IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Does the IS350 have a transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-20, 12:32 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Does the IS350 have a transmission cooler

Does the IS350 have a separate tranny cooler outside of the radiator? I didnt see any cooler ports on replacement radiators.
Old 05-16-20, 01:08 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Yes it does.
The cooler is one the side of the transmission itself.

Last edited by Sasnuke; 05-17-20 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-16-20, 01:52 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Yes it doesn't.
The cooler is one the side of the transmission itself.
would you happened to have a picture of it? I cant find one anywhere.
Old 05-17-20, 09:01 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure if you have an AWD or RWD, but here's a pic of the cooler on the RWD 350. It's on the passenger side of the tranny.
In the pic the bell housing is on the right (towards the front of the vehicle) and the Park/Neutral switch is on the left (towards the back of the vehicle).

Old 05-18-20, 12:18 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Thank you. Is that adequate to cool the transmission? How hot does it run normally?
Old 05-18-20, 07:14 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I would assume it is adequate to cool the tranny as no one has had tranny failures on the 3IS.
The specific operating temp will vary depending on location and operating conditions.
Fluid adjustment is done between 97-126F...but really the tranny can go higher than 126F depending on location and operation.
Old 06-14-20, 03:42 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

So while driving around in 80* ambient temps, my coolant was 186*F but the transmission was 201*F. And that was not racing around. Without redesigning the transmission cooler, would there be any negative impact to run a aux cooler in the coolant lines that supply the transmission cooler so that the coolant has a lower temperatue than the engine before cooling the ATF?
Old 06-19-20, 09:23 AM
nquinn
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran an aux transmission cooler on my old Subaru Legacy GT when I tuned it.

For Lexus and these transmissions though, I don't think I'd touch it for any typical street driving. These transmissions, especially the 6spd, have proven to be incredibly reliable. I see no reason to make changes unless you plan on tracking it or something.
Old 06-25-20, 06:04 AM
awdlyfe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone able to confirm if the 3is AWD transmissions have the same transmission cooler ?
Old 06-25-20, 10:04 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by awdlyfe
Is anyone able to confirm if the 3is AWD transmissions have the same transmission cooler ?
The AWD has a cooler also...I believe it's on the driver's side of the transmission though.
Old 06-25-20, 01:00 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
Does the IS350 have a separate tranny cooler outside of the radiator? I didnt see any cooler ports on replacement radiators.
my understanding is the 6 speed tranny uses external cooler lines with engine coolant to cool off the transmission. I have seen a video where after 2-3 full laps at a track the transmission engine temp warning indication appeared.
Old 06-25-20, 07:01 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Is there a alternate part that incorporates an aux cooler, let’s say from a Tundra or Tacoma with a tow package? The RWD uses the 8sp trans.

something like this. https://www.tundras.com/threads/addi...-cooler.38684/

Im not sure if its a compatible part with our transmission.

Last edited by Drcoffee; 06-25-20 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-25-20, 07:21 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

So while driving around in 80* ambient temps, my coolant was 186*F but the transmission was 201*F. And that was not racing around. Without redesigning the transmission cooler, would there be any negative impact to run a aux cooler in the coolant lines that supply the transmission cooler so that the coolant has a lower temperatue than the engine before cooling the ATF?
If you wanted to rig up a seperate cooler, I don't see an issue with that. You would need to figure out which line is the inlet and run it into the aux. cooler and from the cooler back into the transmission cooler. You'd need to find space in the front of the vehicle to place the cooler...the downside is that you have now created several new points where the coolant system could fail.
It's great that you have been monitoring the temp.'s, but I guess the question is...is there a problem? Since the A/T Temp. light hasn't come on, then it's not overheating.
It's like trying to fix an engine overheating issue when the Engine Temp. gauge is reading in the middle...there's nothing to fix cause there's nothing broken.

Is there a alternate part that incorporates an aux cooler, let’s say from a Tundra or Tacoma with a tow package? The RWD uses the 8sp trans.
No one has made an attempt to fit an aux. cooler as no one has run into a cooling issue, so I don't think there is an answer to your question.
If you do install one, perhaps you can post what you did for the install. It's possible that someone somewhere may want to do the same.
The following users liked this post:
GR3Y5H3ART (06-25-20)
Old 06-25-20, 07:46 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

didn't know ours already has a Built in Cooler but thats great news

i agree w/Sasnuke. its adding more possible points of failure

Toyota in general is known for its reliability...my old 2003 Accord V6 on the hand...was not and notorious for weak Transmissions

adding a Trans Cooler like i was going to before selling my Honda was something like this:

Attachment 487560

Does the IS350 have a transmission cooler-ik2fb7t.jpg

B&M Transmission Cooler Model: 70264 - Brand New - MSRP $100+ - i think i pad 175 but prices went down on it Brand New Radiator Hoses Goodyear - 25 ft. genuine - $60 Radiator Hose insulation cover - $15 7" Cable Ties - $3 Mookeh Trans Temp Gauge - Brand New - LED never installed - $75

What happened later to Sedans on Hondas at least was they only added Trans coolers way after adding them to MiniVan or SUV...this led to a lot of failures from V6 owners, not so much to 4cyl. but the Horsepower difference is substantial

On the 3IS, if we already got one, only thing i would recommend if you ABSOLUTELY want to "upgrade" stay OEM and see if other Models that may have bigger coolers could help

either way, please post your results....you may be a pioneer man as i don't know of anyone changing the OEM one

here's my old Thread for the 2003 Honda Accord V6:

https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/...nstall.519754/

also, i wouldn't worry too much about that Automatic Transmission Temperature number...when i was monitoring my Coolant...it was around there to give you a reference point:

Does the IS350 have a transmission cooler-ox9dwue.jpg

Last edited by GR3Y5H3ART; 06-25-20 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-26-20, 11:24 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

something like this. https://www.tundras.com/threads/addi...-cooler.38684/

Im not sure if its a compatible part with our transmission.
Maybe try looking at an RCF/GSF external cooler. Likely a better chance of adopting it to an IS.
The following users liked this post:
GR3Y5H3ART (06-26-20)

Quick Reply: Does the IS350 have a transmission cooler