IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Display screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-20, 08:16 AM
brandonf1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Display screen

I have 2016 Lexus IS 200t and the display screen keeps rebooting every 10 seconds.. any solution??
Old 06-25-20, 05:55 PM
GregReiner
Driver School Candidate

Default IS350 AWD - 2 min reboot

I updated Enform yesterday. System rebooted 10 times on way to Greenville Lexus. (SC).
Sitting in my car, waiting to pull in, service tech tells me it’s a $2300 hard drive failure.
I asked for more help.
Old 06-25-20, 07:27 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

You can try disconnecting the battery for at least 10 minutes.
One of two things will happen...the issue will stop...or the screen will be blank permanently.

This is a more common issue on the 2014's...not really a common thing for 2016.
The following users liked this post:
GregReiner (06-26-20)
Old 07-02-20, 10:45 AM
Gcparas
Driver School Candidate

Any at home solution to the problem? I just started experiencing this today on my 2014 IS250 -_-
Old 07-02-20, 11:40 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gcparas
Any at home solution to the problem? I just started experiencing this today on my 2014 IS250 -_-
Disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes.
If that doesn't work, disconnect it again for 10 minutes, but remove the micro SD card from the slot in front the shifter. After reconnecting the battery, start the vehicle...when the display asks to insert the micro SD card, then insert it.
If that fails, you need a new radio head unit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
Gcparas (07-02-20), ShrinkDoc (07-24-20)
Old 07-02-20, 11:54 AM
Gcparas
Driver School Candidate

I’ve read other threads that mention to just disconnect the negative terminal. Does this matter? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes.
If that doesn't work, disconnect it again for 10 minutes, but remove the micro SD card from the slot in front the shifter. After reconnecting the battery, start the vehicle...when the display asks to insert the micro SD card, then insert it.
If that fails, you need a new radio head unit.
Old 07-02-20, 12:05 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I’ve read other threads that mention to just disconnect the negative terminal. Does this matter? Thanks!
The negative terminal is just fine...I probably should have specified that.
Old 07-02-20, 12:24 PM
Gcparas
Driver School Candidate

thank you! I will try this tonight when i get home. Hopefully it works, Lexus quoted me at $180 to just diagnose the problem 🤦🏽
Old 07-02-20, 12:35 PM
Gcparas
Driver School Candidate

today after driving it around for 10-15 minutes, the radio/navigation started working again. But then once i turned off/on the car, it went back to the rebooting Lexus Enform screen. Hopefully it working again after driving 10-15 minutes is a good sign. Will try disconnecting the battery today

Old 07-06-20, 02:02 PM
chowd3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, this is interesting.

My Enform/Nav did an update when I was driving to work 2 weeks ago. Ever since, the system reboots every minute or so; over and over and over.

I have disconnected the battery a few times now...….waiting at least 30 min, sometimes 2 hours before reconnecting...…..problem still exists.
I have taken out the audio/head unit fuse out of the fuse box, waited 15 min....problem still exists.

What's really interesting is that it happened right after the system downloaded an update.
Even more interesting that it has occurred to me, Brandonf1, GregReiner and GCparas; AND that this issue happened in 2016, right after an Enform/entertainment system update that Lexus recognized and had to fix with a new download.

I am going to try to see what my local dealership says. Have you guys been to the dealership service department yet?

-chowd3r
Old 07-08-20, 11:09 AM
Gcparas
Driver School Candidate

Interesting! I tried everything you mentioned below and still had the issue. -_-

My car is currently at the dealership to diagnose the problem. My issue started happening two weeks ago as well while i was driving the car, and the system has been rebooting ever since. I’ll keep you updated on what the dealership says. They mentioned they would try updating navigation system to see if that works. Have yet to hear back from the dealership.

Originally Posted by chowd3r

My Enform/Nav did an update when I was driving to work 2 weeks ago. Ever since, the system reboots every minute or so; over and over and over.

I have disconnected the battery a few times now...….waiting at least 30 min, sometimes 2 hours before reconnecting...…..problem still exists.
I have taken out the audio/head unit fuse out of the fuse box, waited 15 min....problem still exists.

