IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Fastest 0-60s and 1/4 Miles in a 2.0L Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-20, 03:42 PM
NikNikNik
Pole Position

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Fastest 0-60s and 1/4 Miles in a 2.0L Turbo

I've been curious with what the best performance numbers yall have gotten on the 2.0L turbo model

this was my last run couple months ago before I added my JB4 and stuff
Old 04-24-20, 04:01 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

I like how everyone's getting the dragy app. Seriously adds another dimension of fun and analysis. My issue has just been to find a level enough street.
Old 04-24-20, 07:42 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
I like how everyone's getting the dragy app. Seriously adds another dimension of fun and analysis. My issue has just been to find a level enough street.
Is it good? Only has like 2.8 stars in the reviews.
Old 04-24-20, 07:45 PM
NikNikNik
Pole Position

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

the actual device works amazing, the app could be better but oh well
Old 04-25-20, 05:56 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by NikNikNik
the actual device works amazing, the app could be better but oh well
The accuracy of the GPS Performance Box is fantastic. I agree that the app is cumbersome and the video overlay feature can use some improvement. Nonetheless, it's a great best-value alternative to a VBOX.
Old 04-25-20, 09:18 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
Is it good? Only has like 2.8 stars in the reviews.
Yeah, don't let the poor rating stop you. If you end up hating it, the returns are easy. That said, I personally never had an issue using it. There's a small learning curve and obviously things that could be improved.

The cost is worth it in my opinion; a one time pay to play. Instead of constantly going out and paying to use drag strips and dynos, which can and will add up, this is a quantitative way to measure performance gains/losses of the mods you do to your car. Mainly looking at this from a cost-benefit perspective.

Last edited by RageRacerM; 04-25-20 at 01:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ZZZzz (04-25-20)
Old 04-25-20, 12:40 PM
Nguyenerr
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good to know. I might have to try this app out. So Lexus claims their IS200t 0-60 time is 7.00 and your time is right on.
Old 04-25-20, 09:20 PM
Asbel29
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NikNikNik
I've been curious with what the best performance numbers yall have gotten on the 2.0L turbo model

this was my last run couple months ago before I added my JB4 and stuff
that's just slightly under a 250 0-60 time
Old 04-27-20, 10:13 AM
levchik77
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

200t suks from zero start. Very very slow start.
If you go from 30 km/h, is250 will suk)
Old 04-27-20, 02:53 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
The accuracy of the GPS Performance Box is fantastic. I agree that the app is cumbersome and the video overlay feature can use some improvement. Nonetheless, it's a great best-value alternative to a VBOX.
GPS technology is basically the same regardless of device (unless something changed in the last 6 years). Does this draggy device you think work better than the performance GPS calculations on my OBDII scanner (hooked up to my OBDFusion app)?
Old 04-30-20, 08:50 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I feel Lexus kneecapped the 2L turbo powertrain as to not step on the toes of the IS350. Cause naturally such a powertrain replaces a bigger 6 in all the other car brands. So inherently, the powertrain should easily be capable.

Lexus did this with throttle nerf, capping during take off, and likely turbo and transmisison tuning. as well as plumbing. w/ the mods we have out, it seems we can fix some of these, but still not the throttle nerf @ takeoff. to my knowledge no tuner has been able to crack that limitation. also these nerfs puts less strain on the aging Aisin 8 speed auto. back in its day the trans was pretty fantastic. today it's a laggy heavy lump, except in the IS-F variant (AA81 IIRC) where it's tuned a lot better.

If Lexus develops a 4IS, it should have a stronger 4 turbo this time around. and hopefully a much better trans--likely Aisin 10 speed. I would think lexus should have two variants of the turbo 4, one weak and one strong, with tweaked plumbing and tuning for the latter. This would save development and production costs vs having two powertrains.
The following users liked this post:
m0chafrap (04-30-20)
Old 04-30-20, 09:38 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I feel Lexus kneecapped the 2L turbo powertrain as to not step on the toes of the IS350. Cause naturally such a powertrain replaces a bigger 6 in all the other car brands. So inherently, the powertrain should easily be capable.

Lexus did this with throttle nerf, capping during take off, and likely turbo and transmisison tuning. as well as plumbing. w/ the mods we have out, it seems we can fix some of these, but still not the throttle nerf @ takeoff. to my knowledge no tuner has been able to crack that limitation. also these nerfs puts less strain on the aging Aisin 8 speed auto. back in its day the trans was pretty fantastic. today it's a laggy heavy lump, except in the IS-F variant (AA81 IIRC) where it's tuned a lot better.

If Lexus develops a 4IS, it should have a stronger 4 turbo this time around. and hopefully a much better trans--likely Aisin 10 speed. I would think lexus should have two variants of the turbo 4, one weak and one strong, with tweaked plumbing and tuning for the latter. This would save development and production costs vs having two powertrains.
The “strong” one would have to be REALLY strong to push 3700 pounds down the road and be competitive with the competition.
I don’t see Lexus coming out with a super strong 4 cylinder boosted, I think they’ll drop the twin turbo 3.5 into a lot of stuff. Some modern 2.0 L turbos are pushing 350ish HP but obviously longevity and reliability are not good, 2 things Lexus won’t compromise on.
I was a bit surprised when I found out the turbo 4 cylinder from Lexus only puts out 240ish HP, but again reliability and longevity are 2 of the brands main strengths.

Ive got a 350, and even with 306 hp and 277 lb of torque the car is peppy/quick and “fast” for a daily but only runs about a 14 second quarter mile which is behind a lot of the competition. 4is needs a HUGE power bump if they want to actually compete with/beat cars in its class.
Old 04-30-20, 10:50 AM
HOMER350
Racer

I'm pretty sure they're going to a 4cly 2.5L turbo, to replace the 350. I though we knew this?
the article I read seemed pretty definitive.
Old 04-30-20, 03:47 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
GPS technology is basically the same regardless of device (unless something changed in the last 6 years). Does this draggy device you think work better than the performance GPS calculations on my OBDII scanner (hooked up to my OBDFusion app)?
The GPS calculations on Dragy are significantly more accurate than what you would obtain via a smartphone with an OBDII Bluetooth adapter and phone app as Dragy has a much quicker sample rate.

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/educa...ormance-meter/

I've used both Torque Pro and OBD Fusion for nearly two years as I datalogged multiple logs and can attest to their slow refresh rates when obtaining PID information.
Old 04-30-20, 08:43 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by redspencer
The GPS calculations on Dragy are significantly more accurate than what you would obtain via a smartphone with an OBDII Bluetooth adapter and phone app as Dragy has a much quicker sample rate.

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/educa...ormance-meter/

I've used both Torque Pro and OBD Fusion for nearly two years as I datalogged multiple logs and can attest to their slow refresh rates when obtaining PID information.
I figured you tested both thats why I asked!
Makes sense technology the same but device satisfaction would make the difference. Would need to be fast for more accuracy