IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Quiet tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-20, 08:56 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,390 Likes on 638 Posts

I have the Continental Extreme Contact on my 2IS and really like them for an everyday street tire.
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 05-22-20, 09:47 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
I have the Continental Extreme Contact on my 2IS and really like them for an everyday street tire.
I agree from what I remember those are never a bad choice. Dont recall the noise though. But they make good tires for everyday driving.
Old 05-22-20, 07:05 PM
kalin02
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default quiet tires

i just got a set of continental control contact sport srs tires a couple of days ago and they seem to be quieter than the stock tires. i don't know if the difference is that great or the conti's are quieter just because they are new. i don't drive aggressively so i didn't have to replace the stock tires until i had a little over 31,000 miles to give you some idea how long the factory tires lasted me. from what i can tell so far the conti's are decent all season tires but i have heard guys that drive aggressively say that the sidewalls aren't as stiff as more performance oriented tires but that wasn't the type of tire that i wanted either.
Old 05-23-20, 06:23 AM
MadmanJay
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the Michelin AS 3+ for my 2017 IS 300 last summer. I do not recommend them if you are looking for a quiet tire. Honestly I find these tires louder than my winter tires which are Michelin XI3. It couldn’t believe the difference... as soon as I put my winters on I thought.... Wow my car sounds so much quieter now. Very wierd.

They are however a very grippy tire if you want to drive aggressively.

I think I will consider the Continental tires for my next round.
Old 05-23-20, 06:45 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by MadmanJay
I bought the Michelin AS 3+ for my 2017 IS 300 last summer. I do not recommend them if you are looking for a quiet tire. Honestly I find these tires louder than my winter tires which are Michelin XI3. It couldn’t believe the difference... as soon as I put my winters on I thought.... Wow my car sounds so much quieter now. Very wierd.
So funny. I’ve posted the same in other threads. Mine came with the AS 3+, and I use the same XI3 winter tire. Had the same experience and hate going back to the AS 3+ every spring. Hoping they wear out sometime.
Old 05-23-20, 07:13 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i had the continental extremecontact sports on my previous 3IS and they were just as noisy if not noisier than the stock bridgestones. i live in southern california and the roads where i live are very well maintained. the freeway is where the noise would be super intrusive.
Old 05-24-20, 05:22 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,755 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Originally Posted by kalin02
i just got a set of continental control contact sport srs tires a couple of days ago and they seem to be quieter than the stock tires. i don't know if the difference is that great or the conti's are quieter just because they are new. i don't drive aggressively so i didn't have to replace the stock tires until i had a little over 31,000 miles to give you some idea how long the factory tires lasted me. from what i can tell so far the conti's are decent all season tires but i have heard guys that drive aggressively say that the sidewalls aren't as stiff as more performance oriented tires but that wasn't the type of tire that i wanted either.
Interesting. When I got my GTI, it had some Continental Control Contact Sport AS tires on it, which are no longer in production - seemingly replaced by the SRSs. Photo:

I do think they were decently quiet, but not as quiet as my Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate tires that I am currently running. I agree the sidewall definitely felt a little soft in comparison to the Goodyears as well, but not dramatically different. I pinched one of the Continentals in the first pothole I hit, so perhaps that speaks to how soft they are. Overall though, they were good tires to drive on, being decently quiet and comfortable but giving good feel on turning. The Goodyears are better in almost every way, though they are a bit more numb - perhaps due to being newer and having more tread depth.

Last edited by arentz07; 05-24-20 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-25-20, 10:37 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nangkang AS-25!
Old 05-25-20, 11:51 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

michelin pilot sport 4s or nothing!
Old 05-26-20, 02:12 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by logix1229
michelin pilot sport 4s or nothing!
those are amazing tires if spirited driving is the goal, but they are noisy as hell on the highway if using the car as a commuter.
Old 05-26-20, 03:27 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
those are amazing tires if spirited driving is the goal, but they are noisy as hell on the highway if using the car as a commuter.
I disagree, they are actually quieter than the Pilot Sport A/S 3+‘s. Road noise is also subjective because I’ve never been bothered by it wit any tires I’ve tried. If road noise is bothering you over your music playing, you probably have a condition.
Old 05-26-20, 08:33 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Eh, didn't notice a ton of road noise in my friend's 335i. I would say they are quieter than most UHP all-seaons.
Old 05-26-20, 09:22 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Flash5
I disagree, they are actually quieter than the Pilot Sport A/S 3+‘s. Road noise is also subjective because I’ve never been bothered by it wit any tires I’ve tried. If road noise is bothering you over your music playing, you probably have a condition.
arentz, please address this.
The following users liked this post:
LaZeR (05-28-20)
Old 05-26-20, 09:36 AM
logix1229
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

solution = turn that drive selector button 2 times to the right, and put in some "spirited driving" on your commute, you commuter.
Old 05-26-20, 09:52 AM
arentz07
drives cars

arentz, please address this.
Sorry, didn't catch that last part when I read the first time.

@Flash5: Warning for rude commentary. You could have just ended your post one sentence earlier and it would have been fine. You can have an argument here, but no need to make it personal.
The following users liked this post:
LaZeR (05-28-20)

Quick Reply: Quiet tires?