What's really interesting is that it happened right after the system downloaded an update.
Even more interesting that it has occurred to me, Brandonf1, GregReiner and GCparas; AND that this issue happened in 2016, right after an Enform/entertainment system update that Lexus recognized and had to fix with a new download.

I am going to try to see what my local dealership says. Have you guys been to the dealership service department yet?

-chowd3r
Old 07-09-20, 09:16 AM
Gcparas
Driver School Candidate

I got back the diagnostic report from the dealership and this is what they stated,

“RAN HEALTH CHECK. NO CURRENT
TROUBLE CODES ARE PRESENT. CHECKED ALL FUSES, THEY ARE GOOD.
REMOVED RADIO AND NAV UNIT, CHECKED WIRE HARNESS AND
INSPECTED ALL CONNECTORS THEY ARE GOOD. WHEN AMPLIFIER WAS
RE-CONNECTED, FOUND AMPLIFIER PRODUCING BURNING SMELL.
RECOMMENDING REPLACING AMPLIFIER.”

Overall, it’s a $600 fix. Most likely will have the dealership replace the amplifier.

Originally Posted by chowd3r

-chowd3r
Old 07-09-20, 10:20 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I got back the diagnostic report from the dealership and this is what they stated,

“RAN HEALTH CHECK. NO CURRENT
TROUBLE CODES ARE PRESENT. CHECKED ALL FUSES, THEY ARE GOOD.
REMOVED RADIO AND NAV UNIT, CHECKED WIRE HARNESS AND
INSPECTED ALL CONNECTORS THEY ARE GOOD. WHEN AMPLIFIER WAS
RE-CONNECTED, FOUND AMPLIFIER PRODUCING BURNING SMELL.
RECOMMENDING REPLACING AMPLIFIER.”

Overall, it’s a $600 fix. Most likely will have the dealership replace the amplifier.
Not disputing the dealer diagnosis...but the Amp is their for sound only.
On a perfectly functioning vehicle, if you removed the Amp completely, the radio head unit/nav would function exactly the same, but you would have no sound.
So...thinking about this in a rebooting scenario, what would replacing the Amp do? Besides nothing.
If it has a burning smell, then so be it...I'm not there to smell it. But after they replace the Amp and it's still rebooting, now what?

I mean they could then say they replaced the Amp but it didn't fix the issue, and they suspect the radio head unit got damaged by the Amp.
Then they'll recommend a head unit ($2000)...which is likely the issue the entire time if the rebooting can't be stopped. I'm not convinced the head unit is physically defective necessarily, but it's obviously stuck in a boot loop.
Old 07-10-20, 09:51 AM
Gcparas
Driver School Candidate

I talked to the dealership and they stated the maintenance foreman is very certain this would fix the issue since he’s seen it in other Lexus vehicles. I’m stuck on what to do. Has anybody heard back from their dealership?

Not disputing the dealer diagnosis...but the Amp is their for sound only.
On a perfectly functioning vehicle, if you removed the Amp completely, the radio head unit/nav would function exactly the same, but you would have no sound.
So...thinking about this in a rebooting scenario, what would replacing the Amp do? Besides nothing.
If it has a burning smell, then so be it...I'm not there to smell it. But after they replace the Amp and it's still rebooting, now what?

I mean they could then say they replaced the Amp but it didn't fix the issue, and they suspect the radio head unit got damaged by the Amp.
Then they'll recommend a head unit ($2000)...which is likely the issue the entire time if the rebooting can't be stopped. I'm not convinced the head unit is physically defective necessarily, but it's obviously stuck in a boot loop.
Old 07-11-20, 10:02 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I talked to the dealership and they stated the maintenance foreman is very certain this would fix the issue since he’s seen it in other Lexus vehicles. I’m stuck on what to do. Has anybody heard back from their dealership?
I think the key there is "other Lexus vehicles"...if this had seen the issue with the IS, then he would have seen the issue on "other IS's".

If you really want to see the proof for yourself...find the Amp in the lower right floor of the trunk and disconnect all the connectors going to it.
Start the vehicle...if the Navi stops rebooting, then I'm wrong and the foreman is correct.
If the Navi keeps rebooting...I think you know how this ends.
A component can't be a problem to a circuit if it's not connected to the circuit.

Quick Reply: Display screen