IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS200t Tein Flex Z coil overs 2016-2017

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-20, 09:45 AM
wesley85
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default IS200t Tein Flex Z coil overs 2016-2017

Not sure if this is the right place, but I have a brand new set of Tein Flex Z adjustable coilovers. I purchased them from Redline 360 and I was told they fit a F-sport model but the lower control arms do not have the same mounting brackets. They refuse to refund or exchange them for me. It has been past 30 days but due to the covid pandemic and losing my job I didnt have time to get these installed until last Sunday. I'm only asking $900 for them which is what I paid. I will add pics or shoot me a message and I can send some pics. Thanks all
Old 05-06-20, 10:18 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Sorry to hear...there was a lower control arm change on the RWD around 2017, and yes the mounting point for the bottom of the strut is what changed.
You can post this for sale over in the Marketplace...see the stick their for posting rules.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mar...sid%5B0%5D=s21
Old 05-06-20, 10:34 AM
wesley85
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Sasnuke. I really surprised the company would not exchange the item. I sent them the email of support confirming they would fit an fsport model. And still nothing. I wasn't even asking for a refund of money. Just want coil overs to trick my car out man!!! geesh.
Is there any conversion brackets or adapters for this? Probably not being suspension.
Old 05-06-20, 11:02 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wesley85
Thanks Sasnuke. I really surprised the company would not exchange the item. I sent them the email of support confirming they would fit an fsport model. And still nothing. I wasn't even asking for a refund of money. Just want coil overs to trick my car out man!!! geesh.
Is there any conversion brackets or adapters for this? Probably not being suspension.
There is nothing to convert them to fit...your options are to get the correct coilovers or get control arms from a 2014-16 and swap them with your control arms.
The ones you have are aluminum...the previous ones are metal (steel).
Old 05-06-20, 11:10 AM
wesley85
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
There is nothing to convert them to fit...your options are to get the correct coilovers or get control arms from a 2014-16 and swap them with your control arms.
The ones you have are aluminum...the previous ones are metal (steel).
It seems a lot of suppliers for the Tein Flex z DO NOT know these will not fit. Fitment INdustries has these listed as fitting my car when I type all my model and info in. They have it listed as fitting a base model/fsport which is incorrect. I'm really confused if Tein even makes a flex z that works on my car model.
Old 05-06-20, 11:14 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

It seems a lot of suppliers for the Tein Flex z DO NOT know these will not fit. Fitment INdustries has these listed as fitting my car when I type all my model and info in. They have it listed as fitting a base model/fsport which is incorrect. I'm really confused if Tein even makes a flex z that works on my car model.
I don't think they make one for the updated lower control arms...just the older ones. Another member ran into this very scenario a while back...he swapped the control arms out for the older version as his solution.
I guess they didn't know or realize that Lexus changed the lower control arms...even since that other member ran into this issue.
The newer arm looks very similar to the AWD lower control arms.
Old 05-06-20, 11:18 AM
wesley85
Driver School Candidate

I don't think they make one for the updated lower control arms...just the older ones. Another member ran into this very scenario a while back...he swapped the control arms out for the older version as his solution.
I guess they didn't know or realize that Lexus changed the lower control arms...even since that other member ran into this issue.
The newer arm looks very similar to the AWD lower control arms.
Do you have a link or anything to the lower control arms? If they all match up I wouldn't mind buying those. I don't know what company makes coil overs now that are adjustable that will fit the F-sport.
Old 05-06-20, 11:28 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

48640-30300 - left
48620-30300 - right

You can check parts.lexus.com or mylexusparts.com or any of those parts sites.
Old 05-06-20, 11:38 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Sorry for your luck, that blows.

Ultimately buyers responsibility to insure fitment in a scenario like this, but the email stating they fit...did it mention the year of the vehicle? If so, they should clearly take responsibility.

New control arms shouldn't be terribly difficult whith install of the coilovers so hopefully you find a fix.
Old 05-06-20, 11:44 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Especially if you install the GSF/RCF lower control arm bushings at the same time...then I think it's like one more bolt to get the control arm out...since the rest will be apart for the coilovers.
Old 05-06-20, 01:01 PM
wesley85
Driver School Candidate

Yes they knew it was for a 2016-2017 Flex z tein coil over part. The description of the coil overs has the vehicle listed but doesn't say base model or f-sport. Just says fit's all and then lists some heights and vehicle fitment info. But nothing about mounting.
Old 05-06-20, 08:03 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Especially if you install the GSF/RCF lower control arm bushings at the same time...then I think it's like one more bolt to get the control arm out...since the rest will be apart for the coilovers.
Good point! And definitely might as well do that while in there.
Yes they knew it was for a 2016-2017 Flex z tein coil over part. The description of the coil overs has the vehicle listed but doesn't say base model or f-sport. Just says fit's all and then lists some heights and vehicle fitment info. But nothing about mounting.
Not as advertised...you're definitely in the right to return from a legal stand point. Unless stated otherwise like something I said above, "buyer solely responsible for guaranting fitment", etc, etc.
Old 05-07-20, 11:20 AM
wesley85
Driver School Candidate

Hey I found these and after talking to the supplier (coilover depot) He acknowledged the issue and was well aware of it, he suggested the

17-UP Lexus IS300 BC Racing Coilovers - BR Type

coil-over. Will these for sure fit the 17' fpsort 200t? I only worry because the photo shows the correct mount for the fronts but the rears look wrong. We have the strut separate fr4om the spring.

p/n: R-36-BR
Old 05-07-20, 12:07 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Hey I found these and after talking to the supplier (coilover depot) He acknowledged the issue and was well aware of it, he suggested the

17-UP Lexus IS300 BC Racing Coilovers - BR Type

coil-over. Will these for sure fit the 17' fpsort 200t? I only worry because the photo shows the correct mount for the fronts but the rears look wrong. We have the strut separate fr4om the spring.

p/n: R-36-BR
I'm thinking maybe the product pic is not the actual product. The rear spring needs to be seperate from the shock.
However if you go to BC racing's website and check what they have for your vehicle, it comes up with a different series of coilover and part number (R-36-DS): https://www.bcracing-na.com/product/...d=p3721-c27197
The 2017 200t is the same as the 2018+ IS300 RWD...but they don't have a 2017 200T coilover kit on their website.
Of note is that on the R-36-DS, the note says Front Fork Strut...which is the one you need

Maybe it's time to call BC Racing directly and figure out what part number kit fits your vehicle...personally I'm going with the R-36-DS...unless the R-36-BR is the same kit, just some different specs for the springs/shocks/struts in terms of performance, but not physical dimension.

EDIT: The BC Racing has the R-36-BR listed for a 2017-2018 IS300 RWD...so the coilover depot recommendation would work

Last edited by Sasnuke; 05-07-20 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-08-20, 09:42 AM
wesley85
Driver School Candidate

Would you recomend BC or KSPORT? Or any other brand?

Quick Reply: IS200t Tein Flex Z coil overs 2016-2017