IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3G NETWORK RETIREMENT Oct 2022

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 06:18 PM
DavoLBC
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Compared to the competition, its pretty bad. Lexus also started taking features away over time because they were lazy about updating the software. Their whole infotainment strategy is a complete disaster.
I prefer the Lexus app and it's speed functions better than the Mercedes one I use. My Mercedes app either doesn't do what it's supposed to do and comes back with an error or it takes 5 minutes. Either way in my opinion the technology is part of the purchase of the vehicle. I certainly wouldn't buy a car and after 3 years they say they're taking out the rear two windows.
Old 09-15-20, 06:30 PM
DavoLBC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mgoode5407
So is there no chance that they will offer any upgrades before expiration? Seems like they will lose a lot of subscribers if they don’t.
They will lose subscribers and customers. I know I will no longer own Alexis or ever purchase one again. Also including the fact that they're getting rid of the GS model when they should have gotten rid of the ES. The GS350 F sport it's the only thing they have that I like anymore so they got nothing for me.
Old 09-20-20, 06:33 PM
StevenTodd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by athanato
No but it is their fault for using 3G modules since 4G has been in use for some time now.
I agree. My brother bought a 2016 Camaro and GM switched to 4G in 2015. No excuse for Lexus to wait until the 2019 model year to switch to 4G. Lexus is always behind the times when it comes to the latest technology. They refused to add Apple Car Play or Android Auto until recently and only because customers demanded it. I for one will be trading off my 2016 ES350 to maximize its trade in value. Will not buy another Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
DavoLBC (09-24-20)
Old 09-20-20, 06:59 PM
DavoLBC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DavoLBC
I prefer the Lexus app and it's speed functions better than the Mercedes one I use. My Mercedes app either doesn't do what it's supposed to do and comes back with an error or it takes 5 minutes. Either way in my opinion the technology is part of the purchase of the vehicle. I certainly wouldn't buy a car and after 3 years they say they're taking out the rear two windows.
This is why Lexus will always be in the "pursuit". They do sell an aftermarket module that gives you Android Auto and Apple CarPlay just Google it and you will find it. But there are many other things because of the 3G screw up that Lexus did and leaving all their high-end customers hanging off a cliff that they need to remedy before 3G is taking offline. This not only affects Lexus but Toyota vehicles also and for people out there that think there won't be any bad PR from that should think again. As you said you're not going to buy another Lexus and neither will I That's got to cost them a lot of money when you add up all the people switching over to updated vehicles that won't be outdated in 2 to 4 years. they sell the vehicles with a statement that they are supposed to have a 10-year lifetime. That means everything not just that the engine might still run or that it hasn't been scrapped yet. Toyota used to make a good car like I've said in another post and it is just very sad how far downhill they've come or gone. When an American car has better technology then a Asian car specifically a Japanese vehicle that's not right at least it didn't used to be.
Old 09-20-20, 09:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by DavoLBC
This is why Lexus will always be in the "pursuit". They do sell an aftermarket module that gives you Android Auto and Apple CarPlay just Google it and you will find it. But there are many other things because of the 3G screw up that Lexus did and leaving all their high-end customers hanging off a cliff that they need to remedy before 3G is taking offline. This not only affects Lexus but Toyota vehicles also and for people out there that think there won't be any bad PR from that should think again. As you said you're not going to buy another Lexus and neither will I That's got to cost them a lot of money when you add up all the people switching over to updated vehicles that won't be outdated in 2 to 4 years. they sell the vehicles with a statement that they are supposed to have a 10-year lifetime. That means everything not just that the engine might still run or that it hasn't been scrapped yet. Toyota used to make a good car like I've said in another post and it is just very sad how far downhill they've come or gone. When an American car has better technology then a Asian car specifically a Japanese vehicle that's not right at least it didn't used to be.
Lets not attack American car companies here. American car companies and tech companies have far better technology than other manufacturer including the Germans. Tesla infotainment far exceeds anything the Germans and Japanese have and the only close competitor is the Polestar 2 which uses Android as the car's interface (another American invention). The Japanese on the whole have stagnated for the last decade. The Korean's have outpaced them on infotainment technology and the Japanese were never even close to the Germans. Japanese car's have exceeded on quality and reliability but its at the expense of technology...their old stuff never breaks because its a couple generations behind. Every review of the Enform system pans it and its considered the worst infotainment in the industry. At least Lexus realizes this now and just gives you Carplay and Android Auto and gives you a touchscreen to interact with those systems.
Old 09-20-20, 09:23 PM
Dinkleburg
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s3v3n
This can already be done via Techstream.
From what I saw in a post on reddit, you are unable to remote start even with the option enabled in techstream unless you have the subscription. Heres the Reddit post.
Old 02-24-21, 10:50 AM
bjwardsd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 4g

