IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 10:22 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by gbutler24
This is really sad to hear. I came to this forum to get an idea of what owning a lexus is would be like in preparation for buying one. Based on the rep and the consumer satisfaction surveys it would appear that the car would be a perfect fit for me as I have a low tolerance for repeat car issues. My current Elantra Sport Turbo gets 250000 on a set before I need to change them out. I could deal with that, but everywhere I read about this issue, it seems that people are literally wasting good tires and I'm going to have to let my search continue for a luxury car. I don't want to send the message that this is okay. I'm guessing the 2021 is 350 has not been changed enough to counter this issue either? Can anyone confirm?
Welcome to the forum @gbutler24 !

That's pretty amazing to hear that you are getting 250,000miles from a set of tires on your Elantra. Considering the Elantra Sport launched in 2017 (assuming this is the car you have), you've certainly done a lot of driving...like a lot!
It almost sounds like you've replaced the tires more than once, which means you'd be over 500,000miles on the car already...wow!! I can only assume this means you do a lot of highway driving/trips.
I'm not sure I'd agree that tire wear is a repeat car issue...brakes, tires, etc. are items that are meant to be wear and tear that will, at some point, need to be replaced. Sure some cars wear out these items faster than others, but if you're using your Elantra as a benchmark, then no car is going to reach 250,000miles on a single set of tires...I didn't even think that was possible!!

Old 04-08-21, 10:29 AM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

There is no tire on the planet that can get 250K miles... maybe he meant 25K?

Also if u read this thread there are solutions to this issue.
Old 04-08-21, 10:50 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,808 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Even on trucks, I have never heard of a tire to get over 250,000 miles. 25,000 seems reasonable for a sport sedan - especially FWD where you are going to be spinning some tires from time to time :P
Old 04-08-21, 10:59 AM
V00D001
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah, I think he probably meant 25K, not 250K.

I do wish that there wasn't a front inner tire wear issue (2020 and older) and I wouldn't have had to replace the stock LCA bushings with an aftermarket version. It cost me less than $360 to stop the front inner tire wear in its tracks. Had I gone with just the bushings instead of the kit ($170) or opted for RCF bushings ($120ish) it would have cost less than one tire. Should I have had to do that with only 20K miles on the clock for my 2018 - IMO, no I shouldn't, but the car is rock solid other than that. Since they made some changes to the 2021 suspension to go along with the new facelift, I don't think anyone has confirmed that there is still a possible issue with front inner tire wear. I also can't confirm whether the part numbers for the 2021 LCAs are the same as the 3IS version since I haven't had the chance to take a look at the suspension yet or see any diagrams to make an educated guess. Maybe someone with a 2021 could take a peak or someone with access to a parts diagram could give a clue of the changes or lack of changes to the 2021.

If this is the only thing that's stopping you from a 2021 IS, after you research other cars in this segment, you'll find they will also have problems. Maybe not tire wear, but other problems that could be way worse than possible inner tire wear which can be easily corrected.

Last edited by V00D001; 04-08-21 at 11:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gbutler24 (04-08-21)
Old 04-08-21, 11:49 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

No car is perfect, every one of them has some sort of issue. Toyota/Lexus products are the most reliable out there, so in the longrun you make up for the tire thing everywhere else.
Old 04-08-21, 12:55 PM
gbutler24
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry. I did mean 25K . Got too happy with the zero's.
Old 04-08-21, 01:12 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gbutler24
Sorry. I did mean 25K . Got too happy with the zero's.
if you're only getting 25K miles, then its still good, but nothing really spectacular.
Keeping in mind there has been no mention of tire brand or tread wear...you could put those same tires from your Elantra on an IS (in the appropriate size) and get the same tire life.

If something as small as tire life is the make or break of getting an IS, it's gonna be hard for you to find a car you can commit to, cause a lot of other cars have way bigger issues in this segment...and it's not like the tire wear cannot be mitigated.

