IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS250 Driveshaft from 2 to 3 generation- possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-20, 01:08 PM
KamilSTI
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 Driveshaft from 2 to 3 generation- possible?

Hi, I need information. I have a Lexus IS250 Generation III and I probably have a skewed axle shaft because I feel vibrations on the body (I have new tires and wheels). Does anyone know if it will fit the drive shaft with IS250 Generation II? Visually, it looks the same.

Sample auction:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-GS-...IAAOSwoW1cwbSA

Old 03-24-20, 06:28 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

If you check the part numbers from a 2IS and 3IS 250 and they are the same, then it's the same part.
However, if you just got new wheels and tires, and the vibration just started, then it's likely the wheels or tires causing the issue.
No one has had a driveshaft that failed, so it's very unlikely you have a driveshaft issue...also there are two driveshafts, so even more doubtful that both failed.
The following users liked this post:
KamilSTI (04-18-20)
Old 03-25-20, 12:32 PM
KamilSTI
Rookie

Where is the best to compare part numbers?

Vibrations appeared earlier.
I have two sets of wheels (winter / summer) On the summer set I replaced all pons with new ones but it did not help, I still feel the vibration in the chair.

The feeling as if the wheels were crooked or poorly balanced but I also checked it.
Maybe a bit like I was traveling like this:

I checked the entire suspension personally and at Lexus. The car has low mileage (80500km = 50020mi)

The last thing that comes to my mind is a damaged joint or the entire drive shaft from the differential to the wheel. When I turn the wheel you can see delicate up / down movements. When I grab the drive shaft, I also feel a slight up / down slack.

I will only add that when I drive above 90-100km / h the vibrations disappear but return at 150km / h

I'm desperate.
Old 03-26-20, 05:18 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

You can check parts here: https://parts.lexus.com/

If you feel it in the seat, then it's likely from the rear.
Any chance one of the rear shocks is leaking or blown?

Before you replace the driveshafts, see if you can find another IS to compare the movement in the shaft with.
They should have a little play, but it's hard to define what is too much.
KamilSTI (04-18-20)
Old 03-26-20, 12:14 PM
KamilSTI
Rookie

I don't see these parts on this page.
I was on a periodic technical review and the shock absorbers are like new.

I would also like to add that when I press the pedal strongly, I feel vibrations for a moment, probably when the overload is the highest.

I attach my video that shows a little slack. I move up and down from the differential side.
It seems to me that the second drive shaft has a much smaller slack.
https://mega.nz/#!ql1XVBgI!tTz11ZqRi...PxYNe4KUCBDuYc

Often when I go uphill at a low speed and I have a turnover of 1200-1300 rpm feel like a gentle jerking

Old 03-27-20, 05:45 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

The link I posted is for an online parts catalog...you need to enter the vehicle you are looking for to find the part numbers for the parts you want.

https://parts.lexus.com/a/Lexus_2013...2420-4102.html

https://parts.lexus.com/a/Lexus_2015...2430-4102.html

The slack in the video is ok. Maybe something is wrong with one of the joints on either shaft.
Also, have you checked the propeller shaft that goes from the transmission to the differential? It could be a bad hanger bearing or u-joint.
KamilSTI (04-18-20)
Old 03-29-20, 12:14 PM
KamilSTI
Rookie

Thank you so much for the links.
They look similar but the part number is different.

The central shaft has been checked and is stiff but I will check it again.

In my free time, when I have a car in the garage, I will try to record a video to show how the drive shaft moves when turning the wheel.

But it looks like this movie:
Old 03-31-20, 01:46 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 610 Likes on 405 Posts

The driveshaft for the 3IS is longer than the 2IS. They are not interchangeable.

Jeff
KamilSTI (04-18-20)
Old 04-01-20, 07:29 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KamilSTI
Thank you so much for the links.
They look similar but the part number is different.

The central shaft has been checked and is stiff but I will check it again.

In my free time, when I have a car in the garage, I will try to record a video to show how the drive shaft moves when turning the wheel.

But it looks like this movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IxE_Br-U2M
The one in that video is ok...you will also notice that as it went faster that slight wobble at low speed smoothed out to the point where it was dead straight at high speed.
KamilSTI (04-18-20)
Old 04-16-20, 02:19 PM
KamilSTI
Rookie

I'm sending you a link to my OneDrive
Right side
https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArXL3bjqgS2ThMAt...JXnUQ?e=BagNVC

Left side
https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArXL3bjqgS2ThMAu...L_oQA?e=pcjScC

I recorded videos on the right and left. I also reviewed the brakes and found one rusty brake guide. I replaced it with a new one but the vibrations are still felt. I changed wheels from winter 16 'to summer 17' and the vibrations are more noticeable. One inch difference and the difference is big. I don't know whether to look for a suspension or drive system problem myself. I am also asking mechanic friends and they suggest replacing the central support of the propeller shaft or rubber element that connects the gearboxes with the propeller shaft. What do you think ?
Old 04-17-20, 06:46 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

To me both videos look about the same and within what I would consider normal for the driveshafts.