Originally Posted by StevenTodd
I agree. My brother bought a 2016 Camaro and GM switched to 4G in 2015. No excuse for Lexus to wait until the 2019 model year to switch to 4G. Lexus is always behind the times when it comes to the latest technology. They refused to add Apple Car Play or Android Auto until recently and only because customers demanded it. I for one will be trading off my 2016 ES350 to maximize its trade in value. Will not buy another Lexus.
The 4G implementation was made in all 2018 models except for GX, which went 4G in 2019. Unfortunately I have a 2015 RC350 for which I lose all the Enform capability with no upgrades available to make the current 3G functionality work on newer 4G cellular infrastructure. So I also will trade off my RC350 to cut my losses. Best wishes to Lexus - I guess part of their marketing strategy is to strongly upset their customer base by being totally lame rather than provide an upgrade. Hey, what does Lexus care if you are in the position of trying to trade your vehicle in while the dealer or customer is pointing out that all this functionality that use to work on the car is no longer operational. OBVIOUSLY Lexus management is obviously staffed with idiots!
Old 03-17-21, 05:41 PM
tonbucc
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lexus Should design a fix to this

Originally Posted by Rhydg1
Good riddance? You know you don't have to use any of it, right? Now everyone is just going to have some functions of their car made useless, and a SOS connect button that's no longer going to do anything. How is that good for anyone, even if you did not like it?

I understand the shutdown of the 3G networks across the country, but I think there should be some kind of a upgrade path, even if it's paid for. I use the remote start from my phone everyday during the summer.

Lexus has engineers that have designed many complex features
They should design an upgrade to fix this by either designing a modules to replace the 3g with 4 g or better yet 4g and 5g
or we will be having this discussion again soon

or designing a USB interface like some other vendors have designed

or design a fix through their Lexus APP suite

or design a fix through ALEXA

This is very bad for Lexus just to try to say it is a 3g discontinue issue

The SOS feature in the Lexus is a critical function and in no way should be allowed not to continue functioning.

Old 03-18-21, 09:13 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm no legal guy, but this sounds like a class action lawsuit in the making
The following 3 users liked this post by anthonys2r:
AML (01-14-22), Bxtaskforc (10-22-21), matthew2 (12-20-21)
Old 05-24-21, 10:41 PM
tonbucc
4th Gear

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
I'm no legal guy, but this sounds like a class action lawsuit in the making
Does anyone on this forum know how to escalate issues to a Lexus Senior Management person

When calling Lexus Customer Service Corporate they say they are the highest escalation possible and they refuse to give out any Senior management escalation techniques or emails.

Has anyone on this forum developed a technique to send to Lexus Senior Management Customer Issues
Other companies have a Customer Advocacy Group attached to the office of the CEO or the office of the President.
Old 05-24-21, 10:52 PM
tonbucc
4th Gear

Originally Posted by tonbucc
Lexus has engineers that have designed many complex features
They should design an upgrade to fix this by either designing a modules to replace the 3g with 4 g or better yet 4g and 5g
or we will be having this discussion again soon

or designing a USB interface like some other vendors have designed

or design a fix through their Lexus APP suite

or design a fix through ALEXA

This is very bad for Lexus just to try to say it is a 3g discontinue issue

The SOS feature in the Lexus is a critical function and in no way should be allowed not to continue functioning.
Does anyone on this forum know how to escalate issues to a Lexus Senior Management person

When calling Lexus Customer Service Corporate they say they are the highest escalation possible and they refuse to give out any Senior management escalation techniques or emails.

Has anyone on this forum developed a technique to send to Lexus Senior Management Customer Issues
Other companies have a Customer Advocacy Group attached to the office of the CEO or the office of the President.
tonbucc is online now Report Post
Old 06-16-21, 03:57 PM
wsvc206
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

this what I did

https://www.amazon.com/MyCar-Control-Remote-Start-Using/dp/B01MQKOBIA/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=MPC+MYCAR+module&qid=1623256135&s=automotive&sr=1-1

MPC Factory Remote Activated... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KYL6PBR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Old 06-27-21, 12:52 PM
hvdcman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I for one am in the trade it group. Our 2017 GS-F was supposed to be last car we bought to travel in. This changes everything for us. Now, that Porsche Macaan I’ve been eyeing is looking even better.....
Old 10-22-21, 07:16 PM
ginab
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carrier

Does anyone know who the 3G carrier is for Lexus vehicles? T-mobile just came out today and said they were extending their 3G sunset plans. I think Verizon also made an extension announcement. I'd like to know what carrier my 2016 RX uses.

Thanks, Gina
Old 10-22-21, 07:22 PM
Bxtaskforc
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ginab
Does anyone know who the 3G carrier is for Lexus vehicles? T-mobile just came out today and said they were extending their 3G sunset plans. I think Verizon also made an extension announcement. I'd like to know what carrier my 2016 RX uses.

Thanks, Gina
Tmobile stated:
After multiple changes, T-Mobile is setting its foot down on a solid timeline, at least for now. On its page for tracking its “Network Evolution,” the carrier notes that it will be shutting down its 3G UMTS network on July 1, 2022.
Verizon has delayed its CDMA 3G network shutdown several times but is now firmly committed to shutting the
network down by December 31st, 2022.

Quick Reply: 3G NETWORK RETIREMENT Oct 2022