How does the AWD system work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 05:58 PM
BYRON3IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the AWD system work?

Hello, its my first post here.

I recently acquired my Canadian 2017 IS350 F-Sport, which means the only drive train option is AWD, and I've heard a couple different explanations about how the AWD system works. I've heard that it is RWD bias, sending 70 to the rear and 30 to the front with up to 50/50, or FWD bias with the same power splits. So how does the AWD system really work in the 2017 IS350?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-20, 07:32 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by BYRON3IS
Hello, its my first post here.

I recently acquired my Canadian 2017 IS350 F-Sport, which means the only drive train option is AWD, and I've heard a couple different explanations about how the AWD system works. I've heard that it is RWD bias, sending 70 to the rear and 30 to the front with up to 50/50, or FWD bias with the same power splits. So how does the AWD system really work in the 2017 IS350?

Thanks!
Its a rear biased AWD system. Roughly 70% of power goes to the rear and it can split power 50/50 when detecting slippage.

Heres some more info quoted from a thread on here...

“Full-Time All-Wheel Drive
This traction-enhancing system distributes power to the front and rear axles during normal driving, and resists sending power to an axle that encounters a low-grip surface.
• A planetary-type center differential and chain drive provide robust, reliable power transfer.
• A wet clutch helps keep an axle from spinning if the front or rear tires encounter slick pavement.
• The clutch engages smoothly and avoids binding when making tight turns.
• Traction control is specially tuned to work in concert with the all-wheel-drive system.

• A robust differential continually delivers power to the front and rear axles.
• The planetary gear design eliminates binding when making sharp turns.
• The wet-clutch limited-slip device helps to keep wheels from spinning on very slippery surfaces.
• Electronic controls help the system respond quickly to changing road and driving conditions

VDIM with Sport Mode:
• One of the high-performance features included on IS 250 and IS 350 F SPORT sedans.
• When VDIM Sport Mode is selected, the VSC and TRAC programming switch to a high-performance mode that raises the threshold at which the systems intervene.
• VDIM Sport Mode allows the driver to accelerate, corner and, in some cases brake more aggressively, without activating VSC.
• VDIM Sport Mode allows the driver to accelerate from a corner or pull away from a dead stop with TRAC operating in A-LSD mode—simulating a limited-slip differential.
• Each time the vehicle is started, VDIM defaults to normal mode”
The following 2 users liked this post by NickCaesar:
BYRON3IS (06-16-20), Coconut (09-12-22)
Old 09-10-22, 12:52 PM
jlc45
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for posting. I know this is not a recent thread, but I just got my car so I'm interested in how the AWD system works.
The info posted above is probably accurate but it's a bit vague. I'm interested in more detail. I'm looking for a more thorough description of the powerflow from the engine to the wheels. Can anyone refer me to a source with diagrams etc.? Thanks very much. Jim
Old Today, 05:39 PM
george42
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technical Overview

Originally Posted by jlc45
Thanks for posting. I know this is not a recent thread, but I just got my car so I'm interested in how the AWD system works.
The info posted above is probably accurate but it's a bit vague. I'm interested in more detail. I'm looking for a more thorough description of the powerflow from the engine to the wheels. Can anyone refer me to a source with diagrams etc.? Thanks very much. Jim
I know I might be a tad late, but hopefully this is helpful too you.

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/11..._ifour_eng.htm