IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 Purchase Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 11:55 PM
benaams
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation IS 350 Purchase Advice

Hey guys, looking to get into an IS 350 F sport for a daily (lots of highway kms) and was wondering if this is a good deal: 2014 IS 350 F Sport, 70,000kms, One owner, No accidents other than a windshield claim for $26,400 CAD ($1,200 below market value in my area).
Criteria Details: Im in Vancouver, BC so the AWD seems like it would be useful in the snow. I was looking for something comfortable yet fun. The IS seems to tick both those boxes and have reliability and good build quality under its belt as well (From what I researched. If you have any insight, suggestions or alternatives please let me know). This is nice because I need to drive almost 200kms a day for work and the reliability is definitely appreciated.

Car Details: The car looks very clean inside and felt solid to drive and everything works perfectly. However, there were a few points of concern
1. Window trim, grill, front bumper fins and tail fin were wrapped and poorly.
2. Passenger side skirt has a bad panel gap near the back half where at the end it is touching the panel above it (Rear quarter panel). Other side is even the whole way.
3. PPF on passenger side rear door is missing. This combined with the panel gap makes wonder if there was an accident here? The Carfax shows nothing.
4. Small tear in driver door card. About the diameter of an apple stem.
5. Some extra weather stripping from sunroof was hanging into the cabin.
6. Curbage on 2 front wheels and wheel weight glue in most wheel wells.
7. Vibration in pedal and wheel when braking at high speeds. (Salesmen thinks its alignment) .
8. Whistling/Whining sound from the front of the vehicle that makes its way into the cabin under acceleration. (Salesmen thinks its belt whine)

They just got the car and i saw it before it had its proper detail and service that includes filters and oil but they did do an inspection and everything was good on paper so I found it weird how they didn't catch those issues. I have a deposit down for the purchase which is subject to the resolution of EVERY one of these issues including a full brake service in addition to their service because the inspection noted that it is going to be required soon.
Old 05-11-20, 04:26 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 295 Likes on 226 Posts

If they fix all the issues to your satisfaction, the price is probably good. I paid $28,500 US a couple years ago for my 2014 IS350 AWD non-F with ~40,000 miles on it.
Note that not everything gets recorded in CarFax. CarFax data is never a reason to buy a car, but it can be a reason to not buy a car.
The following users liked this post:
Rhydg1 (05-11-20)
Old 05-11-20, 05:46 AM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Get a PPI from a private mechanic, and use what he finds to try and knock the price down. The vibration stuff could just be a bent rim.ect that is a easy fix...Or it could be something worse. Also Lexus is not exactly known for panel gaps, and if the bumpers uneven like that, there was probably some kind of impact in it's life...Even more reason for a PPI...Nether is 'belt wine' on a car with that kind of miles/KM a very Lexus thing, That would concern me.
Old 05-11-20, 07:15 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Based on your list of items that you observed, I might be inclined to continue the search for another IS.
The Vibration when braking at high speeds is likely the front rotors warped. Simple enough to replace and problem solved.
The whine noise...hard to say without hearing it.
The panel fitment and missing PPE on the side is pretty much a clear indication of an impact/accident of some kind where the door (at least) was painted.
Obviously the body shop removed the PPE to paint the door and didn't bother ordering another one to replace it...also demonstrates it was taken to a sub par body shop...as is evident by the panel fitment as well.
The mileage on the vehicle ins't high at all but it seems like maybe it wasn't the best cared for.

I'm a little concerned that they will be able to fix everything properly and keep the budget within that asking price.
The wheels will likely be refinished...but even a good or bad refinishing will look good for a few months...the difference will be a year from now...will they start peeling a flaking after you wash them.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
ALLBLCK604 (05-12-20), Rhydg1 (05-11-20)
Old 05-12-20, 12:57 PM
Cleatus
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2016, 350F AWD (possibly) going to sell
$30k ish (with remain factory warranty--like 1 more year)
currently at 22k miles
tinted (WI legal)
front clear shield added
add 3k more for lexus extended warranty transfer (think it was till 2024,or 25 -unlimited mileage)

you would need to come to WI...

Last edited by Cleatus; 05-14-20 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-12-20, 02:49 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I'd avoid and look at another car.

There's also head unit issues the 2014-2015 cars seem to have.

Last edited by m1919; 05-12-20 at 02:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rhydg1 (05-12-20)
Old 05-12-20, 07:37 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by benaams
... Im in Vancouver, BC so the AWD seems like it would be useful in the snow.
Wait - what snow in Vancouver?? You mean rain, or Whistler, BC. lol

Originally Posted by benaams
I have a deposit down for the purchase which is subject to the resolution of EVERY one of these issues including a full brake service in addition to their service because the inspection noted that it is going to be required soon.
  1. It sounds like 90% of that list of issues is cosmetic related &/or resolvable, you're NOT getting a lemon,
  2. there's other posts on this forum, including IS, GS, etc, that experience some vibration with no other issues (also apparent on my GS only going around bends but not on my IS),
  3. the panels issue requires some body work but the dealer/seller is also taking care of that,
  4. the dealer/seller says they'll repair everything, and more, and possibly even offer a warranty,
  5. $26,400 CDN comes to around $18,700 USD, plus you get all the repairs, plus new brakes, so that ain't too shabby,
  6. you're getting additional PPF you don't have to pay for,
so... ONLY if you really like it go for it, but if they don't budge on price (for which you can easily make arguments) see if you can barter for new tires, or a 4 Wheel Alignment, or at minimum something more like a solid & longer warranty.

