR Racing system instead. The reason I didn’t go with Figs is after watching multiple videos I liked the way the RR Racing system works. The Figs bushing seems to have a similar amount of thrust movement to the oem bushings. RR racing designed the usrs with a bushing preload mechanism that allows adjustments to minimize the thrust movement. I went with their recommended black bushing for an awd vehicle. Now I’ll be easy on the brakes and corners till the stiffer bushings are installed.

Finally got the RR Racing bushings installed, not a difficult job.
My first impression is that the parts look very well made, shall see about durability. They came pre greased and include excellent installation instructions. RR Racing recommended the 85d black bushing for my awd vehicle, that’s what I installed. My first impression is that I could immediately feel the firmer bushings, after a 20 minute drive I concluded that they actually complement the car and they should’ve been like that from the factory.

Went out tonight and put 50 miles on the car to settle the bushings and get a better understanding as to what they perform like.
First and most important is that the front end communicates to the steering wheel an immense amount of positive feedback that was numb before.
Tracking was marshmallowish before, now it feels stout in a very positive way.
Steering response is sharpened in a very significant and positive way.
As to how they impact tire wear I have no way of knowing but don’t even care anymore, the firmer bushings are transformative in a very positive way.
As to harshness from riding on a stiffer bushing seems to be not a factor, the bushing feels natural to the car, there is a very likeable feel that is surprising.
In conclusion, I feel the car could have come with the firmer bushing from the factory, it feels natural to the platform, with significant performance enhancement implications. Not exactly an inexpensive upgrade but also not that expensive. Worth every penny, wow.

Last edited by NYIS300awdFS; 03-10-24 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-11-24, 06:48 PM
OIFera
1st Gear

Default All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear

After replacing rear camber arm and two bushings at front as well as alignment, my tire has been ok since. The bolts on four sides did not came out easy. I would use WD40 the night before if I know this would be difficult to take out. Thank you for the previous helpful tips.
Old 03-12-24, 06:24 AM
AJF122171
1st Gear

Has anyone open a complaint with BBB?
Old 03-12-24, 08:19 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,912 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF122171
If you feel inclined, go for it.
Old 03-12-24, 08:51 AM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Bbb

Originally Posted by AJF122171
Not sure you’d get anywhere complaining to the BBB. My previous Subarus, quite a few of the over the years would wear the front tires on the outside edge. I would have them aligned to -1.25* camber and zero toe so tire wear would be more even and follow up with very frequent rotation to get a long life out of tires.
The IS requires stiffer front bushings and aftermarket adjustable rear arms to minimize the excessive tire wear. Or lots of new tires in the long run.

Last edited by NYIS300awdFS; 03-12-24 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-02-24, 08:03 AM
genmaster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is the SPC rear camber part number 72450? If I install this, is there any special instruction during wheel alignment? or just let Lexus perform factor alignment over the RCF LCA and SPC camber kit
Old 05-04-24, 04:30 AM
Arthall111
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have a 2019 IS 300 and her poor tires will say, no fix

Originally Posted by Ceten
I've read (I think on these forums) that the excessive inner tire wear has been reduced on the 2018+ models. I don't recall what the reason given was. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? I've only had mine for a few months and I keep forgetting to take a look, so I'm no help.

Old 05-06-24, 06:33 AM
genmaster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FH212
This is exactly how my IS350 tires looked at around the same mileage. I bought Godspeed rear adjustable camber arms, had them installed, car aligned, and bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and you can literally see that my rear tires are straight up and down now with zero camber lean. That will remedy the tire wear issue. Well it better remedy it lol.
What settings did you have for the Godspeed rear camber? when you get a wheel alignment done can Lexus adjust camber spec if one has the adjustable camber kit installed?

Quick Reply: All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear