IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

RSR down only in front on AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20 | 12:38 PM
Fashow123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by V350
As others have said, going half and half on springs will have an effect on handling. Even if you are not track driving, what if you need to do an emergency maneuver in traffic? First, the spring and damping rate need to be consistent with stock. Just changing to shorter springs will NOT improve your handling. Shorter springs can bottom out on the outside wheel during harder cornering, causing a side of the car to go 'light' and resulting in a spin. This isn't my information, its directly from the head of product development of a major suspension company.
I want this to sound as “not butthurt” as possible. But I never said this would improve handling. If I were concerned with increased handling and performance I’d have spent more and gotten coil overs. Likely still will down the road.
That being said... if you’re gonna sit here and try to preach about how it’s dangerous to drop your car an inch in the front because you won’t be able to “perform emergency maneuvers” in traffic... you’re clearly no fun at parties.
Old 04-04-20 | 01:42 PM
V350
Pit Crew

So why not just wait for coil-overs?

For the record I think your car looks good, and with a drop it is nice. I was merely warned by someone with 30 years of racing and professional experience not to mess with suspension and brakes. Just repeating his advice.

Last edited by V350; 04-04-20 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-04-20 | 04:24 PM
Fashow123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by V350
So why not just wait for coil-overs?

For the record I think your car looks good, and with a drop it is nice. I was merely warned by someone with 30 years of racing and professional experience not to mess with suspension and brakes. Just repeating his advice.

I hear you. I meant no serious offense. I did this as a trial. If the handling was noticeably affected I would either install rear springs or take off the front. It’s still up for debate because I’ve only had the car home for two days... but as of right now after cutting back and forth (simulating a slalom of sorts) I don’t feel any significant difference In handling that would make me worry.

I just don’t have the money for the suspension overhaul right now. My budget is focused on aesthetics (reasonably speaking) for now. Next year I’m saving for (likely) coilovers and a few other performance focused mods.
The following users liked this post:
pngo (04-04-20)
Old 04-05-20 | 10:52 AM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by Fashow123
In case anyone is as curious about this as I am - These pictures were taken yesterday (day OF install) - zero issue handling driving home (drove a LITTLE hard just to make sure). Everything felt great. I expect the front to drop another .25-.5 inches over the next few weeks as they settle. This is EXACTLY what I was going for and right now I'm very happy. Will update with settled pictures in a few weeks!

Your car is sitting really nice. I feel like my RSR down in the back drop it too slow, makes the back look too aggressive and the front needs to be more low. Clean *** ride man
Fashow123 (04-05-20)
Old 04-22-21 | 09:42 PM
vgrafx
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by swaangin
Your car is sitting really nice. I feel like my RSR down in the back drop it too slow, makes the back look too aggressive and the front needs to be more low. Clean *** ride man
Hi, so i just wanted to confirm, you ONLY have RSR Downs in the front and nothing in the back?
Old 04-23-21 | 02:03 AM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by vgrafx
Hi, so i just wanted to confirm, you ONLY have RSR Downs in the front and nothing in the back?
He hasn't been on the forum since December but, yes, that's correct. AWD IS w/ RSR down springs on front only. You bringing this thread back makes me want to go get my rear springs out haha
Old 04-23-21 | 03:51 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

For what it's worth, I installed lowering springs on the front of my RC but nothing in the rear and it's been totally fine and do not notice any difference whatsoever. That being said, I am not one to do super aggressive driving or taking it to the track so while I know this is the IS thread, just to say that if you prefer not installing lowering springs on the rear (for cosmetic reasons), under most normal driving situations, you will never notice a thing
Old 04-23-21 | 07:30 AM
vgrafx
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by swaangin
He hasn't been on the forum since December but, yes, that's correct. AWD IS w/ RSR down springs on front only. You bringing this thread back makes me want to go get my rear springs out haha
Hmm, now i'm not sure what to do.

Because in another thread, AtomicAWD said that he did Downs in the front and Half Downs in the back. I have a 2015 AWD IS 350.

Maybe I should just get coilovers lol. I heard that one side of the car is lower than the other, besides the front being higher than the back. So coilovers you can adjust everything perfectly.
Leo7 (02-06-22)
Old 04-23-21 | 08:19 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Coilovers will give you greater flexibility in getting the results you want but will be also more expensive. Most will tell you that if you have the money, coilovers are the way to go although they will eliminate your adaptive suspension but then again, the net gain will the coilovers will outweigh the incremental loss of the adaptive suspension
Old 04-23-21 | 06:53 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by vgrafx
Hmm, now i'm not sure what to do.

Because in another thread, AtomicAWD said that he did Downs in the front and Half Downs in the back. I have a 2015 AWD IS 350.

Maybe I should just get coilovers lol. I heard that one side of the car is lower than the other, besides the front being higher than the back. So coilovers you can adjust everything perfectly.
If you did what AtomicAWD did, you would pretty much be spending $500-600 on springs (if you don't install yourself, it's $200-400 depending on shop).. which is basically $1K. Might as well get coilovers at that point. IMO, half down springs do literally nothing in dropping the car. After dropping my car on RSR down springs, before I did that, I added spacers, I thought the rear sat perfectly. Now, the rear sits lower, I wish it was leveled but who cares.

I personally didn't have the money for coilovers and I wanted the ride to be close to stock, I feel like with coilovers, yeah, you get more adjustability but you're completely changing the driving dynamics of the car.. Some people like that. Also mix and matching springs that weren't made for each other sounds weird to me too