IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto for oem 10.25 screen

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 02:37 PM
johnnyball
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add me to the list of carlinkit fails. I did it last weekend and it took me a few hours to take apart the radio and glove compartment and it didn't even work. I ended up damaging my OEM radio harness too so I had to call a mobile audio installer to come fix it. Ended up costing a few hundred dollars in labor. Luckily for me though the carlinkit guys are giving me a refund on the product and gave me a return shipping label already.
Old 07-08-20, 02:44 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyball
Add me to the list of carlinkit fails. I did it last weekend and it took me a few hours to take apart the radio and glove compartment and it didn't even work. I ended up damaging my OEM radio harness too so I had to call a mobile audio installer to come fix it. Ended up costing a few hundred dollars in labor. Luckily for me though the carlinkit guys are giving me a refund on the product and gave me a return shipping label already.
How are you able to get return shipping label? I asked them many times they just ignored my question and ask me what’s wrong with my unit even though I already told them hundreds of times joystick does not work. How did you manage to damage oem harness bent the pins?
Old 07-08-20, 03:24 PM
johnnyball
Driver School Candidate

To be honest I'm not sure how I damaged it. I thought the fit was a little tight and when I removed the carlinkit unit it took a lot of force to get the OEM harness out. I had to use the pry tool to get it out and then it wouldnt connect to the radio anymore no matter how hard I tried so I thought I'd cut my losses and get a repair guy over. In terms of the return shipping label I just opened an ebay return ticket and asked them for one and they gave me a paragraph on why it should work but put at the end if I wanted a refund to let them know and they'll issue one and they gave me a return label about a day later. I guess I'm lucky in that sense.
Old 07-08-20, 03:35 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyball
To be honest I'm not sure how I damaged it. I thought the fit was a little tight and when I removed the carlinkit unit it took a lot of force to get the OEM harness out. I had to use the pry tool to get it out and then it wouldnt connect to the radio anymore no matter how hard I tried so I thought I'd cut my losses and get a repair guy over. In terms of the return shipping label I just opened an ebay return ticket and asked them for one and they gave me a paragraph on why it should work but put at the end if I wanted a refund to let them know and they'll issue one and they gave me a return label about a day later. I guess I'm lucky in that sense.
These connectors are definitely not OEM quality, the main harness with big connector that has flip out tab I couldn't fully inserted into radio female connector, I almost put a lot of force good thing I didn't. They made these plastic connectors slightly off it's a huge difference from Japanese made Denso connector where it was very easy to remove and insert.
Old 07-08-20, 06:03 PM
kobrah
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

anyone getting alternator whine when setting the audio past 20 ?
Old 07-08-20, 06:27 PM
cp3o
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kobrah
anyone getting alternator whine when setting the audio past 20 ?
yes my seller on Alibaba.com says don’t put it high
mines in a rx350 same unit im sure
Old 07-08-20, 10:27 PM
kobrah
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cp3o
yes my seller on Alibaba.com says don’t put it high
mines in a rx350 same unit im sure
damn, what’s the highest you set it before hearing it?

im currently working with them on troubleshooting.

i think it’s needs to have audio from the CarPlay unit higher than 18. Also think it’s a ground loop issue. Hesitant on messing with their harness.
Old 07-09-20, 07:27 AM
JayCee0919
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New RoadTop Quirks

For whatever reason, the unit has still decided not to allow me to use the joystick in any way on the OEM software - I can hear it clicking away in the background but there is no cursor and the split-screen doesn't funciton at all. There's just a blank spot there.

The Apple CarPlay however works great! When I start up I just have to press MENU to go the useless OEM screen (blank) then press it again to enable the joystick in CarPlay and it's good to go. If I just get in the car and do nothing then eventually CarPlay connects but I still have to do the back-and-forth menu thing to get the joystick to function. It' just easier to press MENU twice and go

I am "working" with their support via Whatsapp but so far it's just the usual stuff of changing a bunch of menu items that don't make a difference. It's hard because they're in China and they don't get on until like 930pm CT and are off by 730am CT (prime sleeping hours) hahaha

Oh well - I bought it for CarPlay and that works so overall I'm happy. I just want to be able to access the OEM stuff if I want and as they advertised.

THOUGHT - I got an update about 3 weeks ago from EFORM on the car, perhaps that screwed up whatever programming they had in place? Wouldn't make sense though since the OEM stuff WAS working then just decided to stop after the update....
Old 07-09-20, 10:10 AM
RC350FS16
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

im trying to understand this roadtop unit more.
Does it include WIRELESS for the android auto portion, or do i strictly need to connect it via usb?

If not HOW do i make it wireless?
I've already ordered and its on the way.. misread the part where only apple carplay is the wireless part. Any help?
I have the 7 inch screen on a 2016 rc350 fsport, will the installation still work?
Old 07-09-20, 10:44 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Ordered it four days ago and my roadtop unit came today... via express shipping, very impressed. My 3IS is the 2016 200t base version, non-navi with rotary ****. Everything works as it should so, quite happy with it. Took me almost four hours to install it, coz simply i'm not a very handy person, but if i can do it, anyone can, truly. All right, here are some things to take note of IMO.

