IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Front differential fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 12:44 PM
dteskmo
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Front differential fluid change

There is a fantastic thread on this forum that describes changing the rear differential fluid, but I can't find any info for the front differential. I would like to know what the part numbers are for the crush washers, and the torque specs. I think the fill plug gasket is the same as the rear fill and drain gaskets (p/n 12157-10010), but it seems that the front drain plug might require a copper crush washer (p/n 90430-24003). Also, the rear torque specs seems to be 36 ft-lb, but the front might be 29 ft-lbs (I think this is the torque spec for both front plugs on a 2IS). Can anyone confirm if this is true?

I have a 2015 IS350 AWD. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Old 05-19-20, 08:35 AM
dteskmo
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I changed the front and rear differential fluid this weekend. The part number for the front drain plug and front fill plug crush washers were correct, and Toyota had all four in stock for a couple dollars each. Used Amsoil squeeze packs to fill, but needed a six inch hose to reach the front fill hole. Total cost ended up being just over 70 CAD, so I saved about 250 CAD by not having the dealer do it for me.

Front fill plug was a major pain to get a wrench on, maybe because the tires were on ramps instead of hanging free (the rear was on axel stands with wheels hanging freely). All other bolts were easy to remove and reinstall. Could not get a torque wrench on the front plugs so had to tighten as much as possible with a box-end wrench.

The front fluid was jet black after 45,000 kms (5 years), but very little sludge on the drain bolt. The rear fluid was pretty clean, but there was an unbelievable amount of sludge on the drain bolt!

I am very happy that I finally decided to do this, but have not noticed any difference in how the car drives. There is a great video of a CL member changing the front fluid on a GS that helped quite a bit, as I believe it is the same differential as the IS. I hope this helps any AWD owners that are thinking about doing this themselves!
The following 2 users liked this post by dteskmo:
GR3Y5H3ART (05-28-20), kj07xk (05-19-20)
Old 05-28-20, 02:27 AM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

HOW TO: 3IS specific - Front and Rear Differential

hope you don't mind me adding to this Thread rather than making a new one so the info is more easily find-able

i just did Front and Rear for the first time and i am going to post everything i learned SPECIFIC to the 3IS...there is a great video by Dan but there are a few differences between GS and IS:

DIYDAN Rear:

so the Rear, pretty well covered by CL Member bob123

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-w-o-lift.html

DIYDAN Front:

the Front, the most difficult thing will be getting the Fill Plug bolt off other than lifting all four sides of the ride to the same height for even leveling and getting most fluid drained

instead of like the GS, IS will require a 14mm Wrench, a slightly BENT one at least 12in in Length and with a full head, will make removing this Bolt much easier:

Front differential fluid change-rpkmkli.jpg

this end most likely won't fit as well as the other:
Name:  Vsuq6ZB.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  5.7 KB

Name:  4YBo5LV.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  2.1 KB

dont have these but they may work as well:
Name:  AxAGQ3T.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  7.1 KB

Front drain bolt should be A LOT easier...i don't have a nice Lift system like DIYDAN so getting the Car level with Jacks and Jack stands was a bit time consuming and one of my Jacks failed so i made do with the 3 + 4 jack stands...of course, if its lifter higher, you can get more space

15mins. is a bit long of a wait for me...when i see it...dripping slowly...i cleaned the Drain Bolt + new Gasket + Fluid

get all Gaskets!...i almost reused the old ones since i am impatient on shipping time but it is worth it...you will only do this every 50,000 miles or so or sooner depending on how frequently you want to change it + how hard you drive your 3IS

Rear Gaskets:
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-...tml?PNC=41110J
Gasket (For Rear Differential Filler Plug)
Part Name Code: 41110J

Gasket (For Rear Differential Drain Plug)
Part Name Code: 41110E
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-...tml?PNC=41110J

Front Gaskets:
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-...tml?PNC=41181F
Gasket (For Front Differential Filler Plug)
Part Name Code: 41181F

Gasket (For Front Differential Drain Plug)
Part Name Code: 41181G

To make it easier you will need 3x of PART #: 12157-10010 & 1x of PART #: 90430-24003

