IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Using Semi-Manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 03:26 PM
laiyukchun
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Using Semi-Manual

I just want to see my car's full potential by just checking it out this feature. I feel like the best way to see the car's full potential is by switching to sport mode just so you have a faster rev when changing gears. I say this because I have watched videos stating that speeding up and playing with the RPM is how to successfully change gears without stopping back and building up from gears 1, 2, 3, etc. Thanks in advance if anybody else used this option too.
I have a 2017 IS300 F Sport

My questions regarding to the IS300's manual transmission option are:
1. Do you get bad gas mileage when using manual?
2. How similar is this option to an actual manual car? Is the only difference is having a clutch and pedal?
3. Other thoughts and comments on this transmission that you feel like people should know about?
Old 04-04-20, 04:09 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by laiyukchun
I just want to see my car's full potential by just checking it out this feature. I feel like the best way to see the car's full potential is by switching to sport mode just so you have a faster rev when changing gears. I say this because I have watched videos stating that speeding up and playing with the RPM is how to successfully change gears without stopping back and building up from gears 1, 2, 3, etc. Thanks in advance if anybody else used this option too.
I have a 2017 IS300 F Sport

My questions regarding to the IS300's manual transmission option are:
1. Do you get bad gas mileage when using manual?
2. How similar is this option to an actual manual car? Is the only difference is having a clutch and pedal?
3. Other thoughts and comments on this transmission that you feel like people should know about?
1. I only use mine intermittently so dont know the difference exactly. But mpg will never be as good in manual mode no matter how hard your try (which then, what would be the point of using it). In drive/auto I'm in 5th gear by I think as low as 25 mph. 8th gear before 40mph. Manual mode wont let you shift that early.

2. Its faster than most could shift on a manual imo.

3. The car drives the fastest in sport mode, auto shifting. I've tried as hard as I could and am pretty good in manual mode...you'll never match the performance of this trans in auto sport mode yourself while using manual.
The following users liked this post:
laiyukchun (04-04-20)
Old 04-04-20, 08:20 PM
laiyukchun
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your response. I feel like this answers the concerns I had when I played manual as well.

I also feel like this option is not good when being fuel efficient as it puts some sort of strain hence why it probably needs more fuel to do manual. It's some what of a disappointment to hear that manual sport mode is better than auto sport mode.

Maybe there is some sort of computer system when switching gears because it is figuring out the best way to create the smoothest ride. Because of this reason- the car does not go quite as fast.
After all, Lexus cars are known to be a quiet and smooth ride kind of car.

Old 04-05-20, 09:22 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by laiyukchun
Thanks for your response. I feel like this answers the concerns I had when I played manual as well.

I also feel like this option is not good when being fuel efficient as it puts some sort of strain hence why it probably needs more fuel to do manual. It's some what of a disappointment to hear that manual sport mode is better than auto sport mode.

Maybe there is some sort of computer system when switching gears because it is figuring out the best way to create the smoothest ride. Because of this reason- the car does not go quite as fast.
After all, Lexus cars are known to be a quiet and smooth ride kind of car.
I think you misread his post, he was saying that you shifting with the paddleshifters yourself still won't match the speed of the car's TCU shifting it by itself. I'm pretty sure that's what he was stating which would IMO be accurate because in sport mode auto the car is making calculations and decisions way faster than a human can.
Old 04-05-20, 11:27 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
I think you misread his post, he was saying that you shifting with the paddleshifters yourself still won't match the speed of the car's TCU shifting it by itself. I'm pretty sure that's what he was stating which would IMO be accurate because in sport mode auto the car is making calculations and decisions way faster than a human can.
That is what I was saying thanks Flash5.
Old 04-06-20, 12:08 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

+1 to what others have said. I think ultimately, how you drive affects the mileage more than any mode, including Eco mode. I don't think the manual mode in this car will give you as much control as a true manual transmission, but, at least the IS allows you to legitimately short-shift and also hit the rev limiter (provided TC is fully off).