IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Possible blown amp? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-20, 01:19 PM
TophersGRG
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Possible blown amp? Help?

Turned on my 2014 Lexus is350 f sport today and heard a decent sounding pop. Of course, checked the sound system and I have no sound coming out whatsoever from any source. Pulled the three fuses underneath the driver's footwell. The two 30s for amp 1 & 2 and the 15 radio fuse. The fuses were not blown and leads me to believe my Mark Levinson amp is blown. Finding it really frustrating considering I just bought this around a month ago from someone. I am attaching the service code below that was thrown at the time the car started up. I believe the amp is blown but just want to make sure. If anyone can verify that the amp is blown or help point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. And if anyone knows of a place to find a replacement amp that is a decent price that would also be great because I am not about to drop $2,000 for a brand new mark levinson amplifier from Lexus.

Old 07-24-20, 02:43 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

The code is for a short in the speaker output circuit.
The problem areas are the Amp, wiring between the Amp and speakers, and the speakers.
While it's not common for the 2014 ML Amps to go, it's entirely possible.

Unless you want to get into a lengthy diagnosis checking all the wiring between the Amp and speakers, the most likely cause is the Amp.
I suggest accessing it in the trunk (right and floor area), find the part number for it, and go hunting online for one. Start with eBay.
Old 07-24-20, 06:02 PM
TophersGRG
Rookie

Yeah, I saw your comment on another post with the same code thrown. Seems like I will take out the amp check it out and maybe just unplug it and plug it back in and see if the cables are all connected. While that's likely not the issue since I heard something like a capacitor or a MOSFET blow when I started the car I'm guessing an electrical component blew up inside the amp. I scoured some other clublexus forums and found a company that mark levinson recommended to repair their amps. The company is called United Radio, A simple google search brings up there website cant link it here for some reason. No Idea how reputable this company is but they have free shipping for a free estimate so its worth a shot to be honest. Ebay seems to be out of the amps for these specific models anyways so this seems to be my best chance at getting my sound system up and running and probably cheaper than buying a whole other unit.

Last edited by TophersGRG; 07-24-20 at 06:03 PM. Reason: edit link
Old 07-25-20, 07:03 PM
TophersGRG
Rookie

Just throwing out an update on this. As of this morning when I started up the car again to drive over to a friends house I was happily surprised to see the radio turn on and music playing on startup. I have no idea what happened or why the car threw that code but I am glad to not be shelling out $1000.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (07-25-20)
Old 07-26-20, 07:42 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by TophersGRG
Just throwing out an update on this. As of this morning when I started up the car again to drive over to a friends house I was happily surprised to see the radio turn on and music playing on startup. I have no idea what happened or why the car threw that code but I am glad to not be shelling out $1000.
It's possible the amp could have been wet and it dried out.