IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why does every reviewer seem to complain about the 3IS being outdated?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20 | 01:51 PM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LaZeR
This is the strangest thread on Club Lexus. Y'all are griping about Apple CarPlay/Android Auto like the entire car depends on it. That's NOT the focus of the IS, and never was, plz get over it. lol Who buys an IS for "tech" & "gas mileage"?? LOL You buy IS (& most owners love them) for performance, handling, great looks, and tremendous reliability as the cherry. How many other relatively affordable cars get comments & questions from people at red lights and gas stations like you do when sitting in an IS?

I also hate the Nav system, but the ride is like none other, and makes up for lack thereof. How many cars out there afford such a drastic change in personality with the click of a button - Sport(+) - which is like owning 3 cars in one? Think of the design, engineering, and "tech" that went into that!! And, which btw, far outweighs, and renders high tech Infotainment systems unnecessary. Every other car is left 1/2 mile behind in the rear view mirror. This is effortless for IS, but struggling for BMW 3-series which end up in the shop again.

Adding what their customer wants suddenly makes the IS go out of focus? Check the longest thread on this sub, it is about people finding ways to add this particular thing to their vehicle. Nobody is complaining about reliability, but at the same time, if cars that cost less than half of an IS can get it, there's no excuse.
Old 05-27-20 | 01:54 PM
Gladius
Pole Position

Maybe the "everyone" you speak of should INSTEAD learn aspects of FINE DRIVING
What does "fine driving" have to do with having directions to where you want to go (navigation)? "Everyone" might be a stretch, but 95% of people can be rounded up to "everyone"...lol
Old 05-27-20 | 02:26 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

This is the strangest thread on Club Lexus. Y'all are griping about Apple CarPlay/Android Auto like the entire car depends on it. That's NOT the focus of the IS, and never was, plz get over it. lol Who buys an IS for "tech" & "gas mileage"?? LOL You buy IS (& most owners love them) for performance, handling, great looks, and tremendous reliability as the cherry. How many other relatively affordable cars get comments & questions from people at red lights and gas stations like you do when sitting in an IS? In parking lots you don't see strangers asking each other about their BMWs - or any other cars for that matter - but IS owners approach and say "heyyyy how do ya like the 350 FSport", or "which model did ya get", or "what year is that" - all of which happens with me several times.

I also hate the IS Nav system, but the ride is like none other, and makes up for lack thereof. How many cars out there afford such a drastic change in personality with the click of a button - Sport(+) - which is like owning 3 cars in one? Think of the design, engineering, and "tech" that went into that!! And, which btw, far outweighs, and renders high tech Infotainment systems unnecessary. Every other car is left 1/2 mile behind in the rear view mirror. This is effortless for IS, but struggling for BMW 3-series which end up in the shop again.
Seriously? You’re seriously defending Lexus for not putting the latest tech in a $40k car? You’re also stating a Lexus IS has “performance” lol. The IS 350 would get wrecked by almost any other “sports car” out there. Lexus is a luxury brand, a luxury brand costs more than the average car and in turn should come with all the bells and whistles. I didn’t buy my Lexus IS for “performance” I bought it for the reliability and slight sporty handling along with the RWD dynamics and the beautiful looks. My biggest gripe with it was the horrendous infotainment and I rectified that with an Android tablet that can do a billion things more and better than the stock system not to mention upgraded to a 10” screen over that tiny ugly stock one. Don’t even get me started on your “Fine driving” comment LMAO

Last edited by Flash5; 05-27-20 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-27-20 | 02:28 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
It's not about focus, it's about standard.. It's 2020 now. Everyone relies on their smartphones nowadays for navigation, music etc. Most people are either on IOS or Android. You have to keep up with the time. If a 13k brand new car like the Chevrolet Spark in 2016 could have apple carplay, there no reason my 2019 IS which is triple the price cannot.
When you mentioned "standard". You're talking about your standard and may not be a "standard" for other people. However, I agree that for such an expensive car, these "standard" features from cheaper cars should also be a "standard" for Lexus, BUT it's not the case so ... it will just go to someone's preference.

