IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

RSR down only in front on AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 05:35 AM
Fashow123
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RSR down only in front on AWD

Sorry if this a repost but I was wondering if using JUST front springs on an AWD car would have negative impact on the drivetrain? I’m looking to get rid of the reverse rake (and add a TINY bit of rake - I prefer that look) and I remember seeing one person doing it but can’t find that post again so I’m unsure if he was RWD or AWD.
thanks!
Old 03-16-20, 05:44 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I can't remember which member did this, but I recall the thread you're thinking of.
In his case he put Downs in the front and Half Downs in the rear...if we're talking about the same member/thread.
His goal was to level out the vehicle, which it seems he achieved.

I suppose if you just put the Downs in the front you would get a very slight rake...but I don't think anyone has done that on the IS, so unsure how the vehicle will react.
Personally I don't think it should cause an issue...but that's just my opinion.
Old 03-16-20, 05:53 AM
Fashow123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Welcome to the forum.

I can't remember which member did this, but I recall the thread you're thinking of.
In his case he put Downs in the front and Half Downs in the rear...if we're talking about the same member/thread.
His goal was to level out the vehicle, which it seems he achieved.

I suppose if you just put the Downs in the front you would get a very slight rake...but I don't think anyone has done that on the IS, so unsure how the vehicle will react.
Personally I don't think it should cause an issue...but that's just my opinion.
thanks for the welcome and response!

I suppose if nobody has hands on experience with it I’ll be the first to test it. Worst case scenario is I can find a way to make my aggressive rear wheel / tire combo (19x9.5 35 offset) work without rubbing - I’d guess for the MOST part I would be good but when loaded with people in the back I feel like I’d definitely rub a good bit... seeing as I get a TINY bit of rubbing right now while weighed down.
Old 03-16-20, 08:18 AM
minimacky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have RSR TI2000 down for the front & half-down for the rear but I've yet to have it installed in my RWD IS350. I'll post pics when I do, most likely after this COVID-19 nightmare.
Old 03-16-20, 10:25 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by minimacky
I have RSR TI2000 down for the front & half-down for the rear but I've yet to have it installed in my RWD IS350. I'll post pics when I do, most likely after this COVID-19 nightmare.
Is your car contagious?
Old 03-16-20, 08:24 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Regardless of height difference, isn't there going to be some negative (or weird at least) affect on handling with stiffer springs on front and stock in the back?

Trying to imagine this. I suppose maybe not but makes sense that it would cause some weirdness with the different spring tensions front to back.

Weirdness = technical term
The following users liked this post:
V350 (04-04-20)
Old 03-17-20, 03:51 AM
minimacky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Is your car contagious?
Car shops in my part of the Philippines are closed because of a region-wide lockdown.

So, to answer your question...no, it's not contagious. But it IS dirty at the moment. It needs a good wash but not with alcohol
Old 03-17-20, 05:18 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Fashow - I have seen someone do that with the RC but I have not seen any threads on the IS but it doesn't mean it can't be done.
Old 03-17-20, 05:40 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Regardless of height difference, isn't there going to be some negative (or weird at least) affect on handling with stiffer springs on front and stock in the back?

Trying to imagine this. I suppose maybe not but makes sense that it would cause some weirdness with the different spring tensions front to back.

Weirdness = technical term
In a technical aspect you would be correct if we knew what the rating was for the stock springs.
If, for instance, the stock spring and lowering spring both have the same weight rating, then it should be fine as a daily driver...even if the ratings were close, it should still be fine.
The other consideration is what you're doing with the vehicle, and in this case most are using it as a daily driver...so really you'll probably not notice the difference.
If someone was tracking the vehicle or driving more spirited on aggressive roads consistently, then yes, they will likely notice a difference...I guess that weirdness would depend on the gap in performance between the stock springs and aftermarket springs.
Old 03-17-20, 07:45 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
In a technical aspect you would be correct if we knew what the rating was for the stock springs.
If, for instance, the stock spring and lowering spring both have the same weight rating, then it should be fine as a daily driver...even if the ratings were close, it should still be fine.
The other consideration is what you're doing with the vehicle, and in this case most are using it as a daily driver...so really you'll probably not notice the difference.
If someone was tracking the vehicle or driving more spirited on aggressive roads consistently, then yes, they will likely notice a difference...I guess that weirdness would depend on the gap in performance between the stock springs and aftermarket springs.
Thata what i was imagining, track driving. And thinking it would relate on a smaller scale with daily driving. But what you say about weight rating of course makes sense.
Old 03-17-20, 07:52 PM
Ceten
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ort-build.html

This may be the thread you're looking for.
Old 03-18-20, 05:24 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ceten
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ort-build.html

This may be the thread you're looking for.
That's the one!
Old 03-18-20, 05:44 PM
Fashow123
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the responses everybody - Gonna try this out in a couple weeks (waiting on my axle-back to get both done with one visit to the shop). I'll be sure to post pictures and share about how it feels!
Old 04-04-20, 06:54 AM
Fashow123
Driver School Candidate

In case anyone is as curious about this as I am - These pictures were taken yesterday (day OF install) - zero issue handling driving home (drove a LITTLE hard just to make sure). Everything felt great. I expect the front to drop another .25-.5 inches over the next few weeks as they settle. This is EXACTLY what I was going for and right now I'm very happy. Will update with settled pictures in a few weeks!

Old 04-04-20, 12:21 PM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

As others have said, going half and half on springs will have an effect on handling. Even if you are not track driving, what if you need to do an emergency maneuver in traffic? First, the spring and damping rate need to be consistent with stock. Just changing to shorter springs will NOT improve your handling. Shorter springs can bottom out on the outside wheel during harder cornering, causing a side of the car to go 'light' and resulting in a spin. This isn't my information, its directly from the head of product development of a major suspension company.

Quick Reply: RSR down only in front on AWD