IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tire opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 11:10 AM
Heagy80
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire opinions

Hi. Shopping for new rear tires after my 15 is350 burned up the inners. Looking at the below options. Any thoughts? More concerned with wear than performance. Looking at getting a camber kit to protect these. Thanks

bf Goodrich g force sport comp 2

michelin pilot sport a/a 3+

Bridgestone potenza re980AS
Old 07-01-20, 01:10 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Of those three, the BFG Gforce Sport Comp 2 is the outlier. The Michelins and Bridgestones are all season tires with 500 treadwear rating. I have no experience with either one, but that generally indicates harder/long lasting compounds and better wet weather traction at the expense of dry performance. They are likely a bit softer in the sidewalls making for a more comfortable ride compared to the BFG Comp 2. The BFG Gforce Sport Comp 2 is an ultra high performance summer tire with softer compounds, stiffer side walls and larger, uninterrupted tread blocks for maximum dry weather performance. I used to run these BFG on my 2IS and the rears would be slick as glass after about 25k miles. They performed well, but as stated, you aren't terribly concerned about performance. BFG also makes the Gforce Comp 2 in an all season (see Comp 2 A/S), but I have no experience with these either since I have always had ultra high performance summer tires on all of my IS'. (Mich Pilot Sport, BFG Comp 2, Firestone Indy 500, etc)
The following users liked this post:
Heagy80 (07-01-20)
Old 07-02-20, 09:12 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Your telling me Lexus never added camber adjustment to this car is 6 years?
Old 07-02-20, 10:31 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Hifiman1
Are you surprised? Lol
The following users liked this post:
Hifiman1 (07-04-20)
Old 07-03-20, 06:15 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

A lot of cars don't have Camber adjustment...hell, a lot of cars don't have Caster adjustment either.
In theory if your Caster and Camber is out, something is likely bent.
Almost all cars with have Toe adjustment...need to keep the steering wheel straight.
Old 07-04-20, 01:24 AM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I just find it crazy when sub 20k econoboxes have toe, camber. Yet a so called sports sedan with all this effort behind it doesn't have these features.
Old 07-05-20, 06:37 PM
beeftits
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I just find it crazy when sub 20k econoboxes have toe, camber. Yet a so called sports sedan with all this effort behind it doesn't have these features.
It's because they are designed better. Econo-sht-boxes come off the line loose and sloppy, so the adjustability is more necessary.

Unless you have worn or bent parts, you shouldn't be having any problems.
Old 07-05-20, 06:55 PM
Heagy80
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing wrong or bent. Lexus IS well aware of the problem but yet they don’t correct anything. The car burned out the fronts at 9k. Lexus dealer said they keep replacing tires and Lexus knows the issue, hence they paid for new fronts. Personally, I can’t justify paying $45k for a car that just costs me unnecessary money. The decision to stray from Acura after 20 years has been changed after this car. Nice ride, but expect more than just some good handling.
Old 07-05-20, 07:45 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I suggest looking into installing the RCG/GSF lower control arms bushings to mitigate some of the inner tire wear. It's a cheap and easy upgrade.

I can't really comment on any of the tires you've listed because I run max performance summer tires on my car.
Old 07-06-20, 06:52 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by beeftits
It's because they are designed better. Econo-sht-boxes come off the line loose and sloppy, so the adjustability is more necessary.

Unless you have worn or bent parts, you shouldn't be having any problems.
I think the key with the econoboxes is that they use very simple suspension in the form of some type of McPherson strut design.
By design that system will have some Camber adjustment whether the manufacturer explicitly states or intended it.
In that design type (that is adjustable) the strut will bolt to the steering knuckle with 2 bolts...there's enough play between the strut, knuckle, and bolts to allow for some Camber adjustment. If you need more (depending on how much) you can replace one or both bolts with ones that have a smaller shoulder. Pretty straight forward and pretty cheap, in terms of parts needed.
Everyone has Toe adjustment, so nothing really to mention there.

The upside of McPherson strut designs are they are fairly inexpensive and get the job done to give a nice ride with decent handling...for everyday daily driving needs.
The downside is that they will never have better handling than the IS's suspension...no matter what.
While the IS does use a coil spring over strut in the front, the strut bolts to the lower control arm...as the IS has an upper control arm as well. So Camber adjustment would have to be at one of the control arms...most commonly the lower (easy to get to), which the AWD does have.