IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Ran over dead deer, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 01:26 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Ran over dead deer, what to look for?

It was dark, literally the deer was outside my neighborhood in the middle of the street. I was sitting in my car at an angle where it wasn't visible at all and I went over it. Felt like hitting a pot hole. Blood smeared all on the left side of my car, under too.. some hairs underneath car.. everything seems fine though, I feel like I've hit potholes harder. No vibrations in steering wheel, car driving relatively straight. I'll post pics tmrw but you guys think I am good? lol
Old 06-17-20, 04:28 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,690 Likes on 1,785 Posts

I am sorry to hear about your incident. Personally, I would have an alignment check, especially if your tires are relatively new and have good thread depth left on them to avoid running them. If you have access to a lift/hoist, I would have it checked for damage underneath as it appears there is no other visible damage on the outside of the car. I am surprised you didn't damage any part of the front as the car is relatively low compared to the animal (thickness even lying down)...

Last edited by wthrman2; 06-17-20 at 04:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
swaangin (06-18-20)
Old 06-18-20, 11:00 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by wthrman2
I am sorry to hear about your incident. Personally, I would have an alignment check, especially if your tires are relatively new and have good thread depth left on them to avoid running them. If you have access to a lift/hoist, I would have it checked for damage underneath as it appears there is no other visible damage on the outside of the car. I am surprised you didn't damage any part of the front as the car is relatively low compared to the animal (thickness even lying down)...
Yeah going for an alignment. I did check under, everything seems fine. I think I hit it on an angle so the front bumper didn't hit the deer but the front tire did and everything after, I think I saw some hairs in the middle of the side skirt area under the car but besides that everything seemed to be in order. I think I hit it going 15-20 mph. This car is made so well. I've done so much stupid **** in it and it always takes it like a tank.
Old 06-20-20, 03:18 AM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

doesn't sound big enough Damage for a Insurance claim but for FYI:

if you dont got some garbage-cut rate-too good to be true Car Insurance....call them right away or ASAP

what happened to me once, there were 3 young deer driving to my dad's store one day and by the time i looked up...slammed on the brakes but barely tapped one in the rear and ended up striking it in the rear

luckily no one was hurt because what freaked me out was his/her trajectory from hitting my front bumper. caused it to cross into oncoming traffic!

i pulled over and called State Farm right away....never hit a deer before but they took care of EVERYTHING and i didn't even know they cover Road Kill incidents

just remember, your Deductible and find best Body Shop that does quality work and/or start gathering any/all Receipts

sounds like you got lucky but eyeballing it isn't the course of action
swaangin (06-25-20)
Old 06-21-20, 03:33 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by GR3Y5H3ART
doesn't sound big enough Damage for a Insurance claim but for FYI:

if you dont got some garbage-cut rate-too good to be true Car Insurance....call them right away or ASAP

what happened to me once, there were 3 young deer driving to my dad's store one day and by the time i looked up...slammed on the brakes but barely tapped one in the rear and ended up striking it in the rear

luckily no one was hurt because what freaked me out was his/her trajectory from hitting my front bumper. caused it to cross into oncoming traffic!

i pulled over and called State Farm right away....never hit a deer before but they took care of EVERYTHING and i didn't even know they cover Road Kill incidents

just remember, your Deductible and find best Body Shop that does quality work and/or start gathering any/all Receipts

sounds like you got lucky but eyeballing it isn't the course of action
Thanks for the heads up. I think my deductible is around $800 so probably not worth it for me. I'll get the alignment and post it when I do haha. Car was driving fine and there was absolutely no damage. I was going to post pics but there was nothing to post after I washed the blood off
Old 06-22-20, 12:37 PM
TLeexus
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

i always do a hard brake test and a slalom type weave back and forth test whenever i hit a pothole or curb. its not the most sophisticated, but it can be a quick litmus.
swaangin (06-25-20)