(tip: i bought a pack of Ten if it can be found, should be a better deal)

i drive mine pretty hard and after changing BOTH fluids, the 3IS shifts super smooth!

hope this helps

Last edited by GR3Y5H3ART; 05-28-20 at 02:30 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by GR3Y5H3ART:
davyjordi (05-28-20), Flash5 (05-28-20), GNS (06-17-22), kj07xk (05-28-20), s3v3n (05-29-20), skur (02-28-24), whoismiked (06-02-20) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-28-20, 07:57 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

@GR3Y5H3ART do you happen to know if this is the same for the 2l turbocharged engine used in the IS300/200t?
I'm assuming so, but of course I'm not entirely sure. I'm just curious as I wouldn't be doing the work myself anyhow.
Old 06-01-20, 06:35 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
@GR3Y5H3ART do you happen to know if this is the same for the 2l turbocharged engine used in the IS300/200t?
I'm assuming so, but of course I'm not entirely sure. I'm just curious as I wouldn't be doing the work myself anyhow.
it could be but just like the GS to IS differences, there may be difference from the 2L Turbocharged platform

i would look for a video on Youtube and if i come across some good info like DIYDAN, i will add it to here for the Turbo IS owners
The following 2 users liked this post by GR3Y5H3ART:
davyjordi (06-03-20), zhifan1 (06-06-20)
Old 06-03-20, 07:31 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by GR3Y5H3ART
it could be but just like the GS to IS differences, there may be difference from the 2L Turbocharged platform

i would look for a video on Youtube and if i come across some good info like DIYDAN, i will add it to here for the Turbo IS owners

Thanks so much!
Old 08-15-20, 01:12 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Don't know whether it is just me, but on the maintenance schedule in the manual, there doesn't seem to be a need to change front differential oil for the 2016 IS200t? The rear gets a mention to change it at 50k miles, but not the front.. weird..
Old 08-15-20, 06:19 AM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
Don't know whether it is just me, but on the maintenance schedule in the manual, there doesn't seem to be a need to change front differential oil for the 2016 IS200t? The rear gets a mention to change it at 50k miles, but not the front.. weird..
A 16 200T is a RWD car...There is no front differential.
The following users liked this post:
zhifan1 (08-15-20)
Old 01-18-21, 06:59 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dteskmo
There is a fantastic thread on this forum that describes changing the rear differential fluid, but I can't find any info for the front differential. I would like to know what the part numbers are for the crush washers, and the torque specs. I think the fill plug gasket is the same as the rear fill and drain gaskets (p/n 12157-10010), but it seems that the front drain plug might require a copper crush washer (p/n 90430-24003). Also, the rear torque specs seems to be 36 ft-lb, but the front might be 29 ft-lbs (I think this is the torque spec for both front plugs on a 2IS). Can anyone confirm if this is true?

I have a 2015 IS350 AWD. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Did some research over the weekend as I'm about to do this myself on a 2018.

This Magical Proprietary Toyota Oil This Magical Proprietary Toyota Oil
is like $80-$100/liter and there is some debate on what is considered an equivalent. Turns out that Ravenol (https://www.ravenolamerica.com) is about the only suitable equivalent I could find that directly states theirs is a substitute for Toyota (and actually references the correct part numbers).

Check the document I linked for the viscosities and search Ravenol - you'll find the appropriate fluids.

Be mindful of whether you need the Toyota "LT" or "LX" equivalent, for non/LSD and LSD, respectfully. The document I linked has LT, for non limited-slip diff, but I believe the F-Sport RWD has a Torsen Limited Slip Diff as standard. The LT version is about half the cost of the LX.

When in doubt, consult the "Specifications" section of your Owner's Manual.

FWIW, by the time you need to replace any of these, the vehicle is about near the end of it's Drivetrain Warranty anyway, so I suppose you could go with whatever the heck you'd like at that point.

If someone else can chime in, that would be great.

Edit: Some of the link additions were not playing nice so I had to add them directly.

TL;DR - Toyota's diff oils are pricey and hard to come by. Ravenol makes a good substitute. Your Owner's Manual will tell you exactly the specs you need.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fluid Specifications.pdf (25.1 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by nitroracer; 01-20-21 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-18-21, 07:35 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroracer
Did some research over the weekend as I'm about to do this myself on a 2018.

