IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto for oem 10.25 screen

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-20, 11:37 AM
yousufmian
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
Hi, I also have the rotary **** with seven inch screen, may I know whether you had to connect the screen power cable and what dip switch did you set to on? Thx..
hey bro i did use the screen power cable. i never tested with out it tho. I set dip on 5 only.
The following users liked this post:
zhifan1 (07-04-20)
Old 07-05-20, 08:08 AM
NikNikNik
Pole Position

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

To clarify, the only screen you don’t use the screen power cable is the oem 10.25. For any other screen you need to use the screen power cable
Old 07-05-20, 09:51 PM
kobrah
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

anyone experiencing alternator whine?
Old 07-06-20, 07:01 AM
JayCee0919
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Road Top Install Complete...Some Thoughts

Hello All:

I put this in over the long weekend and wanted to share just a few quick tips and observations on my 2017 IS300 with Nav and Joystick

I had to keep the OLD CAR connected to the CAN and the NEW CAR connected to the loop-back connector - seems counter-intuitive since I do have the 10.25" SPLIT screen but I tried it both ways and this was the only way it worked
DEFINITELY mount behind the glove box - it's worth the extra time to pull it out and route the wires for a secure fit
DEFINITELY disconnect your battery or at least run your car a few times - rookie mistake for me since I got my car used (although only 30k on it) I killed the battery and had to get a new one....again, rookie mistake
You don't really need a USB extender if you have a long enough Lightening Cable - so if you have a 4' or longer charging cable you should be good to go
I mounted the Wireless receiver under a panel on the side and it's flawless in terms of connection - you don't need to have it on the "outside" of the interior panels

This unit is pretty finicky at start up, I'm not gonna lie. You really have it give it 30 seconds to a full minute for everything to initialize and get the joystick working properly. This can be a problem if you think something is wrong with the device (as I did). When I first start the car, Apple CarPlay will come up but the joystick doesn't work - switching to OEM it gives a blank screen and, unless you realize it's just booting up, it's kind of disconcerting.

When the unit is running it's pretty flawless with some minor quirks - you do have to use the side-to-side motion on some pages to go up-down, on other pages it's fine - no big

Steering Wheel controls work great - and the display is perfectly aligned and formatted so nothing looks stretchy

Aside from the finicky start-up (which I will get used to) I'd say this is pretty solid overall. I'm hopeful with firmware updates it will only get better.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Cheers!
James
The following 4 users liked this post by JayCee0919:
anamynous (07-06-20), gandalfAUS (07-20-20), Jazzrock (07-06-20), Philionair (07-06-20)
Old 07-06-20, 02:07 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Glad to hear everyone is having success with this unit. It's nice we can all get CarPlay/Android Auto since Lexus lives in the stone age infotainment wise lol. If my IS would have came with the OEM 10.25" screen this would have been awesome. The good thing is that there are now two different options (these Road Top units and the 4x4 Shop tablet units).
Old 07-06-20, 04:22 PM
Philionair
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JayCee0919
Hello All:

I put this in over the long weekend and wanted to share just a few quick tips and observations on my 2017 IS300 with Nav and Joystick

I had to keep the OLD CAR connected to the CAN and the NEW CAR connected to the loop-back connector - seems counter-intuitive since I do have the 10.25" SPLIT screen but I tried it both ways and this was the only way it worked
DEFINITELY mount behind the glove box - it's worth the extra time to pull it out and route the wires for a secure fit
DEFINITELY disconnect your battery or at least run your car a few times - rookie mistake for me since I got my car used (although only 30k on it) I killed the battery and had to get a new one....again, rookie mistake
You don't really need a USB extender if you have a long enough Lightening Cable - so if you have a 4' or longer charging cable you should be good to go
I mounted the Wireless receiver under a panel on the side and it's flawless in terms of connection - you don't need to have it on the "outside" of the interior panels

This unit is pretty finicky at start up, I'm not gonna lie. You really have it give it 30 seconds to a full minute for everything to initialize and get the joystick working properly. This can be a problem if you think something is wrong with the device (as I did). When I first start the car, Apple CarPlay will come up but the joystick doesn't work - switching to OEM it gives a blank screen and, unless you realize it's just booting up, it's kind of disconcerting.

