Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 02:28 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,740 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
.. 1) that camero has an 8 cylinder 6.2L engine
2) looks like absolute s***
3) the interior probably all plastic.. you're comparing a luxury compact sports sedan to some cheapo american plastic car built on a conveyor belt and assembled by robots
Originally Posted by Benoit
Compairing a 6.2 V8 mass market economy car with a 3.5 V6 Luxury sedan ? Yes, they will probably not have the same power.
Yeah the Camaro SS convertible I rented beat the IS in the "fun" department, but had nowhere near the refinement. Just noisy and creaky over bumps, and generally had more road/wind noise. The interior quality wasn't as bad as some might think, but mine was also a fully-loaded 2SS model - so leather was everywhere. For a "mainstream" car it was definitely fine. I'd rather daily an IS though, hands down, as it'd be much more comfortable. If you want to have the RWD V8 coupe and the refinement... I guess you'd have to get the RC F.
Old 04-09-20, 03:17 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

I imagine a lot of the money spent on a non-premium V8 car (mustang, camaro, charger etc) goes towards the powertrain and the required brakes and suspension to back it up. all that stuff has to be beefed up and is expensive. axles, driveshaft, final drives, cooling, etc. not much money left over for interior bits. If you want both powertrain + refinement, welp, that's where you come in at 75+k. So it's not fair to compare a 4-banger premium car to a V8 high performance non-premium car then criticise the V8 car for its interior. at that price point, you have to pick where your money goes. It's not like Chevy can't do both, it's just that someone's gotta pay for it.

That's where the C8 Corvette comes in. Pretty much poops on everything in every category, for much less money. I wasn't crazy about that car at first but now I like it after seeing the reviews and what it can do.

also as far as the creaking and squeaking, i'm sure much of that is because it was a convertible. the other part is that chassis is old. not that i'm backing camaros.. i actually hate that car. the new one anyway... i'd rock a 93-2000 camaro V8. stock!
Old 04-09-20, 10:03 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 294 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
I have no idea, but as a general rule of thumb forced induction isn't as reliable as N/A all things being equal. It's one of the things that attracted me to the GS platform - yes the 3.5L V6 mated to the 6spd is old but it's also tried and true. That's a proven reliable engine I can count on...I drive about 20,000/year. For me that's far more important than performance (and the maintenance bills that invariably start to stack up.) Anyhow, 0-60 in 5.7sec is fast enough for me.

When my 1993 Cadillac was produced (late 1992) the Northstar engine by GM was unveiled. Real car people on here will likely be familiar with that engine. At the time it was revolutionary - a 4.6L V8 that put out 300hp and had good gas mileage (for the time). It also suffered from serious headgasket failures. Fortunately my grandfather opted for the luxury version of the Seville which came with the older 1980's 4.9L V8 - an antiquated yet proven engine that is actually quite torquey at lower RPM's. That engine is still running great to this day almost 30yrs later. Were he to opt for the touring Seville that came with the 4.6L Northstar I'm pretty confident I wouldn't still have the car today.
Yup, I had an STS (Seville Touring Sedan) the last year before the Northstar went into them. Powerful car. That weight, combined with the front wheel drive, plowed through snow drifts with ease. Although I did do a $1000 damage to the lower front fascia when I rammed through the snow plows bank at the end of my driveway when I returned home from a trip, and the bank had been frozen for couple of days (and I was in a bad mood to start with).
Old 04-10-20, 12:19 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with much of the video. In a vacuum, the IS is an amazing car. It does general car things pretty well and I think it has a sporty and compliant ride. I ultimately chose it with long term ownership in mind.

However compared to much of the competition, it truly does fall behind in most metrics. It's an aged platform though, so not entirely it's own fault.

My biggest complaints are generally only limited to poor fuel economy, power, and steering. I know many here disagree with the comment about vague steering, but it really is especially compared to something like a BMW. The IS steering weights nicely, especially in Sport+, but my God is the on-center feel awful.
Old 04-10-20, 06:54 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes i would have to agree with the vague steering as well. Steering feel, like most "feel" things is a bit subjective though and all depends on what the person is used to. Steering in general across all makes has been getting more vague over the past decades so if the person is used to older power steering technology or just prefers exotic/sports car steering then obviously they will find the steering on a luxury sport sedan not to be very sharp in comparison. I don't know much about the Straight Pipes dudes, but they showed that one guy's modded IS with exhaust and they review/drive all sorts of cars, including exotics, so maybe they just prefer sharper steering.
Old 04-10-20, 07:27 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

The steering feel is one of the things I liked about the car. When cornering at high speeds or driving in the rain i know exactly where I am on the road.

I know what you mean about the straight line steering feel though. But I think that's because its just not as tight feeling as some. Sport mode helps.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (04-10-20)
Old 04-10-20, 07:31 AM
Cleatus
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Infotainment system in this car really depresses me. When I bought the car in 2013 it wasn’t so bad considering at the time no CarPlay exists but it feels really ancient now. Even the latest version in the review with widescreen display the system is pathetically slow to use.
THIS

the info system/sound is just GARBAGE.

the interface is stupid and clunky-- like something on a 2008 vehicle

the sound SUCKS

sorry...but it is....

also... having to subscribe to a service to start the car from the fey FOB???/really?

Last edited by Cleatus; 04-10-20 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-10-20, 07:55 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,740 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Yeah, if you're comparing the IS to a BMW, at least for F30 3-series or the current 2-series (don't recall its codename) I do think that, stock-for-stock, the IS feels a little firmer and more connected to the road. The BMW's steering has no more feel than a Camry's steering - this improves slightly if you go for something like an M235i/M240i but not substantially. I still prefer my GTI's steering to those BMWs, and it's front-wheel drive! The IS had very nicely-tuned steering though. Sure, it was somewhat numb, but it definitely was precise and accurate. I will say, I do like the variable-ratio steering in my GTI - makes parking lots easier than they were in the IS but also isn't darty on the highway. Such a system is available in the IS, but I've not had a chance to sample it.
Old 04-10-20, 08:52 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by CLUM
Yes i would have to agree with the vague steering as well. Steering feel, like most "feel" things is a bit subjective though and all depends on what the person is used to. Steering in general across all makes has been getting more vague over the past decades so if the person is used to older power steering technology or just prefers exotic/sports car steering then obviously they will find the steering on a luxury sport sedan not to be very sharp in comparison. I don't know much about the Straight Pipes dudes, but they showed that one guy's modded IS with exhaust and they review/drive all sorts of cars, including exotics, so maybe they just prefer sharper steering.
I think it really does come down to what one is used to. This is my third car. My first car was a 2002 IS300 that my parents gifted me when I was in high school. I moved onto university and bought a 2008 IS 250 F Sport after graduating and then in 2014 bought a 2014 IS 250 F Sport after graduating from graduate school. I own a 2018 IS 300 F Sport only because the 2014 250 was totaled.

Anyhow, I really have only driven Lexuses my entire life aside from rental cars when on vacation. I think the steering is pretty damn good on the 3IS as well as the 1IS -- the 2IS it was just okay. But again, I don't drive exotics all the time like Yuri and Jakub.