IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Key Fob Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-20, 12:49 PM
gr200t
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob Issue

Hey Guys, i've been trying to do some research, but either i'm looking for the wrong thing, or no one seems to have this issue. I have a 2016 Lexus IS200T, with 48k Miles. I Purchased the car at 44k Miles. When i first bought it, i had no issues with the key fob, i was able to lock and unlock the car from a far distance. Over the past few months, the signal strength became weak. You would have to be in a <1 ft radius of the car for the doors to unlock and lock. I don't have a issue with starting, or unlocking the car by grabbing the handle. First thing i did was replace the key fob battery with a direct replacement that was in the key already. (Energizer CR2032 Per Lexus Site) This did not help at all, thought i may have gotten a bad battery, so i bought another one, and still experienced the same issue. I'm not sure what else could be the issue. The battery in the car is an original battery, and i know it's getting close to its time to replace, but i wouldn't think this would cause this issue as the battery still has full charge. The red led light on the key fob lights up when the buttons are pressed, so it does seem like the buttons are registering. Also, i only have one key for the car, so i don't have a spare i can test with.
Also good to know, some times i can lock and unlock from maybe 10ft-ish away. Very rarely.

Anyone know what this could be? Thank you for your time!
Old 04-12-20, 01:14 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

I've found that these type batteries can be counterfeit or old stock. My solution is to buy them from a pharmacy, hardware or Wally world with high turnover where you're assured a fresh genuine battery, expiration dated is even better. Another tip is to hold the remote against your jawbone when pressing button, it acts as an antenna amplifier. I know this doesn't exactly match your situation but hope it helps. There is an antenna receiver in the car, that could have an issue. But no idea where it's located. My Mercedes had one located under the car near the gas tank. Try searching this forum and other models too. Sometimes the answer isn't on the first results page, so it pays to be patient and read lots of results.
Old 04-12-20, 01:19 PM
gr200t
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by swfla
I've found that these type batteries can be counterfeit or old stock. My solution is to buy them from a pharmacy, hardware or Wally world with high turnover where you're assured a fresh genuine battery, expiration dated is even better. Another tip is to hold the remote against your jawbone when pressing button, it acts as an antenna amplifier. I know this doesn't exactly match your situation but hope it helps. There is an antenna receiver in the car, that could have an issue. But no idea where it's located. My Mercedes had one located under the car near the gas tank. Try searching this forum and other models too. Sometimes the answer isn't on the first results page, so it pays to be patient and read lots of results.
Thanks for the quick response. First battery i purchased was at Walmart, second one was a Walgreens. Although i don't see a expiration date, the packaging has 2019 on it, so i'd imagine it's fairly new. I'll start scrubbing trough the forms. Thank you for your time!

Last edited by gr200t; 04-12-20 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-12-20, 02:45 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

The only two possibilities is outside interference or the battery.
Depending on where you are testing the distance out, the results will vary.
For instance, if you're in an empty parking lot, not a structure, and there are only light poles around and no other cars or obstacles between you and the car, the distance should be at it's max.
If you're inside your house and the car in outside on the driveway, you're likely at minimum distance, because the house is the interference.
The fact that it works at any distance indicates the transmission and reception components are working...the issue is just signal strength/interference.

If the distance is still short in an open space, then it's the battery.

Honestly I can't even tell you how short the distance is or should be because I use the touch handle all the time. I can't even remember the last time i pressed a button on the remote.
Old 04-12-20, 06:18 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 198 Likes on 155 Posts

I also use the door handle exclusively. I would highly recommend getting a second key fob. If something happens to the one you have, it's very expensive to get one made.
It's much better to do it now as you have a key fob. I bought a 2016 200 F Sport in October and got a second key right away. Peace of mind. I have 42,000 miles on the car.
Old 04-12-20, 07:10 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

I used to live in Naples FL and having remote opening windows programmed along with the door locks made the car's interior temperature in summer heat bearable, even if it was just from 75 ft away and 15 seconds of ventilation! In San Diego, it's nice in the summer heat too. You might still have original warranty left, 48 months, 50,000 miles. I second the idea of buying another remote now even though they are pricey.
Old 04-12-20, 08:03 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

This is an odd one. Only sometimes works at 10ft away, thats not far at all with interference or not. And you've done 2 batteries so id rule that out.

Maybe take the suggestion on picking up your 2nyour fob before you need it, as maybe that's the issue. Although that would be rare, I don't understand why its barely working. There could be a bus between you and the car and it should work at 10ft. Mine will work at 100ft with some interference.

Only other though is clean and check the connections inside the key fob. Make sure your battery has contact but sounds like it does since the light was coming on when you pushed the button.
Old 04-12-20, 09:39 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Originally Posted by HOMER350
This is an odd one. Only sometimes works at 10ft away, thats not far at all with interference or not. And you've done 2 batteries so id rule that out.

Maybe take the suggestion on picking up your 2nyour fob before you need it, as maybe that's the issue. Although that would be rare, I don't understand why its barely working. There could be a bus between you and the car and it should work at 10ft. Mine will work at 100ft with some interference.

Only other though is clean and check the connections inside the key fob. Make sure your battery has contact but sounds like it does since the light was coming on when you pushed the button.
If you get the second key fob from the dealer, they can check the original one out. As HOMER350 said, if the second key fob works fine, then something is up with the original.
Old 04-12-20, 09:42 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Originally Posted by swfla
I used to live in Naples FL and having remote opening windows programmed along with the door locks made the car's interior temperature in summer heat bearable, even if it was just from 75 ft away and 15 seconds of ventilation! In San Diego, it's nice in the summer heat too. You might still have original warranty left, 48 months, 50,000 miles. I second the idea of buying another remote now even though they are pricey.
Pricey yes, but cheap insurance against something untoward happening to the original one. You don't want to have your car towed and pay the huge price for a key fob
without having one to bring in. I bought a second key fob when my wife got her used Infiniti QX30. I don't know why so many used cars only have one key fob.
Old 07-24-23, 07:08 PM
gr200t
3rd Gear

Bumping Post. Finally got around to getting an new key fob, programmed, and still having the same issue.
Here's what’s been done
  • New Main Battery
  • New Key fob batteries (I've tried about 4 different brands at this point)
  • New Key Fob itself
After all of this, the key still refuses to work unless less than 1 ft away from car. The touch handle works intermittently, and makes it look like I’m trying to jack my own car. I have noticed that the key fob works much better in colder temps. The hotter the day, the less likely I am to get into my own car, keylessly. Never have any issues starting the car once inside.
I have seen a really old post about replacing the Body Control Module, as well as the Keyless antenna, which helped resolve a similar issue. Does anyone know where the Body Control Module is located on the 3is? Or any new people experiencing this issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated.