IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Quiet tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 01:24 PM
HeppMe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quiet tires?

So I’m looking to replace my original tires (Bridgestone Turanzas) which I feel like aren’t really well-suited for the IS. They’re a little harsher than I expected and the tread life isn’t that great. I’m only at 28k miles and they’re almost completely worn.

I want to replace them with a quiet tire. We don’t see much inclement weather where I live and roads are dry most of the year. I don’t drive aggressively either so I don’t need a high performance tire.

Can anyone recommend a good tire? Or is there a thread that someone can point me to?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-20, 07:04 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,754 Likes on 1,906 Posts

There are lots of threads about this topic, but I think you're the first to specifically ask about noise. From what I have read/heard as well as my experience with the car, I can speak to a few tires:
  • BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S - quieter over smooth pavement compared to the Bridgestone Turanzas, but louder over imperfect surfaces. A much sportier tire with a firmer ride. Some humming noise at 65 MPH.
  • Confinental ExtremeContact DWS06 - a much more comfortable tire than OE with decent performance especially in the snow.
  • Michelin PS A/S 3+ - probably better than the Goodrich in terms of comfort, but I have heard the humming noise also happens with that tire, with some road noise. However it's unquestionably a good performance tire.
  • Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate: These are tires that I have just installed on my GTI, and I am impressed at their quietness so far. A decently sporty tire but certainly agreeable in terms of comfort and quietness. Maybe a little less steering feel than the Continentals that came on the car, but that could be down to tread depth.
Old 05-21-20, 07:31 AM
HeppMe
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply! Those are great suggestions. I have it narrowed down to these three:

- Continental Control Contact Sport
- Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
- Pirelli Conturato Strada Sport AS

I’ve always liked Michelin the best but the price difference between them and the Continentals is a couple hundred dollars, and I’m not sure if the premium is worth it since the Continentals seem to be equally well-reviewed. I like the Pirellis too as they are also highly rated on comfort but are on the lower end of the price range so there must be a reason why they’re cheaper.

Any thoughts on these?
Old 05-21-20, 07:56 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by HeppMe
Thanks for the reply! Those are great suggestions. I have it narrowed down to these three:

I’ve always liked Michelin the best but the price difference between them and the Continentals is a couple hundred dollars, and I’m not sure if the premium is worth it since the Continentals seem to be equally well-reviewed. I like the Pirellis too as they are also highly rated on comfort but are on the lower end of the price range so there must be a reason why they’re cheaper.

Any thoughts on these?
The Michelin's are not worth it for someone who isn't looking for a sporty and aggressive ride. I would go with the cheapest of those you narrowed down as they are all good tires, but have different characteristics. Go with the Pirelli's IMO if you don't care about sport performance.
The following users liked this post:
ncatona (05-28-20)
Old 05-21-20, 08:08 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Go with expensive tires and you are just pi55ing away money due to how fast these cars eat tires. particularly the front. And extra particularly since you don't drive aggressively. I'd probably go with something like Hankook all seasons and call it a day. Concept V2, Noble S2, V12 etc. Best bang for the buck on the "comfort" end.
Old 05-21-20, 09:43 AM
arentz07
drives cars

The ControlContact Sport are the tires my car had when I bought it. I don't recommend them for quietness. The Goodyears are much quieter.

edit: Though, E46CT has a good point, price is certainly a factor. There's no point in getting the most expensive tire available on the IS due to how it eats front tires.

edit 2: I second Flash5 on the Michelins. Maybe you could describe what you want to do with the car? Do you like to go driving on the twisty roads/canyons? Commuting? If the latter, don't bother with the Michelins. But also, I think even those Continental ControlContact Sports are probably overkill. Just go for the DWS06 if you want comfort, or perhaps the Pirellis from your list. (Looks like you are using Discount Tire? Otherwise those ControlContacts wouldn't be available...)

Last edited by arentz07; 05-21-20 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-21-20, 10:00 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Any thoughts on these?
Michelins PS A/S 3 is quiet on winter and a biatch on summer. I started hearing this loud humming noise again at ~60MPH range since it's getting warmer in my area now.
Old 05-21-20, 10:41 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
The ControlContact Sport are the tires my car had when I bought it. I don't recommend them for quietness. The Goodyears are much quieter.

edit: Though, E46CT has a good point, price is certainly a factor. There's no point in getting the most expensive tire available on the IS due to how it eats front tires.

edit 2: I second Flash5 on the Michelins. Maybe you could describe what you want to do with the car? Do you like to go driving on the twisty roads/canyons? Commuting? If the latter, don't bother with the Michelins. But also, I think even those Continental ControlContact Sports are probably overkill. Just go for the DWS06 if you want comfort, or perhaps the Pirellis from your list. (Looks like you are using Discount Tire? Otherwise those ControlContacts wouldn't be available...)
He stated he doesn't need performance tires because he doesn't drive aggressively etc lol.
Old 05-21-20, 10:44 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

I had two sets of the Continental ExtremeContact (Z4) as has my friend (Mazda 3) and we've found them to be great all-round tires. Good summer grip, reasonably quiet, and pretty good in the snow too, plus they've lasted at least as long as their rating which is excellent. All that and at a decent price, and they are likely what I'm going to once these Turanza rollerskates are done.
Old 05-21-20, 11:28 AM
HeppMe
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like I’ll be leaning more towards the Continentals or Pirellis. This is a commuter car and we never drive aggressively, especially since most of the time our toddler is riding in the back. Just want some tires that will make things a hair quieter in the cabin
Old 05-21-20, 11:54 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Go with expensive tires and you are just pi55ing away money due to how fast these cars eat tires. particularly the front. And extra particularly since you don't drive aggressively. I'd probably go with something like Hankook all seasons and call it a day. Concept V2, Noble S2, V12 etc. Best bang for the buck on the "comfort" end.
Thats exactly what id get probably on a computer. V12 I think is the sporty tire, similar to a summer tresd. My cars a commuter but I don't want commuter tires so I got the Firehawk Indys. They're soft but they're quiet! And cheap.
Old 05-21-20, 02:23 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

... Or is there a thread that someone can point me to?
Ya here's one - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...new-tires.html

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is the best for bumps, potholes, badly paved roads, etc, huge difference when driving over them, and barely even noticeable.

Whatever the choice however, new tires feel sooooo good!

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-21-20 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 07:25 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Thats exactly what id get probably on a computer. V12 I think is the sporty tire, similar to a summer tresd. My cars a commuter but I don't want commuter tires so I got the Firehawk Indys. They're soft but they're quiet! And cheap.
+1. Wish I had noticed the OP is from Texas before - maybe summer tires like those Firehawks would be a better fit. I've driven an IS 350 with those tires, and I agree - they are nice and quiet!
Old 05-22-20, 05:53 AM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just went with the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's.
Old 05-22-20, 05:57 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Live in Texas too and got Firehawk Indy 500 on my IS 350. No complains, especially for the price i paid for it.

Quick Reply: Quiet tires?