Disable TPMS dash indicator

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-20, 05:38 AM
Easterlily
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable TPMS dash indicator

Hello.
Ive read around on other subforums on clublexus that there might be a quite easy workaround fix to disable the TPMS system and so prevent the dash light to turn on if using tires without sensors.

Firstly - I know the reason of the system and that its invented to help me and others etc etc however as I live in Sweden we are forced to use winter tires about half of the year and therefor I am also more or less forced to check my tire pressure atleast twice a year when I make the change. I do ofcourse check it more often - and yes I do understand that finding out about a flat tire might take longer with the system disabled.

Anyway - now that we cleared that out I hope we dont need to discuss more about why I want to find a solution for this and focus more on the solution itself.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-5th-gen-2007-2012/705172-tpms-light-on-how-to-disable.html here is a link to a very detailed guide of how to do this on the older gen cars (the ES 5 gen if im correct). I wonder if the TPMS architecture looks the same in my IS300H 2015 and/or if anyone have successfully disabled the TPMS light with this solution or any other.
Old 07-02-20, 06:40 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Interesting information you found there on the ES.

As you may or may not know, the IS300h isn't sold in North America, which is the vast majority of the forums members here, so we have very little tech info on it.
We do have some members from your side of the pond, so maybe they may have some info.

The ES referenced in your link uses a different architecture for the TPMS system.
The Blue wire they cut was used by the TPMS ECU to control the light in the Combination Meter directly.
Effectively what the mod consisted of was supplying the constant voltage from the TPMS Reset switch (orange wire) to the Indicator light on the dash (blue wire).

The TPMS system that we have on the IS in North America doesn't have an Indicator light control wire, rather it uses a pulse generation signal to the Main Body ECU that controls the light via the CAN wires to the Combination Meter...so the ES mod will not work.

Maybe I can offer a better, cost effective solution.
Purchase a set of aftermarket TPMS sensors that can be cloned to the ones on the vehicle.
These are inexpensive and will keep the TPMS light off while you have the winter wheels on.
There would be no need to constant reprogramming every time you swap wheels as the winter set is cloned, so it has the same ID numbers as the Summer set. The TPMS ECU will never know the difference.
The aftermarket sensors won't show tire pressure on the display, but I know in some countries the TPMS system on the IS doesn't show pressure anyways...in North America it does.
The aftermarket sensors will still trigger the TPMS light in the event a tire does go low, so you still retain the safety aspect of the system.
Old 07-02-20, 07:22 AM
Easterlily
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your answer. I did not know that the 300H is not sold in the US. Thats kind of a bugger but I would assume that the 250 or 350 (or which ever counterpart you have in US of 3rd gen IS) would have the same TPMS setup as the 300H sold in N-EU - although its just an assumption.

However it sounds as to how you explain it that it would be more complicated to do a workaround, not just cutting and soldering as would be on the previous models.

My model have a TPMS reset button underneat the steering wheel. Im not sure of what it does as I am certain I dont have sensors on my winter tyres and operating the button then does nothing, and as i switch back to summers set the light goes away within the first kms.

I guess I could just buy a set of TPMS sensors for new wheels as I plan to buy a set of 18 inches to replace the original 17inches and use these for wintertyres. The 16 inch wintersetup i recieved with the car is both ugly and scuffed.

I basically would just enjoy the non hassle with the TPMS system and save the 300€ that the sensors would add to the complete cost.

-
About your solution with the 3rd party sensors I have a gut feeling that a solution like this would bite me in the ### in the future, but maybe its worth considering.
Old 07-02-20, 07:36 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

The Reset button sets the threshold pressure for the tire pressure in the ECU.
Let's say you set all the tires to 36PSI...then you follow the Reset button procedure in the owners manual...now the ECU knows that you have set the tires to 36PSI and that is what you want them to be as the norm.
When the pressure drops about 5PSI or more on any given wheel, then it will trigger the light.

In this case you can set the pressure to whatever you want and hit the Reset button, the ECU will use that as the benchmark for when to turn on the TPMS light if the pressure drops.
Does your dash show the individual tire pressures with the Summer wheels?
I'm pretty sure the TPMS systems are the same on your car as ours.

I'm not sure what's available for aftermarket sensors where you are, but over here you can get EZ Sensor as a brand that can be cloned to the existing TPMS sensors. They are not expensive, but won't show the pressure on the dash.
I suspect yours may not show the pressures on the dash as normal operation, so the aftermarket sensors won't be any better or worse than the OEM sensors...and at a fraction of the cost.
Old 07-02-20, 11:58 AM
Easterlily
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The Reset button sets the threshold pressure for the tire pressure in the ECU.
Let's say you set all the tires to 36PSI...then you follow the Reset button procedure in the owners manual...now the ECU knows that you have set the tires to 36PSI and that is what you want them to be as the norm.
When the pressure drops about 5PSI or more on any given wheel, then it will trigger the light.

In this case you can set the pressure to whatever you want and hit the Reset button, the ECU will use that as the benchmark for when to turn on the TPMS light if the pressure drops.
Does your dash show the individual tire pressures with the Summer wheels?
I'm pretty sure the TPMS systems are the same on your car as ours.

