IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Has Anyone Switched from 0w20 to 0w16 Oil? 2L Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-20, 03:23 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
If you’re willing to spend the money on the best oil there is and still change it out every 5k miles go for it haha. I’ll use Amazon oil and then we can compare at 100k miles and see how our engines are doing lol.
i dunno, you're the one smelling gas in your oil...lol
Old 04-13-20, 04:38 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i dunno, you're the one smelling gas in your oil...lol
With Mobil-1 EP which had 0 issues on my G37S lol. Also, turbocharged GDI engines are notorious for oil dilution so something to keep an eye out for anyone with the 4 banger turbo even though we also have port injection.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (04-13-20)
Old 04-16-20, 10:09 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,632 Posts

There's going to be almost no difference between oil brands or even viscosities (providing you don't stray wildly) after extended long term use. So no use of jerking off to brands/types etc. Not these days. Maybe in the 1980s sure.

0-16 tends to be a lot pricier, so no real reason to use it, even if it was deemed OK. So just stick with the one the manufacturer says to use. Besides its stupid cheap on amazon. My last score was $16 for a 5 qt jug - Castrol 0-20 magnatec. next time it will be amazon, and so forth. i just get whats cheapest as long as it meets spec.

If money is no object and/or you drive super hard, then get Amsoil or Redline.
Old 04-16-20, 12:42 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
There's going to be almost no difference between oil brands or even viscosities (providing you don't stray wildly) after extended long term use. So no use of jerking off to brands/types etc. Not these days. Maybe in the 1980s sure.

0-16 tends to be a lot pricier, so no real reason to use it, even if it was deemed OK. So just stick with the one the manufacturer says to use. Besides its stupid cheap on amazon. My last score was $16 for a 5 qt jug - Castrol 0-20 magnatec. next time it will be amazon, and so forth. i just get whats cheapest as long as it meets spec.

If money is no object and/or you drive super hard, then get Amsoil or Redline.
Yes the difference between Mobile and Amazon isn't even worth thinking about, its very small.

When I bought my IS i was still stuck on the 3k mile oil changes Mobile 1. That's prehistoric thinking.
I do every 8-10k mile changed with Amazon or my mechanics "cheap" oil now. +100k miles on the car its like new.
Old 04-16-20, 07:14 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Yes the difference between Mobile and Amazon isn't even worth thinking about, its very small.

When I bought my IS i was still stuck on the 3k mile oil changes Mobile 1. That's prehistoric thinking.
I do every 8-10k mile changed with Amazon or my mechanics "cheap" oil now. +100k miles on the car its like new.
i dunno, i'm still gonna stick to the 5k intervals with the pennzoil platinum -- not ultra platinum -- but platinum because it's like 22$ for 5 quarts and because GDI engines are known to have a host of problems, i'd rather err on the side of caution with an oil of higher quality. i like that the pennzoil platinum series is made of natural gas, which may prove to be gimmicky, but right now it sounds pretty fantastic.
Old 04-17-20, 10:12 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,798 Likes on 1,927 Posts

Regarding oil change intervals, I've been doing a bit of research about oils lately, since I am now working with an indy on my GTI for most maintenance things including oil changes and would like to specify the oil used. You can use the TBN, or total base number, as a way of determining the relative longevity of an oil. Essentially what this number means is the resistance of the oil to become acidic over time and cause damage and wear to the engine. Higher is better. Average would be something like 7 or 8 when the oil is new. For instance, I've seen oil analysis (on Project Farm) of the oil I used in my GTI, Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200, at 7.1 new. It's highly regarded for most German vehicles, though you can find many other oils with higher starting TBNs.

The TBN isn't everything though, it's simply a way to guesstimate how long you can run the oil. You'd also want to check the remainder of additives in the oil compared to when it was new, for instance. I don't really know all the ins and outs of it to be honest.

You won't really know what's good for your engine without doing an oil analysis and/or looking inside the engine. But I'll echo what others have said, that most modern oils including Amazon will do fine so long as they meet the standards (apparently ILSAC GF-5 per the manual) required by Lexus, to go longer than 5,000 miles. Also depends on your driving though, and how you want to maintain the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (04-18-20)
Old 04-18-20, 12:04 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
Regarding oil change intervals, I've been doing a bit of research about oils lately, since I am now working with an indy on my GTI for most maintenance things including oil changes and would like to specify the oil used. You can use the TBN, or total base number, as a way of determining the relative longevity of an oil. Essentially what this number means is the resistance of the oil to become acidic over time and cause damage and wear to the engine. Higher is better. Average would be something like 7 or 8 when the oil is new. For instance, I've seen oil analysis (on Project Farm) of the oil I used in my GTI, Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200, at 7.1 new. It's highly regarded for most German vehicles, though you can find many other oils with higher starting TBNs.

