IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why does every reviewer seem to complain about the 3IS being outdated?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 10:01 PM
nquinn
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As someone shopping around, the Lexus has all the appeal of reliability, but:

1. Horrible gas mileage for a 2016+ vehicle (my old 2005 subaru legacy had similar horsepower and gas states...15 years ago)
2. Infotainment... no carplay until 2019 ?!?!? The Honda fricking Accord had it in 2016.
Old 05-26-20, 02:13 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by nquinn

1. Horrible gas mileage for a 2016+ vehicle (my old 2005 subaru legacy had similar horsepower and gas states...15 years ago)
2. Infotainment... no carplay until 2019 ?!?!? The Honda fricking Accord had it in 2016.
so then don't buy a lexus?
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (05-26-20)
Old 05-26-20, 07:16 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,909 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Similar horsepower? I am guessing you had the GT?

I don't think it's fair to compare gas mileage of a heavy luxury car to a mainstream car. The Lexus is going to be much quieter. I had a coworker who had a Legacy of similar vintage, and it wasn't exactly quiet or luxurious.

Though, you do raise good points of why someone would say it's "oUtDaTeD". But here's the thing. Lexus's focus is more on building that solid, dependable product with a healthy dose of well-crafted-ness. I will forever have high standards for any future luxury cars I own after living with my IS. You just won't get the same kind of build quality and predictable cost of ownership from the German competition.
Jazzrock (05-26-20)
Old 05-26-20, 08:06 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

You have been "shopping" and complaining about this since Feb 2019, why not just get something else instead? You already knew the pros and cons from day one.
The following 2 users liked this post by babaijebu:
davyjordi (05-26-20), Jazzrock (05-26-20)
Old 05-26-20, 02:44 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

...(my old 2005 subaru legacy had similar horsepower and gas states...15 years ago) ... no carplay until 2019 ?!?!? The Honda fricking Accord had it in 2016.
Originally Posted by davyjordi
so then don't buy a lexus?
hahahaha ya might be better to go with a Suburu or Honda - don't want no remorse!!
Old 05-26-20, 11:27 PM
azn406
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
It's 2020, you have to stay competitive. You can't be living in the past and thinking you can get away with launching a 2019/2020 car with no apple carplay. When you have that mindset, other competitors will beat you to it. In my case my 2019 IS still had a 7" screen when I opted out for navigation.......
I've always agreed with this. People have said "Oh, I don't care that there isn't Car Play." But really -- cars with an MSRP half of that of the IS have it standard, yet your $46-50k car doesn't. It's simply a joke. I personally am tired of suctioning a phone holder to my windshield and clipping my phone onto it. First world problems? Sure. But I'm buying a luxury car, so I expect to have certain things.

Lexus has always banked on its reliability, but always tends to fall back on UX and its infotainment, which is brutally disappointing. It also tends to let its design go relatively unchanged through the years. You can't compete fair and square with the Germans by resting on reliability alone and ignoring everything else. I've heard it's the Japanese mentality with cars though...very conservative. I'm glad Honda finally gave the Civic a luxe feel (black headliner still has me in awe -- you can barely find that on an economic car). But I have great expectations for this rumored IS refresh because it seems to be a half-redesign at this point. I also hope power-folding mirrors and a heads-up display are added.

Last edited by azn406; 05-26-20 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-27-20, 02:08 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I 100% agree that Lexus needs to do better with at least the tech. Stay conservative with your drive drain and do small updates sure I guess (people will ***** about that anyways) but at least keep up with the tech. Absolutely no reason a $40k+ car in 2020 STILL doesn’t have the same tech as other luxury competitors. I totally understand the reliability factor I really do and it’s the main reason I picked my IS over an Audi or a BMW (I would never buy a BMW anyways in my life) or any other brand, but it’s quite ridiculous to sit there and not even give customers the tech that comes standard on lower priced cars. For gods sake, Toyota’s come with wireless charging pads and HUDs like WOW. Honestly I think Apple CarPlay and Android Auto along with a 10” screen stock on Lexus’s would probably shut people up and they can’t even give customers that. I most likely would have gone Acura or said screw it and got a Mazda if I didn’t go with Lexus but I wanted RWD. Toyota, Honda, and Mazda products (2016+) are the only car manufacturers I trust for reliability. I see both sides to this whole thing, I don’t agree that Lexus needs to come out with an IS putting out more than 350 HP it’s just not their thing. If they do it cool, if not I won’t be surprised at all.
Old 05-27-20, 05:01 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
I 100% agree that Lexus needs to do better with at least the tech. Stay conservative with your drive drain and do small updates sure I guess (people will ***** about that anyways) but at least keep up with the tech. Absolutely no reason a $40k+ car in 2020 STILL doesn’t have the same tech as other luxury competitors. I totally understand the reliability factor I really do and it’s the main reason I picked my IS over an Audi or a BMW (I would never buy a BMW anyways in my life) or any other brand, but it’s quite ridiculous to sit there and not even give customers the tech that comes standard on lower priced cars. For gods sake, Toyota’s come with wireless charging pads and HUDs like WOW. Honestly I think Apple CarPlay and Android Auto along with a 10” screen stock on Lexus’s would probably shut people up and they can’t even give customers that. I most likely would have gone Acura or said screw it and got a Mazda if I didn’t go with Lexus but I wanted RWD. Toyota, Honda, and Mazda products (2016+) are the only car manufacturers I trust for reliability. I see both sides to this whole thing, I don’t agree that Lexus needs to come out with an IS putting out more than 350 HP it’s just not their thing. If they do it cool, if not I won’t be surprised at all.

That's the only point I don't understand, you want the younger people to buy, but not providing Android/Apple car play in 2020 when they can get that on a Toyota or Honda? These days, it's hard to tell which one is the luxury brand between Toyota and Lexus.
Old 05-27-20, 09:13 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhydg1
They used to offer the latest tech. They were pretty early with the self parking stuff, and the ISF was once of the first to offer a more than 6 speed gearbox with it's 8 speed.
key word: used to
Old 05-27-20, 11:17 AM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you think the reason Apple CarPlay/Android Auto aren't in the IS is because the screen is not in a position to use a touchscreen? So they would need to do an overhaul of the console to accommodate a touchscreen (like the older model IS). That is one thing I do miss with my Accord, the Apple CarPlay.
Old 05-27-20, 11:58 AM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladius
Do you think the reason Apple CarPlay/Android Auto aren't in the IS is because the screen is not in a position to use a touchscreen? So they would need to do an overhaul of the console to accommodate a touchscreen (like the older model IS). That is one thing I do miss with my Accord, the Apple CarPlay.
Probably just don't want to pour development money into producing an infotainment system that's not complete garbage.

Hilariously, all they'd need to do is just have the system straight up provide Android Auto/Carplay, not even bother with any kind of in-house infotainment or nav beyond that and give it a wide screen. Many people would be satisfied with that.
Old 05-27-20, 12:15 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladius
Not at all, you don’t have to have touchscreen functionality for Apple CarPlay (idk about AA). It’s them being ridiculous and holding it for the “refresh” or whatever so they can have an additional selling point I bet.
Old 05-27-20, 12:41 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

This is the strangest thread on Club Lexus. Y'all are griping about Apple CarPlay/Android Auto like the entire car depends on it. That's NOT the focus of the IS, and never was, plz get over it. lol Who buys an IS for "tech" & "gas mileage"?? LOL You buy IS (& most owners love them) for performance, handling, great looks, and tremendous reliability as the cherry. How many other relatively affordable cars get comments & questions from people at red lights and gas stations like you do when sitting in an IS? In parking lots you don't see strangers asking each other about their BMWs - or any other cars for that matter - but IS owners approach and say "heyyyy how do ya like the 350 FSport", or "which model did ya get", or "what year is that" - all of which happens with me several times.

I also hate the IS Nav system, but the ride is like none other, and makes up for lack thereof. How many cars out there afford such a drastic change in personality with the click of a button - Sport(+) - which is like owning 3 cars in one? Think of the design, engineering, and "tech" that went into that!! And, which btw, far outweighs, and renders high tech Infotainment systems unnecessary. Every other car is left 1/2 mile behind in the rear view mirror. This is effortless for IS, but struggling for BMW 3-series which end up in the shop again.

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-27-20 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-27-20, 01:20 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
This is the strangest thread on Club Lexus. Y'all are griping about Apple CarPlay/Android Auto like the entire car depends on it. That's NOT the focus of the IS, and never was, plz get over it. lol Who buys an IS for "tech" & "gas mileage"?? LOL You buy IS (& most owners love them) for performance, handling, great looks, and tremendous reliability as the cherry. How many other relatively affordable cars get comments & questions from people at red lights and gas stations like you do when sitting in an IS? I also hate the Nav system, but the ride is like none other, and makes up for lack thereof. How many cars out there afford such a drastic change in personality with the click of a button - Sport(+) - which is like owning 3 cars in one? Think of the design, engineering, and "tech" that went into that!! Every other car is left 1/2 mile behind in the rear view mirror. This is effortless for IS, but struggling for BMW 3-series which end up in the shop again. And, which btw, far outweighs, and renders high tech Infotainment systems unnecessary.
It's not about focus, it's about standard.. It's 2020 now. Everyone relies on their smartphones nowadays for navigation, music etc. Most people are either on IOS or Android. You have to keep up with the time. If a 13k brand new car like the Chevrolet Spark in 2016 could have apple carplay, there no reason my 2019 IS which is triple the price cannot.
Gladius (05-27-20)
Old 05-27-20, 01:46 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
It's not about focus, it's about standard.. It's 2020 now. Everyone relies on their smartphones nowadays for navigation, music etc. Most people are either on IOS or Android. You have to keep up with the time. If a 13k brand new car like the Chevrolet Spark in 2016 could have apple carplay, there no reason my 2019 IS which is triple the price cannot.
Maybe the "everyone" you speak of should INSTEAD learn aspects of FINE DRIVING

Lexus' "focus" as it applies to the IS is being a "Driver's Car" - it's all about driving - not peripheral gadgets. LOL

And... a lot more fun than BMW & Audi.

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-27-20 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Why does every reviewer seem to complain about the 3IS being outdated?