DO NOT BUY IF YOU DISCOVER ACCIDENTS.

As for the whining sound, it might just be the IS Engine Sound Generator, otherwise ask the dealer/seller to change all belts. That annoying squeal is very common in IS & I get it literally ALL THE TIME. See here @ 4:31:

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-13-20 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-12-20, 10:32 PM
ALLBLCK604
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like it wasn’t taken care of very well. Lots of issues, too many, Keep looking. Ok I’ll be brutally honest it sounds like a piece of ****. They will be popping up more and more now that they’re getting a bit older. I would recommend getting a ‘15. Heated seats in the 14 suck. And apparently it’s a problem across the board. The 15 has heated and cooled seats too. No other issues I can think of. Mines a 14, 136xxx km. Drive langley to van 4 days a week. I fill up About 5-6 times a month. Average about 11L/100 as per fuelly. Fill ups are cheap right now. so I’m spending about $300+ a month on gas. But when gas prices go back up expect to pay $500+/mo in fuel if you drive as much as me. about 420km for work then errands and running around on the weekends. I guarantee you’ll be spending more on fuel than I do. I’ve figured out how to get the best mpg with the drive by wire throttle. It’s something you have to learn, a new habit if you will. Since you’re highway you’ll be okay. City mpg is not that great. I’ve had zero problems with mine since I got it two years ago September. I’ve already put on almost 50000km in 20mos. In 20 mos $8280 spent in fuel. I log every single tank into fuelly. This car is not cheap on fuel as you can see. Requires 91 also. Not trying to scare you out of this car but I’m just giving you real world numbers. Oil changes are double a normal car too. I do mine myself, it’s about $80 for oil and filter. This car likes to eat tires if you drive it hard. If you don’t drive it hard, not a big deal then. But there is an apparent fix. Just did my rear brakes, all rotors, pads, one Caliper, all that was about 700 in parts. All oem. So not bad. Feel free to ask any more questions. Highly recommend this car, just find a good one that’s had a good owner 👍
Old 05-12-20, 10:34 PM
ALLBLCK604
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Wait - what snow in Vancouver?? You mean rain, or Whistler, BC. lol

IMO go for it, but if they don't budge on price see if you can barter for new tires, or 4 Wheel Alignment, or at minimum something.
you’re telling buddy to buy a car that sounds like a piece of ****. No one should ever listen to you.
Old 05-13-20, 06:32 AM
beeftits
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I picked up my 2017 for $25,800. One owner with dealer service records, new Michelin tires, ML audio, flawless. No wrecks, no dents, not a single issue. 70k miles. IS350 AWD F sport

2014-2016 styling is dated and that price sounds high to me.
Old 05-13-20, 09:39 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

I think the price is high for what it is. Mechanically its maybe fine which is most important to me, but it sounds pretty beat up.

Have a IS350 likely going for sale soon $17.5k PM me if interested. I'm in CA though.
Old 05-13-20, 12:42 PM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLBLCK604
you’re telling buddy to buy a car that sounds like a piece of ****. No one should ever listen to you.
Not only are there a whole bunch of issues (Too many for the millage) But some of the issues are involving panels not fitting together right, suggesting a/some unreported accidents/ parking lot bumper cars.... And really @ LaZeR....The F sport sound generator dose not sound remotely like belt wine.....Buzzy angry honey bee hive...Yes...Belt wine or anything close to that? No...At least that's my take. After reading again, I would definitely find another car OP.
Old 05-13-20, 02:27 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
... Have a IS350 likely going for sale soon $17.5k PM me if interested. I'm in CA though.
This is a much better idea. What Year & Mileage? Always recommend Canadians go further south, and get a (CPO) RWD.

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-13-20 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-13-20, 02:53 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I think the price is high for what it is. Mechanically its maybe fine which is most important to me, but it sounds pretty beat up.

Have a IS350 likely going for sale soon $17.5k PM me if interested. I'm in CA though.
What are you getting? I bet something a bit faster
Old 05-14-20, 08:04 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
This is a much better idea. What Year & Mileage? Always recommend Canadians go further south, and get a (CPO) RWD.
Well this is far from CPO, its 105k miles. Nothing ever gone wrong with it. Everything works, runs perfect, etc. Immaculate interior. Exterior looks like it has 105k miles. Although I did a paint correction just a few months ago. For a 6 yr old black lexus, I'd rate it a 7-8 on a scale of 1-10 only because of some rock chips which any car would have at this point. And a small bump on rear bumper due to someone bumping the back of it with their licsense plate.

Itd be the lowest priced IS350 within 500 miles of me at the moment. And 105k miles is just scratching the surface on the life potential of this car, especially being well maintained. Trans drain and fill, new brakes sitting in my office waiting for install, etc.

Originally Posted by EZZ
What are you getting? I bet something a bit faster
Ha, still not sold on the idea but going the opposite direction. Thinking CT hybrid, maybe a Camry hybrid but like the refinement of the CT.

Although fun, the IS just isn't as fast as I'd like my fast /fun car to be. It's kinda just a good looking commuter, but half the mpg id get out of a CT.

Problem Is I want something fast and I'll get bored in a CT. My financial goals don't allow for 2 cars at the moment (or 3 technically but the other my wife drives half the time).

Quick Reply: IS 350 Purchase Advice