IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto for oem 10.25 screen

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-20, 11:24 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ejisfun
I ended up getting $127 of the $245 back by doing an Aliexpress dispute. I'm still trying the chargeback on my credit card as well to see if I can get the full amount back. After reading your experience I'm not even going to try sending it back, it doesn't seem like it's worth $100 to go through the hassle of it.

I'm wondering if ML audio is the issue with my RX as well. I also got a VLite from Grom and had a similar issue where the display wouldn't work quite right. Currently I am exchanging it for the VLine VL2 to see if I have better luck with that.
I opened dispute for over a month I'm not hearing anything back. Every time I asked for refund they always dodged my question. *****!!
Good thing I didn't buy Grom Vlite I was also interested in new Android screen from Korean company, they said it works 100% but I'm skeptical they always say positive things to make a sale. I'll just wait from sideline from now.

I watched demo video/pic that got it working none of them have ML audio this is likely the culprit. ML audio has white color volume ****, no ML has silver shiny audio *****.

Last edited by dojoman; 07-17-20 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-17-20, 11:42 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Anyone has it working with either Road Top or Carlinkit with ML audio? Maybe they didn’t test with all the car variations. These guys made all boxes from same schematic design copy and paste. I know how these small companies in China operate just trying to make quick bucks.
That's the thing with these CN sellers... For now, I can vouch that it is working well for 7" rotary ****, non-ml, non-navi version. I today just updated the MCU software version to their latest, got the google link from roadtop. How's beatsonic's version working for ML headunit?

Old 07-17-20, 11:44 AM
JayCee0919
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Keep at it!

Originally Posted by dojoman
I opened dispute for over a month I'm not hearing anything back. Every time I asked for refund they always dodged my question. *****!!
Good thing I didn't buy Grom Vlite I was also interested in new Android screen from Korean company, they said it works 100% but I'm skeptical they always say positive things to make a sale. I'll just wait from sideline from now.

I watched demo video/pic that got it working none of them have ML audio this is likely the culprit. ML audio has white color volume ****, no ML has silver shiny audio *****.
Glad you got something back, man. Don't drop the dispute with the CC company - they are obligated to fight on your behalf. That's really crappy of the company that sold it.. RoadTop has been nothing short of amazing to deal with and even sent me a new unit on their dime and are paying for the return of the old unit...
Old 07-17-20, 11:54 AM
JayCee0919
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

For anyone who has been following:

I received a replacement unit from RoadTop since the previous one had me doing all sorts of button pushing to get it to work properly and, unfortunately, it works the same way. Not a deal breaker at all, though

Here's my process to get both OEM and CarPlay running:

1) Either plug in iPhone or let it connect via wireless (usually connects within 10 secs in plugged in and within 20 if wireless....it's quick though)
2) To get FULL OEM functionality (if I don't do this when I switch to OEM the screen is just black)
a) Press Menu for 3 secs
b) Press MAP (at this point the split screen is still black and I can hear the cursor moving but not see it moving)
c) Change Drive mode (I usually just twist to SPORT anyway) - at this point the split screen activates, the joystick works perfectly and everything is right in the world
3) Switch back to CarPlay by pressing Menu for 3 secs

This entire process takes less than 10 seconds (after the unit connects to CarPlay) and I've not had any issues with the unit itself

QUICK NOTE: I AM JAILBROKEN and CarPlay keeps reverting to iMessage no matter what I do so I just removed the jailbreak and everything is fine. This may get fixed in a future JB but it's not that big of a deal for me to keep the phone on stock iOS

RoadTop paid for shipping both ways and was great to work with

Any questions, just let me know

Cheers!
James
Old 07-17-20, 07:38 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not a real fan of Road Top's customer service yet. Every issue I have they want me to send them a video. If I tell them that the other person can't hear me well on a call and hear a major echo, they tell me to send a video. Like how? I told them I can't answer or hang up calls through my steering wheel controls and they also asked me to send a video. If I can't get this phone call quality issue resolved I'm going to consider returning my unit through Ebay. I really want to like this unit..... but it's difficult.
The following users liked this post:
TophersGRG (07-18-20)
Old 07-17-20, 08:28 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Yeah it’s a pain dealing with these guys. So my dispute with Aliexpress wasn’t successful they sided with seller that I don’t have enough evidence to show it wasn’t working. I showed them the video of joystick not working but now they asked how do they know if i have a wire unconnected? They’re treating me like I’m stealing from them. if it actually works why would I even trying to return. Eff these guys!! Now I hope my credit card company will chargeback. If not even they got my return package they can play dumb and say I never return it.
TophersGRG (07-18-20)
Old 07-18-20, 01:25 PM
TophersGRG
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