1) When removing the glove box, it is very useful to really release it from the cable holding it back as it makes routing cable so much easier, i nearly didn't wanna release it as it was really hard to remove the clip, but it was worth.
2) I didn't mount behind the glove box, as the space is simply too tight and the box heats up quite abit. In the end, i mounted it above the passenger's footwall using double-sided velcro to hold it, so in the event if the box spoils or whatever, i can just replace the box without taking everything apart again.
3) I routed a usb extension cord underneath the cup holder and into the center console storage shld the need to use wired carplay or android auto arises. Black tape the heck out of the connecting usb cable to prevent it from coming loose.
4) All the connectors fit specific connectors behind the head unit and screen, so there is zero chance of connecting wrongly,
5) Switch the dip switch 5 to on and connect the screen power cable and it will work

Will report back after a few days usage if anything should crop up.. so far so good for rotary ****.
The following 2 users liked this post by zhifan1:
Jazzrock (07-09-20), Philionair (07-09-20)
Old 07-09-20, 02:49 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Originally Posted by RC350FS16
im trying to understand this roadtop unit more.
Does it include WIRELESS for the android auto portion, or do i strictly need to connect it via usb?

If not HOW do i make it wireless?
I've already ordered and its on the way.. misread the part where only apple carplay is the wireless part. Any help?
I have the 7 inch screen on a 2016 rc350 fsport, will the installation still work?
For the roadtop device, according to the manual, it supports wireless android auto as well as wired, so no worries there.
Old 07-09-20, 05:45 PM
Philionair
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
Ordered it four days ago and my roadtop unit came today... via express shipping, very impressed. My 3IS is the 2016 200t base version, non-navi with rotary ****. Everything works as it should so, quite happy with it. Took me almost four hours to install it, coz simply i'm not a very handy person, but if i can do it, anyone can, truly. All right, here are some things to take note of IMO.

1) When removing the glove box, it is very useful to really release it from the cable holding it back as it makes routing cable so much easier, i nearly didn't wanna release it as it was really hard to remove the clip, but it was worth.
2) I didn't mount behind the glove box, as the space is simply too tight and the box heats up quite abit. In the end, i mounted it above the passenger's footwall using double-sided velcro to hold it, so in the event if the box spoils or whatever, i can just replace the box without taking everything apart again.
3) I routed a usb extension cord underneath the cup holder and into the center console storage shld the need to use wired carplay or android auto arises. Black tape the heck out of the connecting usb cable to prevent it from coming loose.
4) All the connectors fit specific connectors behind the head unit and screen, so there is zero chance of connecting wrongly,
5) Switch the dip switch 5 to on and connect the screen power cable and it will work

Will report back after a few days usage if anything should crop up.. so far so good for rotary ****.
I have the 7 inch rotary **** too. Seems like these boxes are buggy for the joystick versions. Care to upload a video of you using the CarPlay with the rotary ****?
Old 07-09-20, 07:49 PM
NikNikNik
Pole Position

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I’m curious when y’all start your cars with wireless CarPlay, does your music auto play too or do you have to manually start your music.
Old 07-10-20, 08:22 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Originally Posted by NikNikNik
I’m curious when y’all start your cars with wireless CarPlay, does your music auto play too or do you have to manually start your music.
Mine has to be manually started.

Originally Posted by Philionair
I have the 7 inch rotary **** too. Seems like these boxes are buggy for the joystick versions. Care to upload a video of you using the CarPlay with the rotary ****?
Sorry, didn't take videos, but there are quite a few videos on youtube on this, it works really quite well for rotary ****.

After using for a day on my iPhone 7+, I can safely say that wired carplay is a better option where everything loads faster as compared to wireless. Perhaps it is due to my phone being so old, there is serious lag at times when using wireless, maybe an iphone 11 will be much faster, can anyone verify? When i was using wireless carplay, connection drops at times and had to wait for it to restart and re-connect and the phone gets seriously hot. To be honest, carplay has to be used with a touchscreen to really experience it to its maximum, this roadtop/carlinkit box is really just a "better-than-nothing" alternative. I actually prefer using wired carplay not only because it loads faster, but also because the only times i need carplay is when I need navigation and wireless carplay auto-connects all the time which i do not need.

1) When carplay is active and making a call, one can only hear and speak when the audio source is at AUX even though the phone is connected to lexus's bluetooth.
2) To use SIRI, audio source has to be in AUX as well, to hear SIRI speaking to you and SIRI works very well by holding down the **** selection button
3) You can use carplay while still listening to FM radio, IPOD, USB mp3s, CD or any other audio sources just that carplay audio wont be heard e.g. turn-by-turn
4) To make a call, you can exit carplay and make call as per normal or remain in carplay, but choose AUX as audio source, provided phone is connected to car's bluetooth
5) Reverse camera, park assist, reverse beeping, sonar beeping works as per normal
6) There is a soft "tick-tick" sound coming from the box whenever carplay is activated
7) If you share the car between family members, wired carplay is better, coz if both phones are programmed to connect wirelessly to carplay, you would have to select the right phone

Above is what i experienced without changing any default settings on the roadtop box nor changing the car's bluetooth settings.

Last edited by zhifan1; 07-10-20 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-10-20, 08:31 AM
holmanr86
7th Gear

So just curios here i have a 14 IS250F sport and navigation and joystick with the small screen is this all i need please see below link?
anything else ? has anyone else done this on the same specs as me?
if so can you let me know if you had any issues?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362985357148

Quick Reply: New wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto for oem 10.25 screen