IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto for oem 10.25 screen

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 04:23 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by cindyshepp
I know there is no way I could do this install myself. If I purchase it who would l look for to install it? Would a place like Best Buy or Car Toys do something like this? Or who would I search for, a stereo shop?????
I highly doubt a place like Best Buy would do it. Most likely you would need to go a car stereo shop.
The following users liked this post:
cindyshepp (07-13-20)
Old 07-13-20, 02:08 PM
JayCee0919
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm actually receiving a replacement unit from RoadTop and sending this back (they are covering return shipping) - I was able to figure out the OEM thing by changing driving modes which somehow activated the split screen and restored full OEM functionality but it seems like this should just work without having to enter the secret code (menu - menu - drive mode - menu). It reminded me of the old school cheat codes on the NES (L-R-L-R-U-D-U-D-B-A-Enter) lol

I'll update when the new box arrives - it is completely useable and if it the new box does the same thing I will still consider it money well spent.
Old 07-13-20, 02:57 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Ughhhh! It’s a nightmare trying to return this thing I spent $60 to send back to Carlinkit it looks like package was rerouted back to me. WTH? So frustrating!!
Old 07-13-20, 03:51 PM
NikNikNik
Pole Position

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Ughhhh! It’s a nightmare trying to return this thing I spent $60 to send back to Carlinkit it looks like package was rerouted back to me. WTH? So frustrating!!
damn it seems you have the worst experience with this in every different way
Old 07-13-20, 04:02 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by NikNikNik
damn it seems you have the worst experience with this in every different way
I have the worst of luck. Package came back to my house due to export issue now I'm out another $60. WTF?

Can someone with rotary **** confirm? Does your harness look like below? I think I will test it in my relative’s car she has rotary **** but not sure my harness will work. If it works I’ll just give it to her.

Last edited by dojoman; 07-13-20 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 07:13 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Is anyone else on Android getting this error when trying to connect wireless?

Old 07-13-20, 08:28 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Well I got wired android auto to work. Joystick movement is pretty ****ty like some mentioned, but I think it's something I can get used to. I'm not sure how wireless csrplay works but it makes you connect your wifi and Bluetooth to carplay which means I won't have any internet on my phone.
Old 07-13-20, 08:29 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Well I got wired android auto to work. Joystick movement is pretty ****ty like some mentioned, but I think it's something I can get used to. I'm not sure how wireless csrplay works but it makes you connect your wifi and Bluetooth to carplay which means I won't have any internet on my phone.
Old 07-13-20, 09:25 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by anamynous
When you say internet, I am assuming you mean your phone data. I still have access to the internet through phone data when connected to wireless CarPlay (WiFi + Bluetooth required). It wouldn’t make sense if it didn’t allow you to use data since apps like Music and Maps you’d most likely use with CarPlay rely on internet.
Old 07-13-20, 11:41 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pngo
When you say internet, I am assuming you mean your phone data. I still have access to the internet through phone data when connected to wireless CarPlay (WiFi + Bluetooth required). It wouldn’t make sense if it didn’t allow you to use data since apps like Music and Maps you’d most likely use with CarPlay rely on internet.
I'm not sure if I'm connecting to it the wrong way or what, but when I connect to the Carplay through Wifi, it says "Connected without internet". And then I can't access anything that requires internet on my phone, and when I use maps on the carplay, it says it's not connected to the internet.

Also, I'm having some weird issues. One of them is that when I'm clicking around on the carplay menu and apps, it's actually also clicking around on the Lexus application that is still running in the background. So eventually I will click on some weird settings, or change climate control, or start the OEM lexus navigation, etc.

Second, my music volume is significantly lower than my map's voice. It was fine at first, but all of a sudden the music volume went down and I can't get it back up.

If anyone has had any of these issues and knows a solution please let me know.
Old 07-14-20, 01:05 PM
wycy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do these kits come with trim removal tools? How easy/hard did you all find it to remove the trim pieces? Did you mostly follow the instructions in this video?
Same process for cars WITH nav?

