IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2017 Lexus is300 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 07:20 PM
Nexicious
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Lexus is300 AWD

Hi I’m just wondering if it’s better to buy the RR tune or have a shop tune my car? Which is better?
Old 07-01-20, 10:08 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

I guess maybe the first question is do you have a shop that can tune the car? That might lead you straight to the RRRacing tune.
Also a number of owners on here have the tune, seems like the consensus is they love it.
Also RRRacing not only tunes the engine, but also the tranny, and rev limiter, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Nexicious (07-13-20)
Old 07-02-20, 11:41 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,726 Likes on 1,898 Posts

Tuning on the 3IS is pretty limited as it is. I would be surprised to find a shop that can tune it. RR Racing's tune seems to be a decent option for the money from my perspective. I would have done it on my 3IS if I hadn't leased it.
Nexicious (07-13-20)
Old 07-02-20, 01:49 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,383 Likes on 636 Posts

Hi,

The IS300 greatly benefits from our tune as they are detuned from the factory. With our software, you'll see power levels similar to the IS350, if not a bit more.

The Lexus ECUs are very intricate and many months of street, dyno and track testing has gone into our tune so there are not many companies that can properly tune the IS, let alone provide proven gains.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...ig3xxtne17.htm
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

The following 2 users liked this post by RRRacing:
Nexicious (07-13-20), Rhydg1 (07-02-20)
Old 08-19-20, 10:54 AM
JayCee0919
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

@RRRacing Question: Am I "buying" the physical device or just "renting" it with the 550 deposit? If I choose to keep it, can I do that and just let you keep the deposit? I may want to go back to factory for warranty purposes

Also, does anyone know if the tunes are actually logged in the car's computer?

Thanks, getting ready to pull the trigger on this!

Last edited by JayCee0919; 08-19-20 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-19-20, 12:13 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Do it yourself. RR Racing will send and guide you thru the whole tuning process. There are several videos that you will find in youtube now regarding DIY tuning using the RR racing tune. Very easy to follow.
RRRacing (08-20-20)
Old 08-20-20, 12:03 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,383 Likes on 636 Posts

Originally Posted by JayCee0919
@RRRacing Question: Am I "buying" the physical device or just "renting" it with the 550 deposit? If I choose to keep it, can I do that and just let you keep the deposit? I may want to go back to factory for warranty purposes

Hi,

We send out the tuning device/cable on a deposit that is refunded once they are returned to us.

You always have the option to revert back to stock (or retune as needed), but we would need to send the device out again to do so. You can also opt to outright purchase the device and keep, just please let us know prior (you just wouldn't receive the deposit back).

Thank you
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 08-22-20, 07:23 AM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JayCee0919

I’ve answered this before and RR can’t tell you yay or nay for liability reasons. I’ve had mine in for service on many occasions. The tune is there, unless they’re looking for it specifically, there’s nothing to worry about. I’ve got asterisks in my service history for all my mods but nothing for the tune. I’m positive if they’re making notes for everything I’ve done, the tune would definitely be on there as well if they knew. So pull the that trigger and enjoy 😉
RRRacing (08-24-20)
Old 08-24-20, 11:31 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by KYLexusMkr
I’ve answered this before and RR can’t tell you yay or nay for liability reasons. I’ve had mine in for service on many occasions. The tune is there, unless they’re looking for it specifically, there’s nothing to worry about. I’ve got asterisks in my service history for all my mods but nothing for the tune. I’m positive if they’re making notes for everything I’ve done, the tune would definitely be on there as well if they knew. So pull the that trigger and enjoy 😉
I second this. RR did my IS300 tune + full exhaust system (PPE headers + Ark Grip catback), and went to 3 different Lexus service centers. None of them mentioned anything about the tune. They even complimented the sound of the exhaust system. Funny coz you know how quiet the Lexus service center, my IS was the only one that's noisy AF.

Anyways, to the OP, don't hesitate to get the RR tune - you won't regret it.
RRRacing (08-24-20)
Old 08-24-20, 10:23 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by s3v3n
I second this. RR did my IS300 tune + full exhaust system (PPE headers + Ark Grip catback), and went to 3 different Lexus service centers. None of them mentioned anything about the tune. They even complimented the sound of the exhaust system. Funny coz you know how quiet the Lexus service center, my IS was the only one that's noisy AF.

Anyways, to the OP, don't hesitate to get the RR tune - you won't regret it.
side question, do you have your CEL for the headers?
Old 08-25-20, 05:02 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by swaangin
Never did.
Old 08-25-20, 06:39 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
Originally Posted by s3v3n
Never did.
It's likely with the tune that includes headers that they have erased the codes that would cause a CEL to trigger...this is a common practice with tuners when there is no other way to guarantee the CEL won't come on.
Old 08-25-20, 07:30 AM
cliffhokie
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Unless you like bouncing off the rev limiter unless you use the manual shifters every time you floor it, make sure you ask RR Racing to send you the tune that will more closely resemble normal shifting patterns and not require manual shifting. Speaking from personal experience.
Old 08-25-20, 07:59 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
It's likely with the tune that includes headers that they have erased the codes that would cause a CEL to trigger...this is a common practice with tuners when there is no other way to guarantee the CEL won't come on.
Yes, I already have the tune before installing the headers and they mentioned part of that tune will disable those O2 sensors on triggering a CEL. I was more concern about the smog test in NJ than a CEL.

Only time I had a CEL which was completely unrelated to this, was when a gas service attendant didn't properly closed the gas cap. (Yes, I think NJ is the only state now which drivers are not allowed to pump our own gas)
Old 05-02-21, 05:48 PM
Leo7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Hi,

We send out the tuning device/cable on a deposit that is refunded once they are returned to us.

You always have the option to revert back to stock (or retune as needed), but we would need to send the device out again to do so. You can also opt to outright purchase the device and keep, just please let us know prior (you just wouldn't receive the deposit back).

Thank you
Hi there
how much is it to rent it out? And return it to you?

Quick Reply: 2017 Lexus is300 AWD