multiple malfunction and warning lights pop up

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 06:54 PM
awcmm
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default multiple malfunction and warning lights pop up

Hi all,

Yesterday i was driving at 50km/h and i ran over one of those metal plates used for road construction on the driver side and then all of the sudden i got malfunction warnings: Check AWD System, ABS Malfunction, Lane Departure Alert Malfunction, Pre-Collision System Malfunction, Blind Spot Monitor System Malfunction and some other lights. I drove the car home and shut it off and turned it back on and all the lights and warnings disappeared. Today i was driving at the same speed and went over a manhole cover on the driver side again and these lights all came back on again but restarting the car seemed have made them all go away again. Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? bad sensors?

Thanks!
Old 07-15-20, 12:41 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by awcmm
Hi all,

Yesterday i was driving at 50km/h and i ran over one of those metal plates used for road construction on the driver side and then all of the sudden i got malfunction warnings: Check AWD System, ABS Malfunction, Lane Departure Alert Malfunction, Pre-Collision System Malfunction, Blind Spot Monitor System Malfunction and some other lights. I drove the car home and shut it off and turned it back on and all the lights and warnings disappeared. Today i was driving at the same speed and went over a manhole cover on the driver side again and these lights all came back on again but restarting the car seemed have made them all go away again. Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? bad sensors?

Thanks!
My guess is that something got loose and when you hit stuff it knocks it loose again triggering the warnings. Whatever is loose probably goes right back to where it’s supposed to be immediately but that split second of “disconnect” triggers those warnings etc. That’s what would make the most sense. The question now is, what is loose.
Old 07-15-20, 12:56 AM
awcmm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flash5
My guess is that something got loose and when you hit stuff it knocks it loose again triggering the warnings. Whatever is loose probably goes right back to where it’s supposed to be immediately but that split second of “disconnect” triggers those warnings etc. That’s what would make the most sense. The question now is, what is loose.
That's what i'm assuming as well but i can't seem to pinpoint where it is, i'm guessing somewhere near the driver front side wheel well area. I'll have to contact the dealer and have them take a look at it if it happens again.
Old 07-15-20, 12:57 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

That's what i'm assuming as well but i can't seem to pinpoint where it is, i'm guessing somewhere near the driver front side wheel well area. I'll have to contact the dealer and have them take a look at it if it happens again.
Maybe one of the ABS sensors?
The following users liked this post:
awcmm (07-15-20)
Old 07-15-20, 05:22 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

The problem with that group of warning lights in the pic is that when one gets triggered for a code, they all come on.
So it looks like some catastrophic failure, and really it's probably something small that just triggered the first light.
Of course you won't know what it is until you check the code in each system...eventually one will be the one causing the issue, and then it should be an easy fix.
Old 07-15-20, 09:36 AM
awcmm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The problem with that group of warning lights in the pic is that when one gets triggered for a code, they all come on.
So it looks like some catastrophic failure, and really it's probably something small that just triggered the first light.
Of course you won't know what it is until you check the code in each system...eventually one will be the one causing the issue, and then it should be an easy fix.
I'll be taking in my car today and getting it checked out, will keep this thread updated.
Old 08-22-20, 07:48 PM
awcmm
Driver School Candidate

Update: Been offline from the forums for a bit but i got the issue resolved. The dealership replaced the rear driver side wheel speed sensor that was pinched and damaged. Mostly it happened from when i took the car into a different shop and they installed my SPC camber arms for me they didn't re-adjust the cable so it had a lot of slack based on what dealership told me. Not really sure if it was the case when i got the RSR down springs installed since i got them installed well over a year ago and haven't given me an issue until after the camber arms went in. Suggest for anyone who gets suspension modifications done to their vehicles to look out for the wiring on the speed sensors.
pngo (08-22-20)
Old 08-23-20, 08:35 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Update: Been offline from the forums for a bit but i got the issue resolved. The dealership replaced the rear driver side wheel speed sensor that was pinched and damaged. Mostly it happened from when i took the car into a different shop and they installed my SPC camber arms for me they didn't re-adjust the cable so it had a lot of slack based on what dealership told me. Not really sure if it was the case when i got the RSR down springs installed since i got them installed well over a year ago and haven't given me an issue until after the camber arms went in. Suggest for anyone who gets suspension modifications done to their vehicles to look out for the wiring on the speed sensors.
Thanks for updating the thread.
I would think it relates to the SPC arm install.
With the spring install you don't need to touch the wires at all in the rear.
But when you install the SPC arms, you need to detach the wire from the original arm, and attached it to the SPC arm mounting tab.
That's likely where the installer missed it or didn't attach it properly and it came loose.
tbusco (12-17-22)
Old 12-17-22, 08:53 AM
tbusco
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the helpful info. I just got this message yesterday. It will clear when I turn off then turn back on the car but seem like any bump I hit causes lights to start to flash again.

Last edited by tbusco; 12-17-22 at 10:27 AM. Reason: added photos