Battery Life

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-20, 04:14 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Battery Life

Hello everyone,

As many of you know, a flood totaled my 3IS and then I bought another, newer CPO 3IS within a matter of about a week's time. Anyhow, yesterday I was really inspecting everything -- engine air filter, cabin air filter, battery, etc., and I stopped at the battery because i noticed the battery has a build date of 7/16 (my car was built in 2/17 and is a 2017 model), it's also labeled Toyota Motor Corporation, so it's the original battery. Should I replace it? On one hand, I doubt they diagnosticians do everything on the CPO checklist that they say they are going to do, like load test the battery, for example, and while the engine cranks over and starts fine, I know very well how a battery can work well one day and not at all the next.

So my question is, should I replace it preemptively to avoid having to call Lexus Roadside Services when it inevitably fails? Or am I jumping the gun?
Old 03-24-20, 04:58 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

You might get another year or two out of it, or another day, hard to say.

You can get the battery tested for free at a lot of auto parts stores like autozone. I'd start there. If the battery does not pass the load test I'd go back to lexus and ask them to give you a new battery since that was supposed to be tested under the CPO inspection. Also, I "think" Toyota batteries have a 5 year warranty if I remember right.

Also, it's always a great idea to have a rechargeable jump pack stashed in your car/trunk. I have one in every single vehicle I drive, they are life savers sometimes, and can also be used to help someone else. Highly recommended purchase for any car on the road imo. They have saved my butt countless times and helped friends or strangers stuck before too. Something this like
THIS THIS

Basically I'm suggesting two things:
  1. Buy a jump pack
  2. If a new battery is needed get Lexus to give you one for free under warranty rather than purchase one.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by whoismiked; 03-24-20 at 05:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (03-24-20)
Old 03-24-20, 05:35 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts

I'd get a new battery and get it over with, either through lexus or buy one yourself. Not getting one just delays the inevitable.
davyjordi (03-24-20)
Old 03-24-20, 06:04 AM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Batteries are a gamble, the original battery in my 2IS was 8yrs old and still working but I replaced it anyways as the avg life span for a car battery is 5-6yrs (though good quality ones can last longer such as the one I had).
davyjordi (03-24-20)
Old 03-24-20, 06:10 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Thanks, everyone. I had to replace the battery in my last 2014 IS 250 F Sport twice in its six year life, so I was immediately a bit worried. I'll have someone at AutoZone load test the battery and if it fails, I'll have Lexus replace the battery, which they might deny doing as they could claim that it went bad within a matter of days after they had tested the battery at the time of their inspection. Or it might pass, but either way, I'd feel more comfortable with a new battery in there rather than a battery manufactured in 2016.

I'll also probably buy one of those jump packs. I had purchased one before and it was quite pricey and when I needed it, it didn't work and I had been recharging it regularly, but for whatever reason it just didn't work. I failed to buy another, but I'll give the one you linked a look, whoismiked.

Last edited by davyjordi; 03-24-20 at 06:14 AM.
whoismiked (03-24-20)
Old 03-24-20, 06:28 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
I'll also probably buy one of those jump packs. I had purchased one before and it was quite pricey and when I needed it, it didn't work and I had been recharging it regularly, but for whatever reason it just didn't work. I failed to buy another, but I'll give the one you linked a look, whoismiked.
I have the exact one I linked. It is great. I've had it a couple years and only charged it twice, but I do check it's battery level semi often. I've jumped around 10 cars with it within those couple charges. It holds a charge very well. 2 of the jumps I did were on my own car, once on an old battery that finally died, and once when I left some lights on and didn't drive the car for a few days. I've jumped a few friends car and helped a few strangers that were stranded. one of them a diesel truck. Worked great every time.

It also has some other great functions as an emergency roadside device, it has a flash light, emergency strobe/sos, and can be used a portable charging device to charge your phone if needed,

I keep a emergency roadside bag in the trunk of every car I have, each kit contains one of these, tools, gloves, raincoat, ect.

Last edited by whoismiked; 03-24-20 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-24-20, 10:29 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Thanks, everyone. I had to replace the battery in my last 2014 IS 250 F Sport twice in its six year life, so I was immediately a bit worried. I'll have someone at AutoZone load test the battery and if it fails, I'll have Lexus replace the battery, which they might deny doing as they could claim that it went bad within a matter of days after they had tested the battery at the time of their inspection. Or it might pass, but either way, I'd feel more comfortable with a new battery in there rather than a battery manufactured in 2016.