The TBN isn't everything though, it's simply a way to guesstimate how long you can run the oil. You'd also want to check the remainder of additives in the oil compared to when it was new, for instance. I don't really know all the ins and outs of it to be honest.

You won't really know what's good for your engine without doing an oil analysis and/or looking inside the engine. But I'll echo what others have said, that most modern oils including Amazon will do fine so long as they meet the standards (apparently ILSAC GF-5 per the manual) required by Lexus, to go longer than 5,000 miles. Also depends on your driving though, and how you want to maintain the vehicle.
really good info here -- thanks!
Old 08-16-20, 10:36 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah, I know, I'm just super cautious with this car (as I was with my previous) as it's my daily and I'm not a student anymore or something who has the liberty to tune the car and potentially cause for problems that would be covered by a Lexus-backed warranty. I would love to do this and that to the car -- a tune in particular -- but I also have to have reliable transportation to get to and from work (I have a roundtrip daily 55 mile commute) from August through the end of May (I teach kindergarten). So, I was able to purchase a bumper-to-bumper VSA warranty extension for a grand extending the coverage until 2026 with unlimited mileage. That's a steal for anyone who's ever purchased a Lexus VSA, but no one is buying cars right now, so I got a great deal. Anyhow, the point is, I want the car to last and I'm trying to ensure that I do all of the things necessary to increase longevity. Like, I'm going to have the oil changed every 5k miles even though the service intervals call for oil changes every 10k miles. It just makes me feel better with the amount of driving that I do during a large portion of the year to change the oil more frequently. Anything else I could potentially do, I'd do as well. But it seems as though I've got my bases covered. How I'm going to treat the transmission down the line, well, I have no idea yet, but I have time to think about that.

The most normal wear occurs at cold start up before the engine warms to normal operating temp (170-190). Warmed up & cruising on the freeway for hours is virtually wear free in comparison.
Old 08-16-20, 06:21 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

yep, that's for sure. i've always used mobil 1 extended performance, but i think i might try the relatively new pennzoil platinum synthetic made from natural gas the next time i have my oil changed. https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produ...-platinum.html
Ive used penzoil, I think Castrol and Mobil 1 extended performance are better. I base this solely on what they look like visually at the same change intervals.
Old 08-17-20, 01:21 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,798 Likes on 1,927 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
Ive used penzoil, I think Castrol and Mobil 1 extended performance are better. I base this solely on what they look like visually at the same change intervals.
Yeah visual is definitely something, but of course, our eyes can't see the amounts of anti-wear additives left in the oil. Plus, various oils look darker than oils even brand-new. For example, the Liqui Moly I am running in the GTI looked notably darker, when it was new, than the oil I had in the Lexus (which I am guessing is whatever the factory fill is). For this reason I am thinking about getting an oil analysis done at my next change.

I've also started to think the best recommendation for oil is to just follow the owner's manual, whether that be "Use viscosity Xw-XX" or "Use oil that meets X specification".
Old 08-17-20, 02:06 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yeah visual is definitely something, but of course, our eyes can't see the amounts of anti-wear additives left in the oil. Plus, various oils look darker than oils even brand-new. For example, the Liqui Moly I am running in the GTI looked notably darker, when it was new, than the oil I had in the Lexus (which I am guessing is whatever the factory fill is). For this reason I am thinking about getting an oil analysis done at my next change.

I've also started to think the best recommendation for oil is to just follow the owner's manual, whether that be "Use viscosity Xw-XX" or "Use oil that meets X specification".
yup I’m also considering sending off an analysis to blacklabs... my oil goes through hell...I’m in Canada so about a 100 degree temperature fluctuation between summer and winter, I live in the middle of no where so lots of short 5-10 min trips...plus I love doing some full throttle pulls. I’m so curious to see what my oil is like after 7000-8000km
Old 08-19-20, 12:00 AM
illmat1k
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running 5w-20 all the time on my 250. I like to have a little fun with the entire TRAC system off.