The 250 propeller shaft has a hanger bearing approx. in the middle and u-joints at each end.
I'm not sure what the "rubber element" is that the mechanics are referring to...for reference, the IS350 has a rubber coupler at each end of driveshaft instead of the u-joints, maybe that's what they are talking about.
A bad hanger bearing is certainly possible as a cause of your vibration, but I haven't heard of one going bad on an IS yet.

Here's are some questions:
  1. Do you feel the vibration when accelerating?
  2. Do you feel the vibration when cruising at a constant speed?
  3. Do you feel the vibration when decelerating?
  4. Out of the 3 questions above, when do you feel the vibration the worst?
  5. Do you hear any noises when the vibration is at its worst?
KamilSTI (04-18-20)
Old 04-17-20, 01:04 PM
KamilSTI
Rookie

I would consider normal for the driveshafts.
I hope because the new part is expensive. At Lexus Service it costs 900 $ + replacement

I'm not sure what the "rubber element" is that the mechanics are referring
I mean something like that.
  1. Yes, but only for a moment and not always. Usually when I stand and press the pedal for max
  2. Yes, this is the most annoying. Vibration is felt already at a low speed of 20-30 km / h. When I drive a distance of 3-4 kilometers, the vibrations are softer but they are still. I noticed that when it is sunny and the temperature is higher, the vibrations at the first kilometers are smaller than usual. When I go to work in the morning and it is cold (5 degrees Celsius) the vibrations are higher.
    I will add that the greatest vibrations I write about for the first 3-4 kilometers are when the car is standing for several hours.
  3. The vibration intensity does not change when I am slowly accelerating, braking or having a constant speed. I feel vibrations all over the car but I feel it most on the seat and the floor. I once made a video so that the mechanic understood what I meant. I'm going on a straight and smooth road (60km / h) and look at my pants.
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArXL3bjqgS2ThMA2YyKDfPSBuoXFAQ?e=Elq44s
  4. At constant speed they are the most annoying
  5. No noises Only vibration.
Old 04-17-20, 03:49 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 610 Likes on 405 Posts

Rubber flex couplings (Giubos) are not used on the IS250. The prop shaft has a u-joint and that yoke flange bolts directly to the differential pinion flange on the IS250.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 04-17-20 at 03:56 PM.
KamilSTI (04-18-20)
Old 04-17-20, 04:09 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KamilSTI
I mean something like that.
  1. Yes, but only for a moment and not always. Usually when I stand and press the pedal for max
  2. Yes, this is the most annoying. Vibration is felt already at a low speed of 20-30 km / h. When I drive a distance of 3-4 kilometers, the vibrations are softer but they are still. I noticed that when it is sunny and the temperature is higher, the vibrations at the first kilometers are smaller than usual. When I go to work in the morning and it is cold (5 degrees Celsius) the vibrations are higher.
    I will add that the greatest vibrations I write about for the first 3-4 kilometers are when the car is standing for several hours.
  3. The vibration intensity does not change when I am slowly accelerating, braking or having a constant speed. I feel vibrations all over the car but I feel it most on the seat and the floor. I once made a video so that the mechanic understood what I meant. I'm going on a straight and smooth road (60km / h) and look at my pants.
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArXL3bjqgS2ThMA2YyKDfPSBuoXFAQ?e=Elq44s
  4. At constant speed they are the most annoying
As Jeff stated below, that rubber coupler is not found on the IS250.

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Rubber flex couplings (Giubos) are not used on the IS250. The prop shaft has a u-joint and that yoke flange bolts directly to the differential pinion flange on the IS250.

Jeff
Based on your answers to the questions, it doesn't appear to me like the issue is the rear driveshafts or the diff.
Some of your answers point directly to a tire issue, but you stated it happens with both sets of tires and it happens more with the 17 inch set.
I can't see the wheels, so I'll trust that you've inspected both sets of wheels and they are all good...and by that I mean the rubber is not old (more than 5 years) and they are not oddly worn or flat spotted.
Assuming the wheels are ok, then the next thing to check is the propeller shaft hanger bearing and the u-joints at both ends.
The only challenge is you can only see the rear u-joint under the vehicle. The exhaust and heatshield would have to be removed to access the hanger bearing and front u-joint.
Once again, no one to date has indicated any driveshaft or propeller shaft issues on a 3IS, so it's tough to think you are the one and only after the vehicle has been out for almost 7 years.
The mileage on your vehicle is not that high either...according to your last video, so this is definitely not a normal occurrence.
KamilSTI (04-18-20)
Old 04-18-20, 04:13 AM
KamilSTI
Rookie

So I can check the propeller shaft. It is a pity that there is no video on Youtube how to get to it but I guess it will be a lot of work.

Some of your answers point directly to a tire
As you say. feeling like the wheels are crooked or tires. But all wheels were checked several times and re-weighted. Summer tires are new bought in 2019

Sometimes when I drive at a constant speed (60-70 km / h 1200 - 1300rpm) uphill I feel like the car starts a little jerking. Impression of not equal engine operation. What could it be?
The pointer from engine speed does not tremble.

In 10,000 km I have to replace the spark plugs, can they cause vibrations?

Quick Reply: IS250 Driveshaft from 2 to 3 generation- possible?