I highly recommend this one.
Amazon Amazon
Project Farm on YouTube tested a bunch out and Audew performed like a champ. This is the one I have it’s the model right before the one he tested but a little cheaper since it’s a little bit smaller capacity but more than enough for our cars. It jump started my completely dead battery in a matter of seconds.
davyjordi (03-24-20)
Old 03-24-20, 12:37 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! I'll probably go out and buy a new battery just to be on the safe side even though I'm not going much of anywhere.

On another note, I have an appointment on the 31st to have my new car's full front end covered in XPEL Ultimate -- full hood, full fenders, bumper, mirror caps, and headlights. They require me to drop the car off on the 31st and pick it up the morning of the 1st. Do you think that's unsafe if I sanitize the car with Clorox wipes prior to driving it away and then further sanitize it when I get home? The shop is in my city and is about 15 mins away.
Old 03-24-20, 12:54 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! I'll probably go out and buy a new battery just to be on the safe side even though I'm not going much of anywhere.

On another note, I have an appointment on the 31st to have my new car's full front end covered in XPEL Ultimate -- full hood, full fenders, bumper, mirror caps, and headlights. They require me to drop the car off on the 31st and pick it up the morning of the 1st. Do you think that's unsafe if I sanitize the car with Clorox wipes prior to driving it away and then further sanitize it when I get home? The shop is in my city and is about 15 mins away.
I'm having to be "extra" careful about this covid-19 too (aside from working 11 hrs a day due to the pandemic) and wondered the same thing about disinfecting the interior of a car.

Clorox wipes are pretty mild but also note antiseptic wipes/cleaner not necessarily effective on killing a virus. however a good wipe down and dry with them should be a good cleaning.

Just dont know if it's safe on the materials.
Old 03-24-20, 01:00 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I've always recommended to my old community that 5 years is about the safe time to replace an under-hood battery. 7-8 years if located in the trunk or in the cabin. Beyond that, it's a matter of how lucky do you feel.
Old 03-24-20, 01:01 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Not unsafe to use disinfectant wipes on your interior, as long as it doesn't have bleach. I've been doing it and hell, my steering wheel never looked so good and factory (dry, no oil) i was amazed at how new it looked after wiping it down with a disinfectant wipe.
Old 03-24-20, 01:17 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

yeah, but do you guys recommend going out to have the PPF put on on the 31st..i mean, i just drop the car off on the 31st in the morning, then on the 1st, pay and pick it up and drive home...safe or unsafe? by the time the 31st rolls around is the entire country going to be infected at the rate the virus is spreading now? ugh, i'm conflicted bc this virus is just going to have to run its course throughout the world, it's keeping the number of infected people low enough so that the hospital/healthcare system can handle it all.
Old 03-24-20, 07:41 PM
sobediny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased the one recommended by project farm on official. Performs good as advertised. https://www.audew.com/Audew-2000A-Peak-20000mAh-Car-Jump-Starter-for-All-Gas-Engines-or-Up-To-8_5L-Diesel-Engines-with-LCD-Power-Display-p-100058.html?
Old 03-25-20, 11:42 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

yeah, but do you guys recommend going out to have the PPF put on on the 31st..i mean, i just drop the car off on the 31st in the morning, then on the 1st, pay and pick it up and drive home...safe or unsafe? by the time the 31st rolls around is the entire country going to be infected at the rate the virus is spreading now? ugh, i'm conflicted bc this virus is just going to have to run its course throughout the world, it's keeping the number of infected people low enough so that the hospital/healthcare system can handle it all.
By the 31st well still be in the beginning frankly.

Social distance and wipes, likely your fine imo. Their business may not be around when it's on the decline, so you may help them stay open!

But if I or household members were particularly high risk, why risk it if your concerned right? Always the summer to get it done.
Old 03-25-20, 11:58 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HOMER350
By the 31st well still be in the beginning frankly.

Social distance and wipes, likely your fine imo. Their business may not be around when it's on the decline, so you may help them stay open!

But if I or household members were particularly high risk, why risk it if your concerned right? Always the summer to get it done.
thanks for answering! yes, very true. it's not a terribly long time from now and the cases in the US, while high, in this area of southern california are nowhere near as high as new york city. i think i'll be fine dropping the car off and then just disinfecting the car when i pick it up the next day.