IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 09:54 AM
DS03
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Lexus will want to adjust them to factory spec which won't help the wear. I would go to an independent shop.
Old 06-06-24, 01:24 PM
unknownkid
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default NOVA mechanic

Does anyone know a mechanic in Northern Virginia who will do this bushings installation at a reasonable rate?

Last edited by unknownkid; 06-06-24 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-07-24, 01:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

A mystery in stock tire wear: 2020 vs. 2023.

My new 2020 IS350 F-Sport RWD with limited slip differential, came with Bridgestone Turranzas. I got 33.5k out of them, before handing the car back into the dealer at the lease end.
The new 2023 IS350 F-Sport RWD without the LSD, came with Bridgestone Potenzas. I am now at 13.5k, and they are looking more than half gone. I'm estimating probably to 20k miles and they'll be done.

So, a marked difference between either the tires or between the cars. Of course my driving style has not changed and I'm always easy on it. Only difference I can think of is I've done more streets with the 2023 than freeway, compared to the 2020. But I always thought the higher speeds of a freeway wear tires out quicker- more compression over dips at higher speeds (I could be wrong). Or perhaps the limited slip actually plays a roll? Looking back at the 2020, I could barely recall any times where entered a turn and accelerated hard enough to activate the limited slip. So thinking that can't be a big factor. Again, I could be wrong.

Curious to hear people's opinion.

Old 06-07-24, 02:04 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A mystery in stock tire wear: 2020 vs. 2023.

My new 2020 IS350 F-Sport RWD with limited slip differential, came with Bridgestone Turranzas. I got 33.5k out of them, before handing the car back into the dealer at the lease end.
The new 2023 IS350 F-Sport RWD without the LSD, came with Bridgestone Potenzas. I am now at 13.5k, and they are looking more than half gone. I'm estimating probably to 20k miles and they'll be done.

So, a marked difference between either the tires or between the cars. Of course my driving style has not changed and I'm always easy on it. Only difference I can think of is I've done more streets with the 2023 than freeway, compared to the 2020. But I always thought the higher speeds of a freeway wear tires out quicker- more compression over dips at higher speeds (I could be wrong). Or perhaps the limited slip actually plays a roll? Looking back at the 2020, I could barely recall any times where entered a turn and accelerated hard enough to activate the limited slip. So thinking that can't be a big factor. Again, I could be wrong.

Curious to hear people's opinion.
It’s between the tires. Turanza is a touring tire and will last longer than the Potenza performance tire.
Old 06-07-24, 02:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
It’s between the tires. Turanza is a touring tire and will last longer than the Potenza performance tire.
That is believable. Although it's weird, examining both tires, the Turanzas appeared to have less tread on them from the start compared to the Potenzas. But I do notice however, the Potenzas tramline more than the Turanzas did.

Old 06-09-24, 07:37 AM
BillCannon
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NYIS300awdFS
I’m new to the IS platform and to the website. Thank you for the stickie and all the information. I had not come across the premature tire wear issue during my car shopping research, it’s a turnoff to see what people here are going thru. I just got my 2017 IS300 awd f sport and it came with two different brand tires, now I understand why. I’ve read thru this thread and decided to go ahead and order the RCF bushings, found them on eBay from a vendor in Japan. They are supposed to be genuine oem parts, hopefully they are not fake. I come from the Subaru world, tires are cheaper than engines but at the rate the is consumes tires it might cost the same as an engine replacement every 5-6 years. I do a lot of my mechanical work, replacing the bushings looks easy.

Ended up canceling the RCF bushing order and went to the RR Racing system instead. The reason I didn’t go with Figs is after watching multiple videos I liked the way the RR Racing system works. The Figs bushing seems to have a similar amount of thrust movement to the oem bushings. RR racing designed the usrs with a bushing preload mechanism that allows adjustments to minimize the thrust movement. I went with their recommended black bushing for an awd vehicle. Now I’ll be easy on the brakes and corners till the stiffer bushings are installed.

Finally got the RR Racing bushings installed, not a difficult job.
My first impression is that the parts look very well made, shall see about durability. They came pre greased and include excellent installation instructions. RR Racing recommended the 85d black bushing for my awd vehicle, that’s what I installed. My first impression is that I could immediately feel the firmer bushings, after a 20 minute drive I concluded that they actually complement the car and they should’ve been like that from the factory.

Went out tonight and put 50 miles on the car to settle the bushings and get a better understanding as to what they perform like.
First and most important is that the front end communicates to the steering wheel an immense amount of positive feedback that was numb before.
Tracking was marshmallowish before, now it feels stout in a very positive way.
Steering response is sharpened in a very significant and positive way.
As to how they impact tire wear I have no way of knowing but don’t even care anymore, the firmer bushings are transformative in a very positive way.
As to harshness from riding on a stiffer bushing seems to be not a factor, the bushing feels natural to the car, there is a very likeable feel that is surprising.
In conclusion, I feel the car could have come with the firmer bushing from the factory, it feels natural to the platform, with significant performance enhancement implications. Not exactly an inexpensive upgrade but also not that expensive. Worth every penny, wow.
I agree with everything you posted. I replaced the bushings with Figs 80. The car tracks so much better. I was in disbelief in how squierrely the car handled prior to the upgrade. In fact, I had to drive through some divergent diamonds over and over to confirm this. I will say that the IS is a complete lie with the oem marshmallow bushings.

Now regarding the cost of the upgrade, it was a bit much. I could not find a shop that would do the work for under $500, everyone kept quoting me 3 labor hours. Even after I showed them the video of what it entailed, they refused to budge. They didn't say it, but they wanted/needed to make the appointment worth their while.
The following users liked this post:
NYIS300awdFS (06-09-24)
Old 06-21-24, 03:50 PM
BillCannon
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

For the record. My oem tires lasted 19.4k miles with the oem bushings. Also the worst tires were the rears (inner wear) but they fronts were pretty close (both inner and outer wear).
Old 07-10-24, 07:21 PM
blackangus
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Arthall111
Recently bought a 2020 IS 300 AWD with less than 12k miles on it. Now, with less than 15k miles, the tires are shot. Wish I'd known about this problem before I bought it. Definitely lessens my opinion of Lexus (after owning 4 largely trouble-free models). No way I'm going to replace tires every 15k miles - that's ridiculous. I'm reading this thread back to front - hope I find an affordable, doable solution! Thanks to everyone who contributes.
Old 07-12-24, 09:48 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,807 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by blackangus
Recently bought a 2020 IS 300 AWD with less than 12k miles on it. Now, with less than 15k miles, the tires are shot. Wish I'd known about this problem before I bought it. Definitely lessens my opinion of Lexus (after owning 4 largely trouble-free models). No way I'm going to replace tires every 15k miles - that's ridiculous. I'm reading this thread back to front - hope I find an affordable, doable solution! Thanks to everyone who contributes.
Just make sure the alignment is in spec and request to get slight toe-in on yours at the front. I did that on mine, and the tires I put on lasted from 17,000 to 38,000 when I traded it in and had plenty of tread left. (Also an IS 300 AWD.)
Old 07-18-24, 06:57 PM
blackangus
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

hey, arentz07, thank you very much for your recommendation. I will absolutely do what you said. appreciate it.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (07-19-24)