IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why does every reviewer seem to complain about the 3IS being outdated?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20 | 09:11 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by swaangin
I don't think reviewers understand what the Lexus brand is. It's for reliability / comfort and now they are touching the sports driving market as well. Lexus rarely offers latest technology and when they do, it's perfect and rarely fails. If you look at the comment section, while the reviewer is bashing Lexus, there is huge support and most people still say they would pick the Lexus.

To answer your question: Looks wise, I think the 3IS looks way better than it's competition. But, reviewers complain the design has been around since 2014. Reviewers also complain about the dated transmission (although, I might say it could use a slight revision) I am totally fine with it. I have the least desired IS (IS 250 non F sport) and I am breaking speed limits within seconds with minimal effort. I also notice, reviewers tend to have many cars and don't really drive their own because they're constantly sent out new cars from manufacturers. I don't really trust their word, tbh.

My opinion is, take what these reviewers say with a grain of salt. Go out and drive the car for yourself, do research on reliability. I was given the option to pick between a 3 series, 4 series, C class, or an IS. I want to be able to drive my car, have fun, and be able to romp on it without worrying about breaking anything. Don't care for unnecessary technology. I probably won't leave the Lexus brand unless I ever choose to lease.
The answer to the thread title has pretty much always, and will always be the same. It doesnt make it a bad thing. And this reply imo pretty much sums it up.

One question you have to ask about any review, what are they really reviewing and on what basis? Where is their perspective coming from? They're really more like 1st impressions compared to XYZ anyways.
What I look for in reviews are data numbers. Their opinions can provide more perspective and entertainment at best normally.

There are some seriously lesser cars out there with killer reviews. But depending on who it is...they know how to drive. So what time did they get on a track? How many Gs in the corner? Etc.

Last review I read they were flat wrong about 3 things. I know cause I drive the same car , but it was their 1st impression that's all.
Old 05-21-20 | 09:50 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by E46CT
No multi paragraph explanation needed. It's simple: when new BMWs come out, they're at least a generation or two ahead in terms of tech and engineering, in many aspects. So while they can be more unreliable, they age better in terms of being "fresh" 5 years down. Also the IS has a more radical design inside and out which also ages cars faster. While BMW and other euro makes tend to have conservative designs which age better.

Not to say I even like new BMWs. Cause I mostly don't. I'd rather fly under the radar nowadays. I don't care about being a bro mobile anymore. I actually really love the new Venza that was just announced.
re: "multi paragraph explanation": I am mostly just bored and wanted to vent a lot of thoughts I've been building up since giving the Lexus back in February. But I don't think it's just BMW. My point was that even features that are standard on much less-expensive vehicles are missing from the IS entirely. Oh and it still doesn't offer a HUD, which the 3 and 2-series also have. Not that I care too much about that, personally, but it shows the investment Lexus puts in is not in advancing tech as much as it is in other areas.

Reason I put so much time into my response is that I recognize that it can be frustrating, as an owner, to have Lexus's cars repeatedly called "dated"... But, there is in fact a reason for this beyond "old engines" if you dig in and examine the whole car as it relates to other options.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (05-21-20)
Old 05-21-20 | 09:52 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

While I was filling up the windshield washer this morning, a BMW (X5) pulled over on my side and asked a question. "How much power does that produce?" - I replied 300ish on the wheel. Guy shakes his head and said "I really like this car" and mentioned his wife drives one. After that, he started complaining about his X5 and gave me an advice - never buy a BMW, then drives away. This is a real life review from a BMW owner.

The following 3 users liked this post by s3v3n:
Jazzrock (05-21-20), Yri (05-30-20), Zoomzoom1 (05-21-20)
Old 05-21-20 | 10:56 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by s3v3n
While I was filling up the windshield washer this morning, a BMW (X5) pulled over on my side and asked a question. "How much power does that produce?" - I replied 300ish on the wheel. Guy shakes his head and said "I really like this car" and mentioned his wife drives one. After that, he started complaining about his X5 and gave me an advice - never buy a BMW, then drives away. This is a real life review from a BMW owner.

Well it definitely doesn't make 300 at the wheel. More like 250 wheel, 300 crank. My friends who have BmW love them so I guess everyone has different experiences. BMW forums have a lot less complaining about horsepower and lack of tech. They have more issues with crap breaking but not really that bad in the 3 series.
Old 05-21-20 | 11:14 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

A guy I work with had a BMW, bought it a few years back (his second one). Last summer he started having problems with it.....last winter he'd had enough and bought a Lexus IS 300. He says it has less power but is a much smoother ride and knows it's reliable so it's worth less power. To me 300-400hp is perfect HP to have fun, nobody needs more than that imo unless you take it to the track, which most people don't.
Old 05-21-20 | 11:58 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Its funny cause I know BMW drivers constantly with their car in the shop and they'll never buy anything else, die hard fans. They're just different, better in their own ways.
Old 05-21-20 | 12:05 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by EZZ
Well it definitely doesn't make 300 at the wheel. More like 250 wheel, 300 crank. My friends who have BmW love them so I guess everyone has different experiences. BMW forums have a lot less complaining about horsepower and lack of tech. They have more issues with crap breaking but not really that bad in the 3 series.
With its tune and mods - yes. 325 actually.
Old 05-21-20 | 12:19 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

