IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Odor Emitting when AC is on

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-20, 09:39 AM
Zoomzoom1
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Odor Emitting when AC is on

16’ 3IS, bought CPO at 21K Mileage a couple months back..

I have recently noticed that when I turn on my AC, there would be a horrible odor blowing out of the vents. The smell can be described as a sour/wet mold?

I always had car fresheners attached to the vents and never noticed the smell until recently now that I have run out of the air fresheners.

any idea?
Old 06-24-20, 10:09 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Before turning off my car, when the AC had been running, I turn off my AC and let the dry air blow through the vents for a couple minutes. I might do this like when I get off the freeway a few mints before I'm home.

That musty smell is from all the moisture left sitting in your air ducts after you turn your car off.

I use this stuff to be rid of the smell, works great. Smells great.
https://www.autozone.com/a-c-chargin...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

The following users liked this post:
chicatemi (10-07-20)
Old 06-24-20, 10:45 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome to the club lol.. I also use what Homer350 suggested, smell goes away for about 2 - 4 weeks then i have to re-apply it. Living in Texas, turning AC off for couple of mins doesn't even come to my mind lol.
Old 06-24-20, 10:51 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 330 Likes on 258 Posts

When I had the '16 4GS CPO, it had the same bad ordor. I thought it smelled like cat pee.

I tried the Armour All Fresh FX spraying the intake vents and AC vents inside and it was better.

It was 2 cans used up.

Last edited by websurfer; 06-24-20 at 02:48 PM.
chicatemi (10-07-20)
Old 06-24-20, 01:06 PM
AZMacaroni
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have started spraying air freshener on my cabin filter for the same reason. Smelled like old musty towels that got left in the washer. Doesn't help that I live in AZ and have a black car either so my AC is on 99% of the time the car is running.
Old 06-24-20, 02:35 PM
Alonzo3000
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lysol also works well
Old 06-24-20, 03:10 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I just cycle periodically between recirculate and fresh air, keeps the stench away majority of the time.

I used to have it bad before I realized running on recirculate all the time was actually causing the problem.
Jazzrock (06-24-20)
Old 06-24-20, 03:20 PM
websurfer
Racer

FYI, I tried Lysol and also spent over $250 on the dealer AC refresher service to clean the AC Vents. It doesn't work and it's money wasted.
Old 06-24-20, 05:13 PM
Zoomzoom1
Driver

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Before turning off my car, when the AC had been running, I turn off my AC and let the dry air blow through the vents for a couple minutes. I might do this like when I get off the freeway a few mints before I'm home.

That musty smell is from all the moisture left sitting in your air ducts after you turn your car off.

I use this stuff to be rid of the smell, works great. Smells great.
https://www.autozone.com/a-c-chargin...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I will most likely give this as a try thanks
Old 06-24-20, 05:15 PM
Zoomzoom1
Driver

Originally Posted by websurfer
FYI, I tried Lysol and also spent over $250 on the dealer AC refresher service to clean the AC Vents. It doesn't work and it's money wasted.
of course the dealerships are always scamming. I will be sure not to go to the dealers for this.
Old 06-24-20, 06:50 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Pro Tip: Do not run with Recirc on with the A/C.

It's funny how the cars nowadays and even back then would automatically turn that setting on when you switch to A/C. Let the fresh air more get selected when you also turn on your A/C.
Jazzrock (06-24-20)
Old 06-24-20, 09:41 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by tofuprod

It's funny how the cars nowadays and even back then would automatically turn that setting on when you switch to A/C. Let the fresh air more get selected when you also turn on your A/C.
The dealer advisor told me the same thing.
Old 06-25-20, 04:33 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuprod

Interested into what this reasoning is? I've never heard that before.

Also, my IS300 always "defaults" to recirc when I turn it on, not sure why. I always switch it to "fresh" air once it's on.
Old 06-25-20, 05:27 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by bgross88
Interested into what this reasoning is? I've never heard that before.

Also, my IS300 always "defaults" to recirc when I turn it on, not sure why. I always switch it to "fresh" air once it's on.
Cold air mixed with hot air with the fan off (after you turn off the car) means warm air and moisture in the system. This leads to funky stuff growing (mold, etc) that gives off those smells. If you turn off the A/C but leave the fan on with fresh air mode on a few minutes before getting home and just let hot/warm outside air pump in, you'll have a better chance of drying the system before turning off the car and so stuff is less likely to grow. That's the simple explanation more or less.
Old 06-25-20, 05:47 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Cold air mixed with hot air with the fan off (after you turn off the car) means warm air and moisture in the system. This leads to funky stuff growing (mold, etc) that gives off those smells. If you turn off the A/C but leave the fan on with fresh air mode on a few minutes before getting home and just let hot/warm outside air pump in, you'll have a better chance of drying the system before turning off the car and so stuff is less likely to grow. That's the simple explanation more or less.
I get that aspect...I always turn my AC for the last mile or so as well, sorry I wasn't more clear.

I was referring to the comment that the dealer said to not run the AC with recirc on. The way the comment was worded, I assumed the dealer meant to never run the A/C in recirc mode.

Probably shouldn't post before I've had coffee.....

Quick Reply: Odor Emitting when AC is on