IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why does every reviewer seem to complain about the 3IS being outdated?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-20, 05:33 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by beeftits
Outdated, terrible MPGs, mediocre performance. Still better than anything the Germans are making, solely due to reliability. This is how Toyota does things. Do it once, do it right, run it into the ground. It’s a theme for every individual car and every platform design.

I knew all these things going in and it was still my top choice.

If you want the latest tech and fancy BS, buy an Audi. Enjoy your repair bills!
Well, same Toyota has provided these things, why can't their Luxury brand provide it, too? No reviewer or anybody on this thread ever complained about reliability, that is the reason we are all here in the first place. Having Android/car play is not "latest" and does not in any way make the car unreliable. In fact, keeping drivers off their phones should be something Lexus should embrace.

Again, their sales are dropping each year, reliability alone won't cut it anymore when people change cars every 3 years.
Old 05-28-20, 05:36 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
OK but WHY? What are the exact specific reasons for doing so, and what will this accomplish? Is the reason just to please naysayers & whiners? They were all sold. Everyone made their cut/profit. They'll continue selling out. Lexus is profitable - they don't give a sh|t.

People knew what they're buying however many years ago they bought it. Is incessantly griping about it really necessary for 6+ years?

How does this affect &/or impact you, and anyone else whining about the same, and why do you care what Lexus does, or does not do?

Right now, if you have a 2014 to 2020 IS, how does this benefit you? If a new IS comes out with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, are y'all going to IMMEDIATELY sell your cars, go out, and buy a brand new IS? lol

I think others have mentioned all this banter is nothing but a first world talking point.
I will leave this alone as you are clearly in the minority. Again, there's a reason why that thread about it is the longest on this sub. Enjoy what you have, but just because others want something else doesn't make them whiners. Again, IS sales have been going down, do i know the reason? No.. but maybe it's time to give consumers one thing they crave. Peace.
The following 3 users liked this post by babaijebu:
arentz07 (05-28-20), DerrtyBird (05-28-20), Gladius (05-28-20)
Old 05-28-20, 07:14 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
It's not about focus, it's about standard.. It's 2020 now. Everyone relies on their smartphones nowadays for navigation, music etc. Most people are either on IOS or Android. You have to keep up with the time. If a 13k brand new car like the Chevrolet Spark in 2016 could have apple carplay, there no reason my 2019 IS which is triple the price cannot.
Im on both sides of the fence here (is that allowed? Lol) but mostly I don't care it doesnt have the tech. As stated before its already got more than I care the have in this car for its purpose.

But I will add i got a CPO 2018 Hyundai Tucson SEL for $14k and it has Android and Carplay standard (SEL is like the mid-grade between base and premium). With a touchscreen that I have to say is surprisingly very responsive and consistently works well.
Old 05-28-20, 07:45 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

When I bought my IS350 F-Sport RWD in early 2015, i felt it was extremely competitive with the best from BMW and Audi. Sure it was slower than a 335 but it was faster than a 328 and the handling was better than both. The AVS made the car feel nimble in corners and i test drove a lot of cars to know that it was simply the best car in its class. The infotainment back then was considered bad but that was really before Carplay and Android auto were available widely. Now, the car is really long in the tooth but some of its specialness still remain. It still corners relatively well despite the competition and its speed is now a little slow in the IS350 form but about the same as the base offerings from competitors. The car still feels like its bolted together very well and the design is still the most eye catching in its segment. I wouldn't call it a performance car though (just sporty) as the competition has really stepped it up quite a bit. The new 3 series handle as well or better and the Giulia and G70 probably handle the best in its segment. The base models of these cars also do 0-60 in the mid to low 5 second range now and the mid-tier offerings like the BMW M340, Infiniti RS, Model 3 AWD do it in the low 4 seconds. If you want to talk about price, the car MSRPs around $50k loaded which gets you into many faster cars in its segment such as the G70, Model 3 AWD and Infiniti RS. All of these cars infotainment are of course much much better than the Lexus infotainment which is train wreck at this point.

If you take into account all these factors, its no wonder sales have tanked but the flip side is, no one should be buying an IS350 for $50k. The dealerships can't give these cars away so you should be able to score near $42k for a fully loaded version. At $42k, its a screaming deal.
The following 2 users liked this post by EZZ:
arentz07 (05-28-20), LaZeR (05-28-20)
Old 05-28-20, 07:50 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,909 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Just want to say I appreciate all the passionate discussion, but of course be respectful of everyone else's passion too! The 3IS is a weird car in some ways and clearly is polarizing. Lexus did their own thing with this car, and it shows. I think it's still a great car for enthusiasts, or say, someone who wants a fun car but no significant maintenance/reliability woes. I'm still intrigued by what Lexus is doing with the refresh.
The following users liked this post:
EZZ (05-28-20)
Old 05-28-20, 10:43 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
I wonder if the people justifying the lack of new tech in the IS just want to make themselves feel better about the IS’s infotainment and electronics being super outdated lol. I mean, I bought my IS in 2018 knowing full well what the IS was missing, but still doesn’t justify Lexus keeping all these little modern things out of the design almost 7 years later. IS sales have been slipping a LOT and there’s a reason for that.
It has more to do with the fact that we speak from a point of view that is Logical, Reasonable, Rational, as opposed to whiny, crybaby, l'il girl-like.

And who made you Justifier In Chief for Lexus? Why do you give a sh|t about IS Sales? Oh ya, forgot, dude don't answer n0 Qs, nor read the posts.

