IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Steering wheel a little off to the side on straight roads - LCA worth replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 12:48 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by silbercar
Thank you so much for the Godspeed response! You have been super helpful.

question: is the rear camber kit really recommended? Funny to think that I hit the pothole on the left side of the vehicle but turns out, it’s the right side that’s off.

I thought about just adjusting the front toe to straighten the steering.
If the left side only hit, then other than throwing the Toe out, nothing else was effected.
You could just straighten the wheel, but without addressing the right rear Camber, that slight pull to the right will still be present.
As a test you could have them straighten the wheel and see how it drives after...if you still notice the slight pull to the right, then at least you know what next steps are.
If the right rear was always like that since you had the car, then the slight pull to the right should have always been there.

Technically if you increased the right front Camber to around -1.3 degrees, that would counter the effect of the pull from the rear, essentially making the car drive straight...without the need for adjustable Camber arms in the rear.
The front Camber adjusters should have enough adjustment to achieve this...and it shouldn't cause any odd tire wear.
I think it comes down to finding the right Tech that understands alignments and is willing to spend the time to make the car drive straight using the available adjusters on the vehicle...it should absolutely be possible in this case.
The following users liked this post:
silbercar (06-15-20)
Old 06-10-20, 01:02 PM
silbercar
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
If the left side only hit, then other than throwing the Toe out, nothing else was effected.
You could just straighten the wheel, but without addressing the right rear Camber, that slight pull to the right will still be present.
As a test you could have them straighten the wheel and see how it drives after...if you still notice the slight pull to the right, then at least you know what next steps are.
If the right rear was always like that since you had the car, then the slight pull to the right should have always been there.

Technically if you increased the right front Camber to around -1.3 degrees, that would counter the effect of the pull from the rear, essentially making the car drive straight...without the need for adjustable Camber arms in the rear.
The front Camber adjusters should have enough adjustment to achieve this...and it shouldn't cause any odd tire wear.
I think it comes down to finding the right Tech that understands alignments and is willing to spend the time to make the car drive straight using the available adjusters on the vehicle...it should absolutely be possible in this case.
I’ll mention the right rear camber. I’m going to be sending my vehicle in to an alignment shop, found a reputable one.

Unfortunately, my next day off isn’t until Monday so I’ll let you know by then how it goes.
Old 06-15-20, 10:43 AM
silbercar
Driver

Update:

Nothing out of the ordinary was found. As you said, left toe was off. Mechanic aligned the vehicle and now she drives as straight as an arrow.

For future reference to readers:

The work was done at Apex Motoring in Mississauga. Took 20 minutes, mechanic did a test drive, and explained everything from the alignment sheet. Potholes tend to throw alignments off on stock suspension and it takes serious damage to require any part replacements, unless you’re on coilovers or other suspension mods.

Thanks again to sasnuke for easing my mind the whole week with a thorough analysis on this matter!
Sasnuke (06-15-20)
Old 06-15-20, 11:08 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by silbercar
That's one beautiful looking alignment!
Dude even fixed up the rear Toe too!

The rear Camber looks spot on, and since there is no adjustment, that would suggest the first alignment machine (at the dealer) needs a service and calibration...cause the rear Camber wasn't close to what this machine is reading.

I guess the only question is, how does it drive? If it's driving fine and straight, then I would tend to take this alignment printout as correct.
silbercar (06-16-20)
Old 06-15-20, 11:34 AM
silbercar
Driver

That's one beautiful looking alignment!
Dude even fixed up the rear Toe too!

The rear Camber looks spot on, and since there is no adjustment, that would suggest the first alignment machine (at the dealer) needs a service and calibration...cause the rear Camber wasn't close to what this machine is reading.

I guess the only question is, how does it drive? If it's driving fine and straight, then I would tend to take this alignment printout as correct.
Yeah I felt that the alignment from the dealership was off, steering to the left felt somewhat loose even after the second visit. I now know not to go there anymore for alignments and to visit this shop again in Mississauga lol.

Steering is tight and straight, car drives straight and it feels as if I’m driving a new car again.
Old 06-16-20, 10:35 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

SASNUKE made another customer!! You can't imagine how much having a guy like you posting on a site like this makes a HUGE difference for people who loves vehicles but may not be as technical or knowledgeable as you are, and that you give your time so generously is incredible!!

I know I speak on behalf of many people here when I say a GENUINE thank you for all you do.....
The following 4 users liked this post by wthrman2:
dteskmo (06-17-20), Jazzrock (06-16-20), Sasnuke (06-16-20), silbercar (06-16-20)
Old 06-16-20, 10:40 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks wthrman2, just happy to help and be part of the community.
The following 5 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
dteskmo (06-17-20), Jazzrock (06-16-20), Napalvr (06-16-20), silbercar (06-16-20), wthrman2 (06-17-20)