IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

magnet/latch on gas tank door

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 03:43 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default magnet/latch on gas tank door

does anyone have this issue where the magnet/latch on the gas tank door is not holding the door closed? It seems like the magnet/latch on mine is getting weak because after i've been driving for a while, the door will pop open (not all the way, but the initial open gap before you open all the way to fill gas). Everytime i lock/unlock the car, the locking mechanism is quite loud...is there an easy fix? i'm not looking to pay a dealer some crazy fee for something like this to be fixed...

The following users liked this post:
momak (04-02-20)
Old 03-28-20, 10:47 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Was there ever a magnet? Mine doesnt have one.

Make suretl the tether attached to the gad gap is feeding nicely UNDER the gas cap when you close the door.
oddly enough that's the fix everytime someone posts this question, myself included.
Old 03-28-20, 12:08 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

I think it is some kind of magnet but I am 99% sure it's because your wire isn't tucked in the right way. After I have someone pump my gas and they don't put the gas cap wire counter clock wise, it makes a loud noise when I lock it. Tuck the wire underneath, not over and then close your gas cap and lock, you should be fine.
Old 03-28-20, 08:39 PM
Sirachacha
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default check the tether

can confirm this happened to me. common issue.. but check the tether. could be wrapped in a weird way
Old 03-28-20, 10:39 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Was there ever a magnet? Mine doesnt have one.

Make suretl the tether attached to the gad gap is feeding nicely UNDER the gas cap when you close the door.
oddly enough that's the fix everytime someone posts this question, myself included.
not sure if it's an actual magnet but when you open the gas tank door, on the right side you'll see a little round thing that clicks in and out...i just called it a magnet because when you push the door to close it, i presume the surface of that piece is a magnet that holds the door closed. sigh...see how difficult it is to explain stuff when i'm not a car guy...HAHA..

anyways...i think it's because i lowered the car and now the suspension is stiffer...i think from all the bumps in the road, it's kicking the door loose because it didn't happen quiet as often when the car was stock height...
Old 03-29-20, 07:17 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 287 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by logix1229
i think it's because i lowered the car and now the suspension is stiffer...i think from all the bumps in the road, it's kicking the door loose because it didn't happen quiet as often when the car was stock height...
I do not think this is the case, TONS of us have lowered cars and a slightly stiffer ride would not cause that.

Did you try what Homer suggested? This gas door issue comes up around here a lot and 99% of the time the solution he provided actually fixes the problem. I've had it happen to me as well and what he suggested fixed it. The fact that you stated the electronic activated magnet lock is loud when you lock the doors further proves to me it is still working but the door is not as close to the magnet as it should be, which leads to further evidence to the fact the the tether being twisted/bound up causing the door to not close all the way / easily.

In case you didn't understand what he was suggesting, allow me to word it differently:

Your gas cap has a plastic wire that connects it to the door, if this wire is not laying / routed correctly it will add tension against the fuel door and cause the fuel door to pop open, again common issue, but easily resolved. The wire needs to run under the gas cap and wrap around counterclockwise ( under -> up -> to the left).

Try that and report back. Show us pics of how your wire is routed if need be.
Old 03-29-20, 11:17 AM
swaangin
Racer

not sure if it's an actual magnet but when you open the gas tank door, on the right side you'll see a little round thing that clicks in and out...i just called it a magnet because when you push the door to close it, i presume the surface of that piece is a magnet that holds the door closed. sigh...see how difficult it is to explain stuff when i'm not a car guy...HAHA..

anyways...i think it's because i lowered the car and now the suspension is stiffer...i think from all the bumps in the road, it's kicking the door loose because it didn't happen quiet as often when the car was stock height...
no bro literally check the wire lol it's not because of the bumps.. the magnet is strong
Old 03-29-20, 09:10 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Hey guys, I've double checked to make sure the gap cap wire is tucked in nicely below the gas cap. I drove around for a bit today and it didn't pop out all the way but it did pop up a little. I can tell it's coming loose because when I go to lock/unlock the door, you can hear the motor thing in the gas cap door pretty loud. When I push it in to make sure it's fully closed/sealed and lock/unlock the door again, it's not as loud. Since i didn't drive as much today, (stupid quarantine), it didn't pop out but i'm almost certain on a regular commute to work or typical day driving around, it's bound to pop out....

Thanks for the advice and tips...i'll try to find some way to get the door to stay sealed closed...hopefully it'll be an easy fix.
Old 03-30-20, 04:51 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

There is no magnet. The latch is mechanical. And on top of that this door locks and unlocks with your car. You'll notice it's probably bumping out when the car attempts to lock the gas cap. That's because it's not engaged fully. As someone else stated in this thread it has to do with the placement of the stupid wire (leash) that connects the cap to the car. Tuck it elsewhere. So your door can close 100% stand there and lock and unlock your car. You'll know if it working properly or not.

There have been cases where the dealer needed to adjust it. There's so many threads about this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...pops-open.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ing-doors.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...5-gas-cap.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ay-closed.html
Old 03-30-20, 05:26 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 287 Likes on 194 Posts

Hey guys, I've double checked to make sure the gap cap wire is tucked in nicely below the gas cap. I drove around for a bit today and it didn't pop out all the way but it did pop up a little. I can tell it's coming loose because when I go to lock/unlock the door, you can hear the motor thing in the gas cap door pretty loud. When I push it in to make sure it's fully closed/sealed and lock/unlock the door again, it's not as loud. Since i didn't drive as much today, (stupid quarantine), it didn't pop out but i'm almost certain on a regular commute to work or typical day driving around, it's bound to pop out....

Thanks for the advice and tips...i'll try to find some way to get the door to stay sealed closed...hopefully it'll be an easy fix.
Could you snap a picture of your cap and fuel door so we can take a look? It still sounds like it might be the issue (hopefully).

We already described how it needs to be routed under the cap itself, but it needs to be pointed a certain way on the attachment on the fuel door also (towards you laying against a flat spot). A picture would really help us diagnose if it's the wire.
Old 03-30-20, 07:50 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Ciggy
There is no magnet. The latch is mechanical. And on top of that this door locks and unlocks with your car. You'll notice it's probably bumping out when the car attempts to lock the gas cap. That's because it's not engaged fully. As someone else stated in this thread it has to do with the placement of the stupid wire (leash) that connects the cap to the car. Tuck it elsewhere. So your door can close 100% stand there and lock and unlock your car. You'll know if it working properly or not.

There have been cases where the dealer needed to adjust it. There's so many threads about this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...pops-open.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ing-doors.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...5-gas-cap.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ay-closed.html
I didnt click in any of you linked threads but one member reported the dealer changed a spring, according to the dealer
Old 03-30-20, 09:52 AM
robawrench
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you tried lubricating the hinges and locking mechanism? It may be that the door is not truly getting closed from the last time you opened it.
Old 03-30-20, 07:11 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I didnt click in any of you linked threads but one member reported the dealer changed a spring, according to the dealer
Thought it was a magnet, good to know it's a latch mechanism.. but yeah, my wire got so tangled and messed up that my gas cap was constantly open, the dealer replaced my wire under warranty.. it's better now but when gas station attendants put the wire the wrong way, I find that my gas cap is open