When the unit is running it's pretty flawless with some minor quirks - you do have to use the side-to-side motion on some pages to go up-down, on other pages it's fine - no big

Steering Wheel controls work great - and the display is perfectly aligned and formatted so nothing looks stretchy

Aside from the finicky start-up (which I will get used to) I'd say this is pretty solid overall. I'm hopeful with firmware updates it will only get better.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Cheers!
James
Thanks for the detailed insight! I'm still on the fence on doing this as the stock infotainment system isn't TOO bad imo, but also would be nice to have the updated CarPlay interface.

If you have time, it would be solid if you can upload a video of the CarPlay from start up, and then demo-ing it for all of us to see if we should pull the trigger!
Jazzrock (07-06-20)
Old 07-06-20, 09:09 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

You guys are lucky. I received a new cable today still doesn’t work.
Old 07-07-20, 05:45 AM
Fazzi
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Usb

Anyone manage to route a usb cable into the center console (where the Oem connection is)?
Old 07-07-20, 08:24 AM
NikNikNik
Pole Position

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

WARNING IOS 14 DOES NOT WORK - iOS 14 make it so you can’t have wifi on and CarPlay running at the same time, the problem is these units use wifi to connect to your phone and since you can’t have wifi and carplay at the same time wireless CarPlay does not work

but wired still works fine
zhifan1 (07-07-20)
Old 07-07-20, 10:53 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NikNikNik
WARNING IOS 14 DOES NOT WORK - iOS 14 make it so you can’t have wifi on and CarPlay running at the same time, the problem is these units use wifi to connect to your phone and since you can’t have wifi and carplay at the same time wireless CarPlay does not work

Are you sure it doesn't work? Makes no sense because BMW uses wireless Carplay from factory maybe just iOS 14 beta limitation? Post#30 from Macrumors iOS 14 beta CarPlay works wirelessly. You definitely need WiFi to connect just like in BMW. well anyway I can’t even install in my car so I shouldn’t even care 😆.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...#post-28607365

Last edited by dojoman; 07-07-20 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-07-20, 11:19 AM
JayCee0919
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Video of the Road Top Wonkiness....

Here's the link to my video comments - apologies for the crap sound, I had to compress pretty heavily and that affected the audio....

Any questions, feel free to let me know...

Cheers!
James

Last edited by JayCee0919; 07-07-20 at 02:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JayCee0919:
bhatmann (07-20-20), Fazzi (07-07-20), Philionair (07-07-20)
Old 07-07-20, 03:27 PM
kobrah
Rookie

Originally Posted by NikNikNik

I thought the Wifi on these units were only for AirPlay. CarPlay only needs bluetooth. Maybe forget and repair the bluetooth?
Old 07-07-20, 03:40 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kobrah
I thought the Wifi on these units were only for AirPlay. CarPlay only needs bluetooth. Maybe forget and repair the bluetooth?
No, bluetooth has very limited bandwidth so you need both Wifi and Bluetooth for wireless Carplay.
Old 07-07-20, 04:17 PM
kobrah
Rookie

Originally Posted by dojoman
No, bluetooth has very limited bandwidth so you need both Wifi and Bluetooth for wireless Carplay.
If they're using bluetooth 2.0 or older than for sure. I think the reason why they need wifi is to minimize lag.

Hopefully ios 14 doesnt break wireless carplay for these boxes.
Old 07-07-20, 05:05 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JayCee0919
Here's the link to my video comments - apologies for the crap sound, I had to compress pretty heavily and that affected the audio....

Road Top Quirks

Any questions, feel free to let me know...

Cheers!
James
I noticed that in the beginning after booting up your joystick didn’t work for much longer than 30 sec and you went back to oem then back to CarPlay then joystick works. Is it always like that?

Quick Reply: New wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto for oem 10.25 screen