So I bought a roadtop unit last month. I got it installed and had the same issues everyone else has been saying in this thread. I think the biggest problem with this unit is the fact that everyone using the jog (IE the joystick for people with navigation) is that aftermarket support for these are horrible because Lexus designed a product that inherently is hard for people to make aftermarket systems for. This being said I think the new lexion product that has been recently released seems like a promising upgrade from these carplay boxes. In the future, I am just going to go for an upgraded screen with carplay built into the touchscreen. This is because any product at the moment won't be able to fully utilize the jog controls from the looks of it. I will probably wait a year or so until prices reach around 500-600 for the aftermarket screen units. However again I am super disappointed with the road top unit performance and just shipped it back yesterday. Crossing my fingers I have no further issues with the refund process.
Jazzrock (07-18-20)
Old 07-18-20, 01:48 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TophersGRG
So I bought a roadtop unit last month. I got it installed and had the same issues everyone else has been saying in this thread. I think the biggest problem with this unit is the fact that everyone using the jog (IE the joystick for people with navigation) is that aftermarket support for these are horrible because Lexus designed a product that inherently is hard for people to make aftermarket systems for. This being said I think the new lexion product that has been recently released seems like a promising upgrade from these carplay boxes. In the future, I am just going to go for an upgraded screen with carplay built into the touchscreen. This is because any product at the moment won't be able to fully utilize the jog controls from the looks of it. I will probably wait a year or so until prices reach around 500-600 for the aftermarket screen units. However again I am super disappointed with the road top unit performance and just shipped it back yesterday. Crossing my fingers I have no further issues with the refund process.
Did you ship it back to Amazon or China? Looks like I’m officially effed because I can’t return this piece of crap post office custom rejected my package twice. Now I have no way to ship this thing back already cost me $100 in shipping.
Old 07-18-20, 01:58 PM
TophersGRG
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I used aliexpress and it had a 15-day free return policy. I was confused because it seemed as though it was shipped from china however it arrived in like 7 days. The stranger part is the return label they provided for me was addressed to new jersey. I have a feeling they have a US-based warehouse for these products and that's why it was returned domestically but its only speculation. I have a USPS receipt and I did not have to pay for it so I should have no issue getting a refund or doing a chargeback as long as there are no other issues with it.
Old 07-18-20, 02:28 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TophersGRG
I used aliexpress and it had a 15-day free return policy. I was confused because it seemed as though it was shipped from china however it arrived in like 7 days. The stranger part is the return label they provided for me was addressed to new jersey. I have a feeling they have a US-based warehouse for these products and that's why it was returned domestically but its only speculation. I have a USPS receipt and I did not have to pay for it so I should have no issue getting a refund or doing a chargeback as long as there are no other issues with it.
I must be the only one getting screwed with return shipping and completely unusable product in this case I can’t even return.
Old 07-18-20, 04:34 PM
kobrah
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Other than the ground loop issue with the audio which I’m working with them but have an idea how to fix. The road top has been pretty good for a NON OEM solution.

Old 07-19-20, 07:05 PM
dappy9
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Plugged in everything, tried turning on with and without the screen power cable and it's giving me a blank screen . Do you guys think it's a broken unit? Attempted to unplug-and plug everything back in but no dice
2016 Lexus IS 300 AWD with Joystick controls.
Old 07-19-20, 08:11 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dappy9
Plugged in everything, tried turning on with and without the screen power cable and it's giving me a blank screen . Do you guys think it's a broken unit? Attempted to unplug-and plug everything back in but no dice
2016 Lexus IS 300 AWD with Joystick controls.
How about oem screen? When you powered up the car Lexus logo start up didn’t come on?
Old 07-19-20, 08:19 PM
dappy9
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just tried OEM screen cables and still didn't work. Seems like i might have broken something in the process.. hope it doesnt cost me $$$ to fix. Worked perfectly fine right before. I ran codes and got a CAN communication error which is the big cable that plugs in to the head unit right? I also tried to reset my battery so everything reset but still didn't work.
Old 07-19-20, 09:42 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dappy9
Just tried OEM screen cables and still didn't work. Seems like i might have broken something in the process.. hope it doesnt cost me $$$ to fix. Worked perfectly fine right before. I ran codes and got a CAN communication error which is the big cable that plugs in to the head unit right? I also tried to reset my battery so everything reset but still didn't work.
You still got blank screen even after unplugging CarPlay cables back to oem? Yes big connector with lock is CAN cable but make sure blue connector to screen is hooked up correctly.

Quick Reply: New wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto for oem 10.25 screen