IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Not satisfied with my RSR Down drop..

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-20, 10:54 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts
Default RSR Down Spring 2015 IS 250 non F sport AWD

Hello, had my springs installed today, the car looks very close to stock, I thought it would be more aggressive. Is this how it's supposed to look? I hoped that the front would be a bit lower because the rear looked fine. The rear sits fine but the front is too high still for my taste. Super downs look way too low so I went with Downs but it doesn't look as aggressive as I thought, maybe because I don't have an F sport? I don't see why that would matter though. Let me know what you guys think.

Driving difference: I haven't felt any difference, I do feel like the car is slightly lower, seems more stable but the ride is very close to stock, I thought it would stiffen the car but it seems almost the same. (I've never had a had a vehicle installed with springs too).

Also: have H&R Trak+ 25MM spacer on front, 20MM rear. Rubbing on BIG dips, not sure if it's front or back, would assume it's front though.

How much time is needed for the springs to settle?

(Car: 2015 IS 250 AWD)

Pics:
Not satisfied with my RSR Down drop..-3wlcr77.jpg
Not satisfied with my RSR Down drop..-lripdpf.jpg
Not satisfied with my RSR Down drop..-hlrpoiw.jpg

Last edited by swaangin; 03-18-20 at 10:15 PM. Reason: I am satisfied
Old 03-17-20, 10:59 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

If you had the springs installed today then you have about 2-3 weeks before they settle...depending on how much you drive the car.
I suggest reserving final judgement until they settle.
On the AWD, even the RWD, the front will be higher than the rear after they settle...so yes it will still have that reverse rake look.

If the pics were taken right after the install then I would say they look right for this moment in time...in a few weeks you will see a difference.

P.S. The rubbing is likely the rear.
Old 03-17-20, 11:03 AM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
If you had the springs installed today then you have about 2-3 weeks before they settle...depending on how much you drive the car.
I suggest reserving final judgement until they settle.
On the AWD, even the RWD, the front will be higher than the rear after they settle...so yes it will still have that reverse rake look.

If the pics were taken right after the install then I would say they look right for this moment in time...in a few weeks you will see a difference.

P.S. The rubbing is likely the rear.
When they settle, I am assuming it will be lower? Why do you think it's the rear that's rubbing? and yeah, had them installed 3 hours ago lol
Old 03-17-20, 11:11 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by swaangin
When they settle, I am assuming it will be lower? Why do you think it's the rear that's rubbing? and yeah, had them installed 3 hours ago lol
Looking at the pics and taking into consideration that some IS's, depending on tire brand, did experience rubbing with 20mm spacers, but no one (that I can recall) ever mentioned an issue with 15's in the rear.
Those that put 20's in the front commonly noted that a 25mm could likely fit with no issues.
You'll just have to listen closely to see where it's rubbing.

It will settle lower in a couple weeks.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
link13 (03-23-20), swaangin (03-17-20)
Old 03-17-20, 11:15 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

This is mine the day after the RSR Downs were installed.
The following users liked this post:
swaangin (03-17-20)
Old 03-17-20, 11:23 AM
swaangin
Racer

I'll take a pic after a full 24-48 hours
Old 03-17-20, 12:04 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

High *is* aggressive. When I see a sports sedan come up on my rear view aggressively and we're about to enter an S turn, it's the higher sedan I'm worried about. Not the slammed one. Slamming does all sorts of stuff to your geometry, roll centers, suspension travel and bushings are likely pinched. A slammed car will be unstable and trip all over itself during such maneuvers. It's the automotive equivalent of trying to run a marathon with your pants sagged around your ankles.

Your car looks good as is (assuming it doesn't settle lower), you've been dealt the premium hand. Celebrate.
Old 03-17-20, 12:40 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
Hello, had my springs installed today, the car looks very close to stock, I thought it would be more aggressive. Is this how it's supposed to look? I hoped that the front would be a bit lower because the rear looked fine. The rear sits fine but the front is too high still for my taste. Super downs look way too low so I went with Downs but it doesn't look as aggressive as I thought, maybe because I don't have an F sport? I don't see why that would matter though. Let me know what you guys think.

Driving difference: I haven't felt any difference, I do feel like the car is slightly lower, seems more stable but the ride is very close to stock, I thought it would stiffen the car but it seems almost the same. (I've never had a had a vehicle installed with springs too).

Also: have H&R Trak+ 25MM spacer on front, 20MM rear. Rubbing on BIG dips, not sure if it's front or back, would assume it's front though.

How much time is needed for the springs to settle?

(Car: 2015 IS 250 AWD)

Pics:

Some reported significant changes with settling.

But I can also recall 1-2 other threads specifically relating to AWD and that they did not see the same results as RWD (awd did not lower as much, especially the front).
Old 03-17-20, 12:48 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by E46CT
High *is* aggressive. When I see a sports sedan come up on my rear view aggressively and we're about to enter an S turn, it's the higher sedan I'm worried about. Not the slammed one. Slamming does all sorts of stuff to your geometry, roll centers, suspension travel and bushings are likely pinched. A slammed car will be unstable and trip all over itself during such maneuvers. It's the automotive equivalent of trying to run a marathon with your pants sagged around your ankles.

Your car looks good as is (assuming it doesn't settle lower), you've been dealt the premium hand. Celebrate.
Tbh, I am not sure which question you are answering but as I stated in my original post, I was not going for a "slammed" look which is why I didn't go with the Super Down springs. The rear drop I am fine with but the car should look proportionate and based off the responses I am getting the front is going to be higher than the rear.. I hope the front settles down a bit more.
Old 03-17-20, 02:22 PM
swaangin
Racer

2-4 hour update, looks like the car is sitting better on the front now.. starting to rub in the front and rear.. might have to go 20mm front and 15mm rear.. Not sure yet, had a full adult in the back seat.

pic:
Not satisfied with my RSR Down drop..-lbguiyd.jpg
Old 03-17-20, 03:01 PM
yayeeeet
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How can you know if your car rubs? with the rear spacers? Is there a sound or you can tell from the side of the rubbers?
Old 03-17-20, 03:25 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by yayeeeet
How can you know if your car rubs? with the rear spacers? Is there a sound or you can tell from the side of the rubbers?
You'll 100% hear it. It's like a loud noise. I had my dad sitting in the back and I was driving super slow, over really big bumps, I just heard it coming from the back. Then, I was making a turn off the highway into my development, a lot of big bumps, I was at full lock, going 5-10 mph, and then I heard the front rub. Although, when I was driving earlier today to test the rub, I was driving fast and I wasn't able to tell where the rubbing was coming from. Basically, I can't have people in my backseat anymore.
The following 2 users liked this post by swaangin:
momak (03-27-20), yayeeeet (03-17-20)
Old 03-17-20, 03:58 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Just move the rear spacers to the front and get 15mm for the rear and you should be good.
Old 03-17-20, 04:51 PM
yayeeeet
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you re -torque your wheel spacers? I also just installed RSR Downs with H&R Hub centric 20MM spacers all around, haven't had any rubbing even on a speed bump.
Old 03-17-20, 07:03 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by yayeeeet
Did you re -torque your wheel spacers? I also just installed RSR Downs with H&R Hub centric 20MM spacers all around, haven't had any rubbing even on a speed bump.
It was torqued with an impact gun so not sure. If anything, going to roll the front fenders.. even 25mm doesn't look that great tbh, still sits in the wheel arch, I wish this car allowed a more aggressive fitment

Quick Reply: Not satisfied with my RSR Down drop..