IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto for oem 10.25 screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-20, 12:13 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by kobrah
Can anyone confirm if the Lexus Park Assist will show if running in Carplay mode ?
would like to know as well
Old 06-25-20, 01:40 PM
NikNikNik
Pole Position

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

What’s Lexus park assist? Is it something to do with having parking sensors?
Old 06-25-20, 01:42 PM
kobrah
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NikNikNik
What’s Lexus park assist? Is it something to do with having parking sensors?
yea, the rear sensors
Old 06-25-20, 06:05 PM
VictorNey
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdamx594
To anyone interested a CarPlay retrofit, I spent a lot of time researching the different models, and I would highly recommend the carlinkit version. There is very little information about the differences between the models, so I wanted to share my experiences.

The carlinkit version offers wireless CarPlay and a self contained control unit. It is sold on several different platforms, but I purchased mine for a 2015 non-nav is250 from carlinkit on eBay. The seller was very responsive, responding within 24hrs to all of my questions. It’s important to know that for most IS models you need the full kit, not the cheaper usb dongle.

One of the the biggest things to look for when purchasing one of these units is a seller that understands the differences between the infotainment systems in each model car. While the control box is the same (you just change the dip switches) the cables vary depending on whether you have a non nav control ****, nav control joystick, or later model touch pad. If you include these specifications when you order, it avoids many of the installation problems many people have with these kits.

The carlinkit is about $260 cheaper than the beat sonic version, however, the biggest advantage of this kit over the beat sonic is that it contains all of the functions in one control unit including wireless CarPlay, rather than two boxes connected via HDMI. Instead of using analog rca inputs, the box accepts a direct usb or wireless connection, and avoids a lot of bulk and cable management issues. The kit functions like a stock CarPlay system and retains all of the built in features like the backup camera, microphone, and steering wheel controls, and even on the smaller “non-nav” screen, the resolution looks great, not pixelated or stretched.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but hopefully this helps 3rd gen is owners looking for a CarPlay retrofit.

-Chris
I have to agree with the Carlinkit option. i just installed it. Works great. 30 seconds after engine start and Carplay is running wirelessly automatically. No need to purchase wireless dongle; its built-in. Highly recommended!
The following 2 users liked this post by VictorNey:
gandalfAUS (06-30-20), mazdamx594 (06-25-20)
Old 06-25-20, 06:09 PM
NikNikNik
Pole Position

^^^ I feel this shows that these units are practically identical/made in the same place since everything they stated is also true for my RoadTop version
Old 06-25-20, 06:34 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

I must be the only with bad luck non working unit.
Old 06-25-20, 09:45 PM
mazdamx594
Driver School Candidate

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
Can it be said that the roadtop box has less issues with rotary ****? Anyone with rotary **** using this?
I am using the carlinkit version (which appears to be identical to the roadtop) with the **** and it is flawless. All of the issues I have seen are either with cars that have the nav split screen or that have the joy stick. That’s not to say the unit won’t work because all of those issues are eventually resolved in the threads I looked at, but the “****” installs are certainly more straightforward.
The following users liked this post:
zhifan1 (06-26-20)
Old 06-26-20, 05:31 AM
yousufmian
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdamx594
I am using the carlinkit version (which appears to be identical to the roadtop) with the **** and it is flawless. All of the issues I have seen are either with cars that have the nav split screen or that have the joy stick. That’s not to say the unit won’t work because all of those issues are eventually resolved in the threads I looked at, but the “****” installs are certainly more straightforward.
Thank God lol. I'm assuming you have the 7inch screen with the ****. Did you need the power cable for the screen?
Old 06-26-20, 05:55 AM
mazdamx594
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yousufmian
Thank God lol. I'm assuming you have the 7inch screen with the ****. Did you need the power cable for the screen?
Yes and yes. I honestly don’t know which is power vs which is signal but I had to connect a blue plug and a white plug. The white plug has two jumpers coming off of it that you have to connect, and the Carlinkit instructions have a diagram showing which jumpers to connect depending on which model you have.

Also, I saw some people asking where to put the WiFi antenna. Since I’m a “****” car, I have a tray just ahead of the cup holders that fits an iPhone perfectly. I routed the WiFi antenna from behind the glovebox, under the radio and under the center console so it sits just below that tray.
Old 06-26-20, 06:32 AM
suginathan
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Does this work with the smaller screen with Nav? I have a 2016 with Nav and Joystick. I noticed two options, the carlink and the RoatTop. Any links to purchase them?
Old 06-26-20, 06:52 AM
mazdamx594
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by suginathan
Does this work with the smaller screen with Nav? I have a 2016 with Nav and Joystick. I noticed two options, the carlink and the RoatTop. Any links to purchase them?
It should, but I would recommend emailing the seller below, he was very helpful.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183870538947
Old 06-26-20, 07:47 AM
NikNikNik
Pole Position

Yea from my experience I kinda expected the **** version to be the best since it’s not a free moving controller like the joystick
Old 06-26-20, 08:40 AM
kobrah
Rookie

well keep in mind that the joystick in general even in the OEM setup is always hit or miss lol
babaijebu (06-26-20)
Old 06-26-20, 11:01 AM
kobrah
Rookie

just noticed the vid from peasodos from another post.
I'm thinking that the reason why joystick control is weird is bc depending on the what OEM screen it might be on in the background, your limited by the range of joystick movements since in OEM it tends to "snap" to the next choice on the screen. So when in Carplay, you can be trying to go move a certain direction while the background OEM screen is limited.
Old 06-26-20, 11:07 AM
mazdamx594
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NikNikNik
Yea from my experience I kinda expected the **** version to be the best since it’s not a free moving controller like the joystick
Believe it or not, the **** acts as a joystick. The **** can rotate or tilt, but the tilt function is very limited in the stock system. However with the CarPlay unit you can use the tilt function to move in any direction no problem.
net4n6 (03-04-24)

Quick Reply: New wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto for oem 10.25 screen