Last edited by wycy; 07-14-20 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-14-20, 01:16 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wycy
Do these kits come with trim removal tools? How easy/hard did you all find it to remove the trim pieces? Did you mostly follow the instructions in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW3Sp1KRbhs Same process for cars WITH nav?
Mine did not come with trim removal tools. But I purchased some a while back on Amazon. Super cheap. And I followed the directions from the video and it was extremely helpful. Keep in mind some of the cables you see might not match what you have.
wycy (07-14-20)
Old 07-14-20, 01:19 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

So I figured out the issue with the joystick controlling both the carplay and the oem nav system. I contacted Road Top and they told me to try switching the display ports (pictured below). Even though I was pretty sure I had it plugged in correctly according to the labels they were adamant I try swapping them. And so far it seems to have fixed the issue. I will update again after using some more.

However I am still having the issue with my music app volumes being extremely low to the point of barely hearing it. But the voices from the nav apps like waze and Google maps are loud. Anyone know a solution?
Jazzrock (07-14-20)
Old 07-14-20, 01:51 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I have the worst of luck. Package came back to my house due to export issue now I'm out another $60. WTF?

Can someone with rotary **** confirm? Does your harness look like below? I think I will test it in my relative’s car she has rotary **** but not sure my harness will work. If it works I’ll just give it to her.

Nope, this looks a connector for headunit that has navigation. My rotary ****'s connectors dont look like this.and i think rotary **** head units are non-navi?

Originally Posted by wycy
Do these kits come with trim removal tools? How easy/hard did you all find it to remove the trim pieces? Did you mostly follow the instructions in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW3Sp1KRbhs Same process for cars WITH nav?
The box does not come with trim removal tools, you can follow the video to remove the trims and panels, but beatsonic contains two devices, so connections are abit different.. instructions given on the installation manual were quite clear, so no worries.

Last edited by zhifan1; 07-14-20 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-14-20, 07:14 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Initial Android Auto review from a Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ user:

1. Trying to navigate the buttons with the joystick is annoying. It's unpredictable where the cursor is going to go when you push the joystick in any direction. I feel like this is something I'll get used to the more I use it, so it doesn't bother me too much.
2. The phone will randomly not be able to connect to AA. The phone will tell you that it's connected to the car, but the car will stop launching AA. Restarting the car/phone does nothing. Only solution I've found so far is to unpair Wifi and Bluetooth (forget devices), and then repair them again.
3. The steering wheel controls work with the music, but it will not accept or hangup calls.
4. Phone call quality SUCKS so bad. I'm under the impression that this system uses the car's original mic and speaker, but incoming sound is horrible and the person on the other end can't even hear me at all if I'm driving. Even when I was sitting in a parking lot not moving my friend said he could hear himself from the other end of the call. I feel like there's a way to adjust this in the microphone settings but there's no explanation on what each option does. I will have to play around with it to test it out.
UPDATE: I got this one figured out. If you only connect bluetooth to the carplay then the sound is horrible, but if you connect bluetooth to both the carplay and your car then it sounds perfect. I'm glad I got this one sorted out.
UPDATE 2: Nope, still having the original issue. Connecting bluetooth to both the car and carplay does not resolve the call sound quality issue. Bummer.
5. The AA is very glitchy. For example, after picking up a phone call and hanging up, my joystick cursor disappeared. Once again, restarting the car/phone did nothing, and I had to unpair/repair everything.
6. Another way it's glitchy is that randomly both your music apps, Spotify and Play Music, will output music at an extremely low volume compared to other sounds such as the voice from maps. It fixed itself for no reason, but I'm worried it could happen again.
7. I think this one has to do with Android itself and not the carplay system, but I can't seem to connect wirelessly to the head unit's wifi without losing all internet connection. This is pointless because then you can't use any of the apps that require data.
8. I haven't messed around with airplay too much (I only connected it once), but when I did I noticed that mirroring your phone works, but the sound would continue coming from the phone.
9. Waze, Google Maps, Spotify all work great. I don't see any stretching issue on my 10.3 inch screen. They all look great.

UPDATE: Would I recommend this? For the price................. yes. If I can get wireless working and the phone call quality thing nailed down then definitely yes. Is it perfect? No, but it does the job and I love not having to look at my phone for the map. I will update again if anything else new comes up.

Last edited by anamynous; 07-15-20 at 11:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by anamynous:
babaijebu (07-15-20), zhifan1 (07-15-20)

Quick Reply: New wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto for oem 10.25 screen