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-28-20 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-28-20, 10:46 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

It has more to do with the fact that we speak from a point of view that is Logical, Reasonable, Rationale, as opposed to whiny, crybaby, l'il girl-like.

And who made you Justifier In Chief for Lexus? Why do you give a sh|t about IS Sales? Oh ya, forgot, dude don't answer n0 Qs.
I love my IS. I did what I had to do to make it exactly what I wanted. I corrected Lexus’s mistake with an aftermarket screen.
Old 05-28-20, 10:52 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by EZZ
... no one should be buying an IS350 for $50k. The dealerships can't give these cars away so you should be able to score near $42k for a fully loaded version. At $42k, its a screaming deal.
You seriously think you can score a Brand New, 2020/21, IS350 FSport RWD OTD @ $42k? Highly doubt much less than $50k. Wait a few months for CPO and MAYBE ~$46.

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-28-20 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-28-20, 10:55 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Seriously? You’re seriously defending Lexus for not putting the latest tech in a $40k car? You’re also stating a Lexus IS has “performance” lol. The IS 350 would get wrecked by almost any other “sports car” out there. Lexus is a luxury brand, a luxury brand costs more than the average car and in turn should come with all the bells and whistles. I didn’t buy my Lexus IS for “performance” I bought it for the reliability and slight sporty handling along with the RWD dynamics and the beautiful looks. My biggest gripe with it was the horrendous infotainment and I rectified that with an Android tablet that can do a billion things more and better than the stock system not to mention upgraded to a 10” screen over that tiny ugly stock one. Don’t even get me started on your “Fine driving” comment LMAO
I rarely browse these forums these days since the majority here now have hard on's for the IS and don't like to see it being compared to anything to have a civilized conversation about it. But I just had to comment on this thread since I'm surprised just as you are that people here are defending a 40k+ vehicle for lacking in tech in 2020 where a car half the price has more advancements.

The 'FiNe DriVinG' comment is hilarious. I as well have never heard anyone say I'm going to buy a Lexus for performance, and when I had my Lexus I got it for EXACT reasons you stated (reliability and slight sporty handling along with the RWD dynamics and the beautiful looks). Lexus could not keep up with the advancements in the automotive world, so when it came to getting a new car it was an easy decision for me which car wins and losses and the IS clearly lost literally in every category and I welcomed a beautiful new 3 series home.

Now before the 'die-hards' have a fit, I will exit this thread. Keep pumping up the outdated IS (sales clearly show how unpopular it is becoming). Maybe one day if there is a competitive IS to other brands, I will take a look.
DarthLex (06-10-20)
Old 05-28-20, 11:08 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

You seriously think you can score a Brand New, 2020/21, IS350 FSport RWD OTD @ $42k? Highly doubt much less than $50k. Wait a few months for CPO and MAYBE ~$46.
Not out the door. Selling price. I had an MSRP of $50k that I got for $44k in 2015 (selling price, not OtD). You're telling me that I can't get $42k for an older platform car now? The issue is, a G70 costs a little more than that for 365hp and handling that is better along with newer tech and better interior. The Lexus is probably more reliable but if that's the only advantage, you can see why it's not as competitive anymore.
Old 05-28-20, 11:10 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,909 Likes on 1,974 Posts

I actually disagree here, LaZeR. A lot of people buying new cars are comparing across multiple makes, and if you spreadsheet-shop an IS versus others, say an A4 or new 330i, it just doesn't make sense. Lower-trim IS's will do better in that regard especially with the standard active safety, but the upper trim models don't represent a good value. The only reason it might be hard to get discounts on a 350 is availability. They don't generally sell a lot of them.
Old 05-28-20, 11:11 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
Not out the door. Selling price. I had an MSRP of $50k that I got for $44k in 2015 (selling price, not OtD). You're telling me that I can't get $42k for an older platform car now? The issue is, a G70 costs a little more than that for 365hp and handling that is better along with newer tech and better interior. The Lexus is probably more reliable but if that's the only advantage, you can see why it's not as competitive anymore.
You can’t convince someone that thinks the IS is the greatest car ever made that this is possible. They will probably also go into denial since they didn’t get theirs for that price and paid $50k and thought it was fair haha.
Old 05-28-20, 11:19 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

You can’t convince someone that thinks the IS is the greatest car ever made that this is possible. They will probably also go into denial since they didn’t get theirs for that price and paid $50k and thought it was fair haha.
I literally had 5 internet sales managers bidding down on the exact spec of the car I wanted. In the end, the one with the lowest bid won and picked up the car (it was late Feb and they really wanted to move inventory as sales had dried up due to Christmas). I think in these pandemic times, I'd completely hammer the dealers into getting something under $42k. Just be willing to travel a hundred miles and you'll get them to bid down pretty low. No mercy to dealers
Old 05-28-20, 11:22 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
I literally had 5 internet sales managers bidding down on the exact spec of the car I wanted. In the end, the one with the lowest bid won and picked up the car (it was late Feb and they really wanted to move inventory as sales had dried up due to Christmas). I think in these pandemic times, I'd completely hammer the dealers into getting something under $42k. Just be willing to travel a hundred miles and you'll get them to bid down pretty low. No mercy to dealers
I did exactly this with 3 different dealers in my area and got my IS 300 RWD F Sport for $35k out the door. Lol
EZZ (05-28-20)
Old 05-28-20, 11:35 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

I did exactly this with 3 different dealers in my area and got my IS 300 RWD F Sport for $35k out the door. Lol
How is it legitimate to comment on performance if you have a 300? The 350 is almost an entirely different car.

Quick Reply: Why does every reviewer seem to complain about the 3IS being outdated?