IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto for oem 10.25 screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-20, 03:05 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by yousufmian
Finally ordered my kit. Will update once I receive and install! Anyone know if the steering wheel controls work? (to change the song, volume for the carplay unit)

Also I plan to avoid dropping my glovebox, but where are you guys routing the USB on the unit (Incase you want wired carplay)
Steering control should work for changing tracks and volume, but you may not see volume change graphic on the screen that's how it is for Beatsonic unit.

I plan to put the USB wire inside center armrest box in case for wired Carplay and future FW update of the unit, I'm pretty sure we need to update everytime Apple updates Carplay function on iPhone with big update.
Old 06-18-20, 03:06 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NikNikNik
Yea the steering wheel controls work
Does volume level graphic show up on the screen?
Old 06-18-20, 05:00 PM
kobrah
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdamx594
I am not familiar with the road top unit, but the sound is identical to the factory inputs when you use the carlinkit unit. I had the same concerns because the beatsonic uses an rca to 3.5mm input via the factory aux input. That leads to crappy sound. The carlinkit gets rid of all of that. You do set the factory stereo to aux before switching to CarPlay mode, but the input itself is through the factory canbus input so the audio is equivalent to streaming music over the factory usb. The other advantage is the carlinkit does not require special wiring for the backup cam. The directions are confusing because they include a wiring harness for rca/backup cam, but that is only used for aftermarket cameras, for your application you don’t need to connect that harness to the control box. I would recommend using this seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/183870538947

When you purchase, included model year, make, model, and “****” (or whatever controller you have). He was very responsive to all my questions.

​​​​​​​hey

does these type of retrofits allow access to XM radio? Also, do they use the OEM microphone ?

Thanks !
Old 06-18-20, 05:26 PM
kobrah
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NikNikNik
This also works with any other screen not just the 10.25 one

I’m making this new thread for the new device that gets you wireless CarPlay and android auto for the OEM 10.25 inch screen, everything works as it should including steering wheel controls and going from reverse cam to CarPlay automatically. Audio sound the same as Bluetooth only gripe I have with this unit is you have to hold menu for 3 secs every time you turn on your car.

you can find it on amazon or Ali express, I went with amazon since it’s super easy to return items if they don’t work
(you have to find the unit that works with your controller - mine was the one with remote touch -
google 2018 Lexus wireless CarPlay or something like that

Did this unit require any RCA/3.5mm for audio or is it all through the CAN cable?

Old 06-18-20, 05:38 PM
Javan96
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kobrah
Did this unit require any RCA/3.5mm for audio or is it all through the CAN cable?
It doesn't require RCA/3.5mm for audio it's all runtrun the CAN cable sound is exactly like factory.
Old 06-18-20, 06:32 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Steering control should work for changing tracks and volume, but you may not see volume change graphic on the screen that's how it is for Beatsonic unit.

I plan to put the USB wire inside center armrest box in case for wired Carplay and future FW update of the unit, I'm pretty sure we need to update every time Apple updates Carplay function on iPhone with big update.
Pardon my ignorance, what exactly is the USB wire for? Wouldn't plugging the phone into the USB under the armrest make it connected? If the USB wire from
the unit is plugged into the USB under the armrest, that leaves one input for the phone. I already have one USB used for my 32 gig flash drive. Please
explain. Thanks for your indulgence!!!!
Old 06-18-20, 06:46 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
Pardon my ignorance, what exactly is the USB wire for? Wouldn't plugging the phone into the USB under the armrest make it connected? If the USB wire from
the unit is plugged into the USB under the armrest, that leaves one input for the phone. I already have one USB used for my 32 gig flash drive. Please
explain. Thanks for your indulgence!!!!
I just received the unit. USB connector is for wired CarPlay it does not use existing port in the car. It’s actually a good thing because now you have two ports. You can also plug your music usb drive into new port, I assumed now you can browse through this systems menu to play music but only downside is Lexus system may not see your drive once you exit out from CarPlay menu. I’m not so sure maybe someone already installed it can explain.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (06-18-20)
Old 06-18-20, 06:51 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Can someone explain do I need to do anything with these connectors black connectors, they are already connected but not sure these labels are for installation instructions? It says “old car no split display” and “new car split display”.

And where is a good place to stick this wireless antenna with 3M sticker and RF connector at end? I assumed it’s for wireless Carplay?

Old 06-18-20, 07:25 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 159 Posts

I just received the unit. USB connector is for wired CarPlay it does not use existing port in the car. It’s actually a good thing because now you have two ports. You can also plug your music usb drive into new port, I assumed now you can browse through this systems menu to play music but only downside is Lexus system may not see your drive once you exit out from CarPlay menu. I’m not so sure maybe someone already installed it can explain.
So the USB connector is a third USB input? Do you have to buy an extender of some kind as someone said and run it to where the other USB ports are?
Why would I want to plug my flash drive into this new port? It has nothing to do with Carplay.
Old 06-18-20, 07:42 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
So the USB connector is a third USB input? Do you have to buy an extender of some kind as someone said and run it to where the other USB ports are?
Why would I want to plug my flash drive into this new port? It has nothing to do with Carplay.
I was the one that said to run the USB in center armrest otherwise you'd have to cut a hole in glovebox.

You don't have to plug your flash drive into new port but depends on how you want to use because if you have it plugged in Lexus default port now you can't play music from your flash drive in Carplay. Vice versa.
Jazzrock (06-18-20)
Old 06-18-20, 07:50 PM
yousufmian
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Can someone explain do I need to do anything with these connectors black connectors, they are already connected but not sure these labels are for installation instructions? It says “old car no split display” and “new car split display”.

And where is a good place to stick this wireless antenna with 3M sticker and RF connector at end? I assumed it’s for wireless Carplay?

I just watched this video of the carlinkit kit installed in a LS . Were assuming it's the same as Road top . Doesn't show a spot to put the atnenna but he also didn't play around with any of the black connectors you mentioned. Maybe leave as is. Hopefully this video is also helpful along with the beatsonic ones
Jazzrock (06-18-20)
Old 06-18-20, 07:56 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yousufmian
https://youtu.be/xK6-ZYjXww0

I just watched this video of the carlinkit kit installed in a LS . Were assuming it's the same as Road top . Doesn't show a spot to put the atnenna but he also didn't play around with any of the black connectors you mentioned. Maybe leave as is. Hopefully this video is also helpful along with the beatsonic ones
Thanks I need to study all the install videos before I start to take apart the trims.
Old 06-18-20, 08:48 PM
Philionair
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Whoa this is awesome, I've always been interested in a way to get CarPlay on my 2017 IS. How is is working out for you guys? any videos of the full functionality?
Old 06-18-20, 09:00 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Looks like you do need to configured split or no split display.

Jazzrock (06-18-20)
Old 06-18-20, 09:26 PM
Javan96
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Philionair
Whoa this is awesome, I've always been interested in a way to get CarPlay on my 2017 IS. How is is working out for you guys? any videos of the full functionality?
It works great.

Jazzrock (06-18-20)

Quick Reply: New wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto for oem 10.25 screen