Would you like to drive a Chevy Spark with apple car play or a Lexus without apple car play? Your decision.
The following 2 users liked this post by s3v3n:
Jazzrock (05-27-20), LaZeR (05-27-20)
Old 05-27-20 | 02:43 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flash5
Seriously? You’re seriously defending Lexus for not putting the latest tech in a $40k car? You’re also stating a Lexus IS has “performance” lol. The IS 350 would get wrecked by almost any other “sports car” out there. Lexus is a luxury brand, a luxury brand costs more than the average car and in turn should come with all the bells and whistles. I didn’t buy my Lexus IS for “performance” I bought it for the reliability and slight sporty handling along with the RWD dynamics and the beautiful looks. My biggest gripe with it was the horrendous infotainment and I rectified that with an Android tablet that can do a billion things more and better than the stock system not to mention upgraded to a 10” screen over that tiny ugly stock one. Don’t even get me started on your “Fine driving” comment LMAO
It gets wrecked by most pure sports cars but a car with a 306 HP 11.8:1 compression engine, adaptive variable suspension, 4 pot brakes up front capable of stopping the vehicle from 60mph to 0 in 114 feet and a 0-60 of 5.3s is definitely not a slouch.
The problem is it’s been the same power train for over a decade and now the bars are set so high that Lexus can’t keep up. It’s a great car from top to bottom, but the performance segment has gotten absolutely insane the last few years.

The worst basketball player in the nba is still one of the best basketball players in the world, just not compared to the rest of the league...The IS is an awesome car, better than the vast majority on the road ...it just lacks in performance compared to actual sports cars.
Old 05-27-20 | 02:47 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
It gets wrecked by most pure sports cars but a car with a 306 HP 11.8:1 compression engine, adaptive variable suspension, 4 pot brakes up front capable of stopping the vehicle from 60mph to 0 in 114 feet and a 0-60 of 5.3s is definitely not a slouch.
The problem is it’s been the same power train for over a decade and now the bars are set so high that Lexus can’t keep up. It’s a great car from top to bottom, but the performance segment has gotten absolutely insane the last few years.

The worst basketball player in the nba is still one of the best basketball players in the world, just not compared to the rest of the league...The IS is an awesome car, better than the vast majority on the road ...it just lacks in performance compared to actual sports cars.
I’m not complaining about the power train figures. I’ve always been one of the ones that is fine with where they are at. If you’re not going to innovate on that front then invest in the tech. If you look at my previous posts in this thread, I’m one of the ones saying the power train is fine for reliability. If they can manage 350 HP I think that would be a good place.
Old 05-27-20 | 03:06 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Off topic........ LOL... it's 2 more days before paycheck... no wonder people starts complaining.....

Time to pay up the high monthly payment
Old 05-27-20 | 03:15 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

This is the strangest thread on Club Lexus. Y'all are griping about Apple CarPlay/Android Auto like the entire car depends on it. That's NOT the focus of the IS, and never was, plz get over it. lol Who buys an IS for "tech" & "gas mileage"?? LOL You buy IS (& most owners love them) for performance, handling, great looks, and tremendous reliability as the cherry. How many other relatively affordable cars get comments & questions from people at red lights and gas stations like you do when sitting in an IS? In parking lots you don't see strangers asking each other about their BMWs - or any other cars for that matter - but IS owners approach and say "heyyyy how do ya like the 350 FSport", or "which model did ya get", or "what year is that" - all of which happens with me several times.

I also hate the IS Nav system, but the ride is like none other, and makes up for lack thereof. How many cars out there afford such a drastic change in personality with the click of a button - Sport(+) - which is like owning 3 cars in one? Think of the design, engineering, and "tech" that went into that!! And, which btw, far outweighs, and renders high tech Infotainment systems unnecessary. Every other car is left 1/2 mile behind in the rear view mirror. This is effortless for IS, but struggling for BMW 3-series which end up in the shop again.
Seriously? You’re seriously defending Lexus for not putting the latest tech in a $40k car?
Too bad you didn't address any of the questions ending with a "?". In fact, every other whiner here might be responding, but they're not specifically addressing questions (again the "?"). And, No, I'm defending Lexus - (if you want a FUN DRIVE) - for putting tremendous effort into the design, engineering, and production, of a great CAR (key word here - not gadgets) in its class, at an affordable price, and you save tons of extra moola $$$$ over & above the UN-reliability of Audi & BMW, and maintenance costs of Benz & Cadillac, all of which bleed your bank account even more.

You’re also stating a Lexus IS has “performance” lol.
So you're saying the IS 350 FSport RWD does NOT perform? lol And, aren't you the the same guy that insists rear wheels wear out faster than front?