With its tune and mods - yes. 325 actually.
Sorry...i was on mobile version and didn't see your mods. Thats actually pretty good. Do you think it would break 5 seconds to 60? Maybe 13.5s in quarter mile with 105mph trap?
Old 05-21-20 | 12:38 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by EZZ
Sorry...i was on mobile version and didn't see your mods. Thats actually pretty good. Do you think it would break 5 seconds to 60? Maybe 13.5s in quarter mile with 105mph trap?
Haven't tried and really not interested on those stats. My main objective getting the tune was to get rid of the sluggishness of the stock ECU programming. The header and such were just some bonus add-ons.
Old 05-21-20 | 02:11 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Ya, describing Lexus IS FSport as "outdated" is an extremely sketchy, reserved only for 1st World complaints, to continue repeating. It's like when you're on a plane flying across the country and WiFi goes down "pffft what a load of crap". "Hey bud, go purchase a Datsun, or Fiat, or Lada, or Peugeot".

The IS is above all a FUN, luxurious, great looking & amazingly performing (2014+) car, better than most!! No one should even care if they have a 1st gen 2001 IS (and also GS) which still run strong.

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-25-20 at 10:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LaZeR:
arentz07 (05-21-20), Jazzrock (05-21-20)
Old 05-21-20 | 03:38 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Ya, "outdated" is an extremely weird, 1st World complaint to continue repeating. The IS is a fun, luxurious, great looking car, better than most!!
Could say that about a lot of posts on here lol.. People taking the car to the dealer over things like gas caps ...which works fine. Or like miniscule blemishes on a bumper, which is what its there for.

But hey I get it you want what you want. I'm not bashing anyone but seriously some quality 1st world nothing else to do today kinda problems lol. As for the infotainment though, I gotta say I agree its like a 2000s .gov website. And its more tech than I even care to have so I'm not complaining.
Jazzrock (05-21-20)
Old 05-21-20 | 05:51 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Could say that about a lot of posts on here lol.. People taking the car to the dealer over things like gas caps ...which works fine. Or like miniscule blemishes on a bumper, which is what its there for.

But hey I get it you want what you want. I'm not bashing anyone but seriously some quality 1st world nothing else to do today kinda problems lol. As for the infotainment though, I gotta say I agree its like a 2000s .gov website. And its more tech than I even care to have so I'm not complaining.
I totally agree. When I was on the MB CLA forum, there were lots of complaints from people that didn't keyless entry or keyless start. I didn't have either and it wasn't a big deal, really.
Now that I have both, they are very nice features, but I could easily live without them. I am actually happier to have blind spot assist, which I didn't have on my Mercedes either. There were
so many packages for these cars, it was ridiculous. I had the first year CLA, 2014. You couldn't get a backup camera as a stand alone option. They did rectify that in 15. I added that on. That and blind spot assist are very important safety features. I have no complaints about my Lexus and enjoy the infotainment as well. First world problems indeed.
Old 05-21-20 | 07:21 PM
arentz07

Originally Posted by HOMER350

Personally I don't think the IS is a bad car, or for that matter, outdated. However, it's easy to see how someone may think it's outdated in certain areas. It's a great car, and I wish Lexus had marketed it a bit better. Honestly, they should have focused more on the performance and capability of the car. I always saw ads talking about "arriving in style" or some such.
Old 05-21-20 | 08:24 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by arentz07
Personally I don't think the IS is a bad car, or for that matter, outdated. However, it's easy to see how someone may think it's outdated in certain areas. It's a great car, and I wish Lexus had marketed it a bit better. Honestly, they should have focused more on the performance and capability of the car. I always saw ads talking about "arriving in style" or some such.
I think the car is great, literally in my top 5 of any car. I mean I really like it. But I think its outdated, and I like that about it too. I like having a button to go straight to my radio or phone, I like having the same engine as it was it 2006, I even like my base model traditional dash. I would like memory seats, but I could of had that even i just don't (my 94 Lexus had it). So its all the modernization and even more that I like. But I don't argue its dated-ness. Even the 8spd I think was the first of its kind wasn't it? But it makes it that much better in my mind.
Jazzrock (05-21-20)
Old 05-21-20 | 08:46 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

The good thing about the IS350 is the responsiveness of the engine. All turbo cars have at least a little bit of lag so the NA engine responds pretty quickly when you press the pedal. It's a nice feeling.
LaZeR (05-25-20)

Quick Reply: Why does every reviewer seem to complain about the 3IS being outdated?