This Magical Proprietary Toyota Oil is like $80-$100/liter and there is some debate on what is considered an equivalent. Turns out that Ravenol (https://www.ravenolamerica.com) is about the only suitable equivalent I could find that directly states theirs is a substitute for Toyota (and actually references the correct part numbers - http://www.blauparts.com/blog/why-mt...ntials%20.html)

Check the document I linked for the viscosities and search Ravenol - you'll find the appropriate fluids.

Be mindful of whether you need the Toyota "LT" or "LX" equivalent, for non/LSD and LSD, respectfully. The document I linked has LT, for non limited-slip diff, but I believe the F-Sport has a Torsen Limited Slip Diff as standard. The LT version is about half the cost of the LX.

Also note, I believe the ATF fluid specification is listing the dry-fill amount (8-10 Liters, depending on if you have 6 or 8-speed). A drain and refill is like 3-ish liters.

When in doubt, consult the "Specifications" section of your Owner's Manual.

FWIW, by the time you need to replace any of these, the vehicle is about near the end of it's Drivetrain Warranty anyway, so I suppose you could go with whatever the heck you'd like at that point.

If someone else can chime in, that would be great.

Edit: Some of the link additions were not playing nice so I had to add them directly.
The LSD was an option on RWD vehicles only, I believe starting in 2018.
AWD does not have LSD, so it would be LT fluid front and rear.
As you mentioned, consult the Owners Manual if in doubt and cross reference that to what vehicle you own specifically in the 3IS lineup.
The following users liked this post:
nitroracer (01-18-21)
Old 01-18-21, 08:17 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The LSD was an option on RWD vehicles only, I believe starting in 2018.
AWD does not have LSD, so it would be LT fluid front and rear.
As you mentioned, consult the Owners Manual if in doubt and cross reference that to what vehicle you own specifically in the 3IS lineup.
Ah, thank you.

Could've been a been headache.

Either way, Ravenol MTF-1 75W-85 GL-4 GL-5 states it can be used for either or.

Last edited by nitroracer; 01-18-21 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-18-21, 09:08 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroracer
Ah, thank you.

Could've been a been headache.

Either way, Ravenol MTF-1 75W-85 GL-4 GL-5 states it can be used for either or.
One thing to note since the thread was intended for front diff. oil change...only the rear calls for 75w-85.
The front, depending where you live/operating ambient temp. will be either 80W, 90W, or 80W90...which Ravenol has all three available.
Old 01-18-21, 10:29 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
One thing to note since the thread was intended for front diff. oil change...only the rear calls for 75w-85.
The front, depending where you live/operating ambient temp. will be either 80W, 90W, or 80W90...which Ravenol has all three available.
Yup, thanks for clarifying.

I went with 80W90. I hope that's the right call. I live in the midwest, though it's rarely below 0. However, considering 0w20 engine oil temp ranges are designed for the same, I just used the same logic.
Old 06-30-21, 03:10 PM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GR3Y5H3ART

I still can't break mine free. I'm at risk of rounding it off too much. I think it really depends on luck, how the bolt head points line up at installation from the factory, how tight it is, etc...

There just isn't enough space for me to even turn it before my wrench hits the diff case itself.

Seems the only real way would be to weld a big long piece of metal on....

EDIT: I FINALLY DID IT!!!
You need:

"
Extra Long Double Box End Aviation Wrench Extra Long Double Box End Aviation Wrench
"

The ends are about 3/8-1/2" thick for clearance of the handle away from the diff. It does *not* need to be bent (like the one in the photo), so long as the ends are thick enough. The bent one might work, but unfortunately I couldn't find anything like it online. Basically it acts like a small 14mm socket wrench head, which then of course makes it super simple. The best part is they are like 16" long, giving you plenty of torque in such a tight space.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by nitroracer; 07-03-21 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-15-22, 09:36 AM
TheLex350
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question....

Would a long ratcheting wrench make this any easier or safer to stick with a regular wrench for clearance issues?

Quick Reply: Front differential fluid change