IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

RC-F Shift Knob Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-20 | 06:34 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Default RC-F Shift **** Install

Hi Everyone!!!

It's me, your favorite forum member ever! Anyhow, so I was looking at the RC-F shift **** and I want to know, should I buy the product as well as the shift **** boot, how to install the thing. I mean, it would be easy if I were to just install the shift **** itself without the boot, but as I understand it, the shift **** that I'm talking about (reference the photo below) is not compatible with the 3IS boot. So, how is it that I access the boot in order to remove and replace it with the one that accompanies the RC-F version?

I tried searching on here and didn't find anything in particular that was dedicated to this, although it did link me to a number of build pages where I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in the bajillion pages that are within these build threads, but even going through one of them didn't tell me how to do it, it just mentioned that it was done and perhaps a photo was thrown in for good measure. I also searched on YouTube on how to remove the shift boot, but nothing popped up for our model.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm referencing this shift **** and boot for those of you who may be able to help as well as those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about:

Old 04-20-20 | 06:49 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Also, I came across this GS F-Sport shift **** which *might* be a direct fit, not requiring the boot, which would be preferable -- can anyone chime in on the **** below?

Old 04-20-20 | 07:00 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by davyjordi
Also, I came across this GS F-Sport shift **** which *might* be a direct fit, not requiring the boot, which would be preferable -- can anyone chime in on the **** below?

I don't really see the difference between the 3IS shift **** and the GS F Sport shift ****? The RC-F **** I see is different as it's full leather without the plastic piece. Just curious as to why you are wanting to change it since it's hardly different lol.
Old 04-20-20 | 07:06 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Flash5
I don't really see the difference between the 3IS shift **** and the GS F Sport shift ****? The RC-F **** I see is different as it's full leather without the plastic piece. Just curious as to why you are wanting to change it since it's hardly different lol.
doesn't ours lack the stitching? i could be wrong as my car is in the garage and i don't feel like going to look, but i feel like the gs f-sport **** is more refined.

edit: i just checked and ours lacks the stitching.

if that isn't the case, however, then the rc-f would be what i'm interested in swapping, but i need to know how before i purchase the items.

my preference would be for the rc-f **** and boot, i just don't know how involved taking apart the center console is to replace the boot so that the **** will fit properly.
Old 04-20-20 | 07:37 AM
HOMER350
Racer

doesn't ours lack the stitching? i could be wrong as my car is in the garage and i don't feel like going to look, but i feel like the gs f-sport **** is more refined.

edit: i just checked and ours lacks the stitching.

if that isn't the case, however, then the rc-f would be what i'm interested in swapping, but i need to know how before i purchase the items.

my preference would be for the rc-f **** and boot, i just don't know how involved taking apart the center console is to replace the boot so that the **** will fit properly.
That's a lot of $ for a little stitching imo.

The GS **** i would bet fits the IS boot. Changing the boot would not be hard though. The center console is not difficult to take apart and put back together, which you would have to do to change the boot.
Old 04-20-20 | 07:45 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HOMER350
That's a lot of $ for a little stitching imo.

The GS **** i would bet fits the IS boot. Changing the boot would not be hard though. The center console is not difficult to take apart and put back together, which you would have to do to change the boot.
okay, here goes -- i'm going to order the rc-f boot and ****. when it arrives, no doubt i am going to ask for the clublexus community's help in order to disassemble and reassemble the center console.
Old 04-20-20 | 07:51 AM
HOMER350
Racer

okay, here goes -- i'm going to order the rc-f boot and ****. when it arrives, no doubt i am going to ask for the clublexus community's help in order to disassemble and reassemble the center console.
There's threads on here to follow for disassembly. The one I followed was for doing vinyl wrap on interior which I did. Feel free to PM me if you run into issues but its rather simple.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (04-20-20)
Old 04-20-20 | 07:55 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HOMER350
There's threads on here to follow for disassembly. The one I followed was for doing vinyl wrap on interior which I did. Feel free to PM me if you run into issues but its rather simple.
thanks! i'll look for those threads. i know beat sonic also put out a video that shows some of the center console disassembly process when they installed their carplay/android auto unit, so that might be something worth watching as well.
Old 04-20-20 | 02:51 PM
jnesss
Driver

regarding the stitching, i believe one of our members used a blue sharpie on some stitching in his vehicle. the thread was either about the shift boot stitching or seat stitching, I can't remember.

regarding the ****, i was previously interested in the GS-F's **** cause it was shaped like a ball, but I never went through with it cause of the cost. I think the GS-F boot had a particular color with the stitching too.
Old 04-20-20 | 03:25 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by jnesss
regarding the stitching, i believe one of our members used a blue sharpie on some stitching in his vehicle. the thread was either about the shift boot stitching or seat stitching, I can't remember.

regarding the ****, i was previously interested in the GS-F's **** cause it was shaped like a ball, but I never went through with it cause of the cost. I think the GS-F boot had a particular color with the stitching too.
some members on other vehicle threads here completely redid their stitching. Just pulled it out then rethreaded with whatever color they wanted.

For those of you sitting around wondering what to do in your car...there's an idea ha.
Old 04-20-20 | 04:22 PM
m1919
Intermediate

RC-F shift **** and boot should be a direct drop in replacement. The boot is pretty much the same as the IS.

I had to swap boots for the red-stitched GS-F shift **** I installed on my car because I needed the collar that snaps into it.
Old 04-21-20 | 01:53 PM
flexspace
Rookie

Can confirm it being a direct replacement from RCF to IS. It does somewhat suck taking your console apart, but follow this video.

I made a comment on the timestamp 4:20 that should save you some time.

Just recently did it myself.

Old 04-21-20 | 05:32 PM
marsmango
Pit Crew

Another user was able to install the GS F **** without replacing the original boot: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9163426

I'm assuming they didn't have to disassemble the entire center console to do this, just swap the **** and make the modifications
Old 04-21-20 | 05:38 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

the dealer networks in north america don't have the parts at the moment and they said they can't get them due to the worldwide shutdown.

they are available if i were to order directly from japan, but i'm not gonna do that. way too much money for a shift ****.

perhaps a project to do when everything opens up again, but looking at disassembling the center console looks arduous.
Old 04-21-20 | 06:48 PM
m1919
Intermediate

the dealer networks in north america don't have the parts at the moment and they said they can't get them due to the worldwide shutdown.

they are available if i were to order directly from japan, but i'm not gonna do that. way too much money for a shift ****.

perhaps a project to do when everything opens up again, but looking at disassembling the center console looks arduous.
Disassembly of the console is actually not that bad. For me, adapting my IS shift boot to fit the collar on the GS-F shift **** was more of a pain.

If you get lucky on ebay, you might be able to find a GS shift **** in white stitching, when I was searching around I found they were cheaper than the red stitched versions. You can dye the stitching whatever color you require.

Last edited by m1919; 04-21-20 at 07:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (04-22-20)

Quick Reply: RC-F Shift Knob Install