As others have mentioned, every car has its flaw, and if you're looking at a 2020 or even 2021 IS, and the biggest/only issue is tire wear, I'd take that any day...considering they're cars out there right now from other manufacturers that are combusting.
When the manufacturer has to tell you not to park your car in the garage cause it might burn your house down, the tire wear issue doesn't quite seem like an issue anymore...lol!
Old 04-08-21, 01:52 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

2013 Camry Hybrid with tires rotated properly (I know we can't do that on our cars) will rip out 50K+ miles easily
2015 IS 250 - Got about 20K from OEM, 25K from Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires (with steel wire showing) fronts only
Old 04-08-21, 02:25 PM
ITR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you provide any links or more specifics to the rear camber kit you are referring to? Thanks for all that good info! New tires are going on right now, and my Lexus Tire Slayer will no longer slay tires once I get these issues handled!

Rear Right, arrow showing the nail I added + the inner wear

Front Right, showing inner wear.

Last edited by ITR; 04-16-21 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Added image
Old 04-08-21, 06:41 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Depends on your driving I would say. I had Michelin AS3 on my previous 08 is350 rwd and got over 40k on them. That only real thing put on way RCF LCA bushing and never had one alignment done since I bought it cause I didn’t feel the need to. It had the original Goodyear on it plus Michelin. Bought the car at 42k and got ride of it at 140k. So I went threw two set of All season tires on it. Never really had inner wear like most people here had either mine was minimum at the most.
Old 04-08-21, 06:47 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ITR
Can you provide any links or more specifics to the rear camber kit you are referring to? Thanks for all that good info! New tires are going on right now, and my Lexus Tire Slayer will no longer slay tires once I get these issues handled!
I believe this is what you are looking for: https://www.spcalignment.com/index.p...ask=detailsany
The following users liked this post:
ITR (04-09-21)
Old 04-09-21, 07:36 PM
ITR
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for providing that link, I initially looked at that site, and thought I was on a different company's website. I ended up ordering from Amazon because of the super easy return deal that Amazon has with Kohl's stores. New tires yesterday, and soon even wear for my IS350 this coming week.
Old 04-10-21, 02:30 PM
heyguise61
Driver School Candidate

Just to add onto this thread with my own experience:

Car: 2019 IS300 F-Sport RWD - first owner.
Mileage: 23,500
Driving: Daily commuting, 40% city 60% freeway

I drive like a grandpa...I was aiming for more reliability/luxury with a hint of sportiness.
Here are my tires...they are the stock OEM tires:

FRONT:

FRONT - CLOSE UP

REAR

REAR - CLOSE UP

I'm looking into purchasing the RC-F LCA bushings as it seems to be a good middle-ground. Still, I managed to get 20k+ miles from the OEM tires with my driving style (waiting to switch out to either the Continentals or the Michelins). Not sure how much these new bushings will help and if it's worth the $150 (parts + labor). It's only $150 but I'm 50/50 - some tires here seem way worse than mine with way fewer miles. Advice?
Old 04-10-21, 02:57 PM
V00D001
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by heyguise61
Just to add onto this thread with my own experience:

Car: 2019 IS300 F-Sport RWD - first owner.
Mileage: 23,500
Driving: Daily commuting, 40% city 60% freeway

I drive like a grandpa...I was aiming for more reliability/luxury with a hint of sportiness.
Here are my tires...they are the stock OEM tires:

FRONT:

FRONT - CLOSE UP

REAR

REAR - CLOSE UP

I'm looking into purchasing the RC-F LCA bushings as it seems to be a good middle-ground. Still, I managed to get 20k+ miles from the OEM tires with my driving style (waiting to switch out to either the Continentals or the Michelins). Not sure how much these new bushings will help and if it's worth the $150 (parts + labor). It's only $150 but I'm 50/50 - some tires here seem way worse than mine with way fewer miles. Advice?
Your front inner wear is not bad considering your mileage, but clearly present. As an alternative to RCF bushings, you could get an alignment and make sure toe in is as close to 0° as possible....you could try that first. If that doesn’t solve it, replace the stock LCA bushings with RCF versions.

Last edited by V00D001; 06-12-21 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-12-21, 04:57 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Today, we replaced the stock lower control arm bushings for the RCF ones. We noticed that there is zero difference in size, weight or shape between the 2. Given this, what is the actual difference between them?

Last edited by ShrinkDoc; 04-12-21 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear