cixthsense
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "New" 2021 Lexus IS - Disappointing

Old 06-20-20, 10:03 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

I find it hilarious that you give people a youtube plateform and they feel they are car experts. I mean I can understand why some people are disappointed that Lexus didn't announce a new power plat (YET) and are jumping on the TLX yet the Type S is not out yet. People measure their "satisfaction" on car by different measure so to some, they will be happy with the redesign. I have said it before, I am not a fan of turbo and I am not one needing 400hp in my vehicles so for me, I am happy they haven't forced people to have turbos only in their IS. We all know Lexus is extremely tight lipped on their plans so because they haven't done what Acura did, by announcing their Type S one year in advance, doesn't mean their will not be more upgrades in the future. Look at the NSX, that car was teased like 5 years before it came out to a point where people felt the car was old when it came out.

The more I watch the videos of the IS in motions or in reviews, the more I like it. The color of the car being shown is not the most flattering either so I am expecting it will be even better in some different colors. They have given people a touch screen which people wanted, and a better ML system by increasing the wattage by over 1000W so that could fix some of the complaints people had about the current system.

The person doing the review in teh video talk about the rather mild evolution of the design....The car is wider, lower, has bigger wheels, different sheet metal all together and claims he never liked the grill before so some will not like it after either, that is the corporate grill of the brand. I am not saying it is for everyone but if you never liked the spindle grill before, why would it be different now? What I find funny as well is that no one has driven the new IS so before saying it is disappointing might be premature. What if Lexus releases a surprise in a year from now? What will people say then? At least the IS is based on a RWD plateform, not something Acura/Audi can say they have....Lexus is reliable as heck, something BMW and Mercedes can't say they have. Imagine if women would chose only their partners by the size of their "tool" or bank account?! It is nice that most will look at the complete picture as many of us would be single (lol)

No car is perfect....we all have to make compromise so in the end, the people that want a car that, in my opinion, looks stunning, is reliable as hell, has more than adequate power for 90% of the people, then this will be a great car, to others, there are other options which may tickle your power hunger at other expenses....and if you want a V-8 and still stick with Lexus, there is also the RCF or the LC...and maybe something more powerful in the IS within a year or so.

I have been an Acura guy from 2006 to 2015 (1 ILX, 2 TSX, 1 TL, 1 RDX), then switched to Lexus (2 IS350 and 1 RC350) in 2015 and will be adding this one to my fleet next year. As much as I enjoyed my Acura when I had them, they are not as reliable as they once were....

Sorry for the long rant/post

The following 3 users liked this post by wthrman2:
LaZeR (06-20-20), Rhydg1 (06-21-20), Vincent410 (06-21-20)
Old 06-20-20, 06:21 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I like the updated IS as well. The styling is a good looking, bold and modern evolution of the current design. I like the updates that were made to improve the car’s fun to drive quotient. The changes they made - stiffer chassis, reduced unstrung weight and upgraded shocks - should net a better handling and more responsive car while still maintaining the excellent ride of the IS with the adaptive dampers. To me the power of the V6 is more than enough. It was enough in the 3rd generation IS F Sport I owned and the current GS F Sport I currently own. I previously owned a 227 hp//214 ft-lbs BMW 330i which is the most fun to drive car I have ever owned. Every time I took my car in for service BMW provided later models as loaners (Including 330I and 335i) and I always couldn’t wait to get back into my car. Yes they were much more powerful cars but were not nearly as fun to drive as my car. I am not a fan of turbo charged engines and find the linear response of a normally aspirated engine much more satisfying. The V8 in the F cars is brilliant and I would love to see Lexus bring it back in an IS F version. In summary, I am glad that Lexus decided to stay in this market segment. They didn’t not have to because the IS will not be a money maker for them but if they deliver on their design goals will help to build their image as a carmaker that can build fun to drive cars to compete with the Germans. Well done Lexus. I can’t wait to take it for a test drive.
The following 3 users liked this post by Savjam:
GR3Y5H3ART (06-21-20), LaZeR (06-20-20), wthrman2 (06-21-20)
Old 06-21-20, 12:35 AM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

50/50 for now...
Old 06-21-20, 02:53 AM
Sculler75
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cannot argue too much with the points that the fella makes in the video. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but until the car is released and is seen in person and driven we should take everything with a grain of salt. Remember there is a negative bias toward Lexus in this class of vehicle by 90% of reviewers.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (06-21-20)
Old 06-21-20, 05:51 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

The interior reminds him of a Prius? Has he ever sat in a Prius? Honestly, this just sounds like a nobody with horrible delivery and a hater with nothing interesting to say. Why are we posting some loser's review with 300 subscribers? I mean, at least put up an actual reputable reviewer, who serves up the hate with at least a modicum of objectivity and presentation.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (06-21-20)
Old 06-21-20, 07:30 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
The interior reminds him of a Prius? Has he ever sat in a Prius? Honestly, this just sounds like a nobody with horrible delivery and a hater with nothing interesting to say. Why are we posting some loser's review with 300 subscribers? I mean, at least put up an actual reputable reviewer, who serves up the hate with at least a modicum of objectivity and presentation.
A lot of people say the IS's interior looks "dated" or "cheap" until they actually sit in one. For whatever reason, the IS's interior doesn't work well in photos. But, having been in and/or driven in the C-class (in particular, a C450 AMG), several 3-series and 4-series (F30 generation), 2-series, Kia Stinger, Jaguar XF (yes, the midsizer, not the small XE), Porsche Macan, and Audi RS3, I would say the IS easily competes with those. In fact, the seats are probably still my favorite. The dash material is plastic but it feels solid and slightly squishy. The door and center armrests have soft NuLuxe on them that feels great, and the gauge cluster looks like nothing any other brand could make. Oh, and a bonus is that the IS has a nicely soft headliner - as do most Lexus products. The BMWs on the other hand, have a headliner that is no nicer than the one used in my Volkswagen, So I've always felt that criticisms of the looks and materials of the IS's interior are a sign of an armchair car critic who doesn't really have firsthand experience with the car.
Old 06-21-20, 08:07 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

We’ve got a huge thread for this topic, no need for a second one

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...h-threads.html