The IS 350 would get wrecked by almost any other “sports car” out there.
OK - which ones, are they in the SAME CLASS, same price point, how much do they cost, what's their service records, overall long term cost of ownership, all of which versus the IS?

Lexus is a luxury brand, a luxury brand costs more than the average car and in turn should come with all the bells and whistles.
Oh OK... so is that why Lexus Marketing from the very start of 3rd Gen IS made it clear that the focus of the IS is "DRIVING", NOT gadgets or tech, and the IS STILL has a hard core following, in hot demand, and sells well after market? That's the IS "bells & whistles" for ya.

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-27-20 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-27-20 | 03:33 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Too bad you didn't address any of the questions ending with a "?". In fact, every other whiner here might be responding, but they're not specifically addressing questions (again the "?"). And, No, I'm defending Lexus - (if you want a FUN DRIVE) - for putting tremendous effort into the design, engineering, and production, of a great CAR (key word here - not gadgets) in its class, at an affordable price, and you save tons of extra moola $$$$ over & above the UN-reliability of Audi & BMW, and maintenance costs of Benz & Cadillac, all of which bleed your bank account even more.

So you're saying the IS 350 FSport RWD does NOT perform? lol And, aren't you the the same guy that insists rear wheels wear out faster than front?

OK - which ones, are they in the SAME CLASS, same price point, how much do they cost, what's their service records, overall long term cost of ownership, all of which versus the IS?

Oh OK... so is that why Lexus Marketing from the very start of 3rd Gen IS made it clear that the focus of the IS is "DRIVING", NOT gadgets or tech, and the IS STILL has a hard core following, in hot demand, and sells well after market? That's the IS "bells & whistles" for ya.
Okay PRO DRIVER lmao.
Old 05-27-20 | 03:50 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Okay PRO DRIVER lmao.
Ya well this race track is less than 5 miles from my house, phew, what a relief that the IS Nav finds its way there, and guess what, I can also listen to music on the way!

Unfortunately, sometimes the noise gets annoying... To which race track do you take *your* IS?
Old 05-27-20 | 03:58 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

The Autobahn and the Nürburgring mostly.
The following users liked this post:
premier3IS (05-28-20)
Old 05-27-20 | 05:04 PM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Lol let's focus on facts here, IS sales numbers have indeed been going down since 2014, maybe it's time for them to change things around, maybe?
Old 05-27-20 | 07:17 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by babaijebu
Lol let's focus on facts here, IS sales numbers have indeed been going down since 2014, maybe it's time for them to change things around, maybe?
OK but WHY? What are the exact specific reasons for doing so, and what will this accomplish? Is the reason just to please naysayers & whiners? They were all sold. Everyone made their cut/profit. They'll continue selling out. Lexus is profitable - they don't give a sh|t.

People knew what they're buying however many years ago they bought it. Is incessantly griping about it really necessary for 6+ years?

How does this affect &/or impact you, and anyone else whining about the same, and why do you care what Lexus does, or does not do?

Right now, if you have a 2014 to 2020 IS, how does this benefit you? If a new IS comes out with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, are y'all going to IMMEDIATELY sell your cars, go out, and buy a brand new IS? lol

I think others have mentioned all this banter is nothing but a first world talking point.

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-27-20 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-27-20 | 07:27 PM
beeftits
Rookie

Outdated, terrible MPGs, mediocre performance. Still better than anything the Germans are making, solely due to reliability. This is how Toyota does things. Do it once, do it right, run it into the ground. It’s a theme for every individual car and every platform design.

I knew all these things going in and it was still my top choice.

If you want the latest tech and fancy BS, buy an Audi. Enjoy your repair bills!

Last edited by beeftits; 05-27-20 at 07:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by beeftits:
LaZeR (05-27-20), nquinn (07-03-20)
Old 05-28-20 | 01:40 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

I wonder if the people justifying the lack of new tech in the IS just want to make themselves feel better about the IS’s infotainment and electronics being super outdated lol. I mean, I bought my IS in 2018 knowing full well what the IS was missing, but still doesn’t justify Lexus keeping all these little modern things out of the design almost 7 years later. IS sales have been slipping a LOT and there’s a reason for that.

Quick Reply: Why does every reviewer seem to complain about the 3IS being outdated?