IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS350 Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-20, 10:19 AM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2014 IS350 Engine noise

I've had this engine noise on my 2014 Lexus IS350 for about three months now. The noise always occurs after starting the car up and driving for the first 15-20 minutes then it goes away. I've taken my car to two shops already, but none have been able to determine its cause. I created the video below (please turn the sound up) so that you can hear the recorded sound.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-18-20, 03:30 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Does the noise change when you change speeds?
Does the noise change when you turn?
Does the noise occur when the vehicle is stationary and running?
Old 07-18-20, 06:06 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

These v6 engines have a bit of a deisel truck sound when cold. But as the exhaust heats up, it quiets down. check your exhaust for leaks.
Old 07-22-20, 07:00 AM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Does the noise change when you change speeds?
Does the noise change when you turn?
Does the noise occur when the vehicle is stationary and running?
1) So I hear the noise when I go over 50mph with a slight vibration.
2) no
3) no

Old 07-22-20, 07:13 AM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
These v6 engines have a bit of a deisel truck sound when cold. But as the exhaust heats up, it quiets down. check your exhaust for leaks.
The big issue I have is that by the time I get to the repair shop, the noise is normally gone. Additionally, the only way to hear the noise is to go over 50mph which a lot of auto repair shops aren't not willing to do for whatever reason. I have an appointment today so I’ll ask to check for the exhaust leaks.
Old 07-22-20, 07:20 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by theoryguy3
1) So I hear the noise when I go over 50mph with a slight vibration.
2) no
3) no
Given the speed and the note of the slight vibration, it may be a tire or wheel bearing issue.
When the noise is occurring, if you sway the car side to side (Sorta like driving through a mild slalom course) does the noise change? If yes, then likely a wheel bearing, if no, then I would look at the tires.
How old are the tires?
What brand/model are they?
Also, when the noise is occurring, if you take your foot completely off the accelerator, does the noise stop?
Old 07-22-20, 07:32 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

It does kind of sound like the howling of a bad wheel bearing, but it would be odd for one to fail on a 2014. Try swapping the front wheels to the back and see if the noise and vibration changes to see if it has to do with the wheels/tires at all..
Old 07-23-20, 04:16 PM
mrecho
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the back tires and see if there cupped on the inside....I had same issue/sound and that was the problem.
Old 07-26-20, 02:27 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

My 3IS just developed this same type hum/squeal sound (but higher pitch) right between 70 and 80. It's currently sitting inside Lexus service garage so will wait for their findings hopefully tomorrow. I'm 100% sure it's not the tires coz I can hear the separate tires sound whenever the car rolls into a cement/non-asphalt road.

I don't think it's a drone coz it's coming from the front of the vehicle.
Old 07-27-20, 08:02 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by s3v3n
My 3IS just developed this same type hum/squeal sound (but higher pitch) right between 70 and 80. It's currently sitting inside Lexus service garage so will wait for their findings hopefully tomorrow. I'm 100% sure it's not the tires coz I can hear the separate tires sound whenever the car rolls into a cement/non-asphalt road.

I don't think it's a drone coz it's coming from the front of the vehicle.

Quick update on this: Just hanged up the phone with Cherry Hill Lexus and they replaced the wheel bearing on my car - not sure which one/s but I'm glad it's NOT the Michelins or the headers or the modded lower airbox. Will post the report sheet here when I get my car back.

Last edited by s3v3n; 07-27-20 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Added service report screenshot
The following 2 users liked this post by s3v3n:
arentz07 (07-27-20), pngo (08-08-20)
Old 08-08-20, 09:30 AM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

So it turned out that my rear tires had some uneven wear and the rear shocks leaking because of the crappy roads and construction projects in my area. I ordered replacement tires at Tirerack and the shocks from Lexus of Akron and my car has gone back to being quiet once again. Definitely not a cheap fix, but it's my second repair, aside from wheel and tires, in the near 7 years I've owned my car so not bad either.
The following 3 users liked this post by theoryguy3:
GR3Y5H3ART (08-09-20), Jazzrock (08-08-20), pngo (08-08-20)
Old 08-09-20, 05:54 AM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

So it turned out that my rear tires had some uneven wear and the rear shocks leaking because of the crappy roads and construction projects in my area. I ordered replacement tires at Tirerack and the shocks from Lexus of Akron and my car has gone back to being quiet once again. Definitely not a cheap fix, but it's my second repair, aside from wheel and tires, in the near 7 years I've owned my car so not bad either.

i remember a story of a Pot Hole so bad that someone literally threw a twin size mattress in it!

i would check with NJ.gov but if its like D.C., gov may help you recoup some of that Money for those fixes:

"Drivers who unexpectedly slam into a pothole on D.C. streets can sometimes get the city to pay for the damage, and last year, one driver got more than $6,000."

https://wtop.com/dc/2018/03/hit-poth...t-pay-repairs/
Old 08-18-20, 10:49 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GR3Y5H3ART
i remember a story of a Pot Hole so bad that someone literally threw a twin size mattress in it!

i would check with NJ.gov but if its like D.C., gov may help you recoup some of that money for those fixes:

"Drivers who unexpectedly slam into a pothole on D.C. streets can sometimes get the city to pay for the damage, and last year, one driver got more than $6,000."

https://wtop.com/dc/2018/03/hit-poth...t-pay-repairs/
Unfortunately, I don't live in NJ and getting NYC to pay for pothole damage is like squeezing blood from a stone.

Also, I still had a low growl while driving which turned out to be a faulty front passenger-side wheel bearing.
I lucked out for years not having any major repairs but these past 3 months of repairs have burned a hole through my wallet. I'm hoping I won't have any other issues for a while now.
Old 08-18-20, 11:30 PM
ihateu3
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Why order from Lexus of Akron? Just curious, because that is my local dealer, but you seem to live elsewhere.
Old 08-18-20, 11:42 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ihateu3
Why order from Lexus of Akron? Just curious, because that is my local dealer, but you seem to live elsewhere.
The parts were competitively priced, they gave me a discount on shipping, and they didn't charge me sales tax on my order.

Quick Reply: 2014 IS350 Engine noise