I'm not sure what's available for aftermarket sensors where you are, but over here you can get EZ Sensor as a brand that can be cloned to the existing TPMS sensors. They are not expensive, but won't show the pressure on the dash.
I suspect yours may not show the pressures on the dash as normal operation, so the aftermarket sensors won't be any better or worse than the OEM sensors...and at a fraction of the cost.
Ah thanks for the info. That makes sense - regarding the reset button. And maybe the aftermarket TPMS isnt that bad then. I only have a dumb yellow indicator and no other info regarding the tyre pressure - atleast that ive found but I dont really care about having it in any case.
Old 07-02-20, 12:03 PM
Easterlily
Driver School Candidate

I had a quick look around the internet while i typed my previous message but couldnt really find an equialent to the EZ sensors you mentioned. Ill have to look more into it or if anyone know somewhere to get this in Eu. How does this work? If i buy a new set of tires and rims should i bring the sensors to the mechanic as he assembles the wheels? I guess there is no easy way to do this at home?
Old 07-02-20, 12:14 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Easterlily
Ah thanks for the info. That makes sense - regarding the reset button. And maybe the aftermarket TPMS isnt that bad then. I only have a dumb yellow indicator and no other info regarding the tyre pressure - atleast that ive found but I dont really care about having it in any case.
Originally Posted by Easterlily
I had a quick look around the internet while i typed my previous message but couldnt really find an equialent to the EZ sensors you mentioned. Ill have to look more into it or if anyone know somewhere to get this in Eu. How does this work? If i buy a new set of tires and rims should i bring the sensors to the mechanic as he assembles the wheels? I guess there is no easy way to do this at home?
The tire pressures will show in the Combination meter...depending on which Combination meter you have, there's a couple locations that you can find it...but I doubt you have it.
It is quite handy I have to admit, cause it tells you the pressure of each wheel in it's actual location. I can appreciate that if you check your tire pressure often, then it's not going to be much help to you, but being able to see the pressures live also makes less work to check them that often, and if you have an issue you can see it right away...specifically which wheel has the issue. Makes it super easy to fix a problem.
My 2014 Toyota Highlander has a system like yours...what a pain in the a** when the light comes on, cause now I'm hunting between the 4 wheels to find the problem...assuming it's even a tire pressure issue.

How about this brand, Autel: http://www.maxitpms.com/tpmscms/product2/666.jhtml
Old 07-02-20, 03:27 PM
Easterlily
Driver School Candidate

The tire pressures will show in the Combination meter...depending on which Combination meter you have, there's a couple locations that you can find it...but I doubt you have it.
It is quite handy I have to admit, cause it tells you the pressure of each wheel in it's actual location. I can appreciate that if you check your tire pressure often, then it's not going to be much help to you, but being able to see the pressures live also makes less work to check them that often, and if you have an issue you can see it right away...specifically which wheel has the issue. Makes it super easy to fix a problem.
My 2014 Toyota Highlander has a system like yours...what a pain in the a** when the light comes on, cause now I'm hunting between the 4 wheels to find the problem...assuming it's even a tire pressure issue.

How about this brand, Autel: http://www.maxitpms.com/tpmscms/product2/666.jhtml
Looks good. Sorry to hear about your problem with the Toyota. Did you check the pressure of the spare if you have one? And maybe fiddle with the reset button if present like mine, and that can fix the issue after all tires have been filled.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/4x-2020-Aute...oAAOSwFQVdy7-H
I found this after a bit of search from the advice you gave me. This says 433mhz is that not compatible with Lexus as you linked one with 3xx mhz something freqency. The Autel tire sensor looks good on the paper.

Otherwise are all tire pressure sensors compatible with any car? And how do I copy the OEM sensors ID to these third party ones?
Old 07-03-20, 06:09 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

For the Highlander I was able to resolve the issue...it had a slow leak due to some corrosion from a previous tack-on tire weight on the inside of the wheel...I had new tires put on a couple months back. The spare tire isn't monitored by the system.
I have a Techstream (the Toyota/Lexus laptop software), so I was able to see the tire pressures, although it doesn't tell you position...but at least I knew the light was on due to a pressure issue...which is usually why it's on.

Our IS's over here work on a 315mHz system for the TPMS sensors. Assuming you have the same system it would also be 315mHz.

Otherwise are all tire pressure sensors compatible with any car? No...there are at least 2 different frequencies that sensors work on...315 and 433 mHz
And how do I copy the OEM sensors ID to these third party ones? A local tire shop will (should) have the tools to do it for you. The cost is usually minimal, some will even do it for free if you get the tires from them.
Old 07-05-20, 10:03 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 294 Likes on 225 Posts

Our IS's over here work on a 315mHz system for the TPMS sensors. Assuming you have the same system it would also be 315mHz.
That’s probably incorrect.
North America uses 315MHz, while the rest of the world tends to use 433MHz.
Old 07-06-20, 04:31 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kj07xk
That’s probably incorrect.
North America uses 315MHz, while the rest of the world tends to use 433MHz.
That might very well be true...like I mentioned way up above, we don't have the 300h in NA, so zero technical specs on it...everything is pretty much a 'best guess' at this point.
The 433mHz may even explain when they don't get sensor positioning on the display...maybe.

To OP, on another thread a member living overseas with a NA 3IS is using CUB TPMS sensors, which is another option.
I'm sure a local tire shop could determine the correct one for your vehicle.