IS300,350 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-20, 09:33 AM
Waffles17
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default IS300,350 questions

Heya

I would like to know which package or options would blind spot monitoring, and the electric steering wheel adjustment are part of? Are they part of the F sport 2 or 3?

What's the difference between FS2 verus 3?

Lastly, can the dealer find out that an is300 was tuned, and out back to stock (with an RR tune)?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-09-20, 09:42 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

It may depend on what year you're referring to.
I have a Canadian 2014 Series 2 F Sport and it has neither BSM or electric steering adjustment. Honestly I'm not sure if any of them have electric steering adjustment (I never really looked)...I assume you are referring to tilt and telescopic steering.
Series 3 F Sport would get you BSM for 2014.

There was another thread discussing dealers detecting tunes...conclusion at the end of the back and forth is that they could not.

Edit: Maybe the ones with Seat Memory have the electric steering adjustments?
Old 08-09-20, 01:31 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

My 2015 Canadian 350 fsport series 2 has BSM.
Certain models have VGRS (variable gear ratio steering).
All 3is have electric power steering & I’m not sure about power telescopic tilt, personally my car does not, I have to manually adjust the wheel in/out/up/down.

They COULD most definitely detect the tune IF they wanted to. They can see how many times/when the ecu was flashed, whether or not they actually look for it depends.

just because no one here has reported having their tune detected doesn’t mean they can’t...are they checking the ecu for blown shocks? Not likely. But some guy with a heavily modded IS walks in with a blown engine...well that’s a different story.

Also, in the USA They have the Magnusson-Moss act, dealers legally have to prove the modification caused the failure.
There is no magnusson-moss act equivalent in Canada.

Last edited by NickCaesar; 08-09-20 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-09-20, 01:38 PM
Waffles17
Driver

Ya I was referring to adjustment of steering electronically rather than manually...

So is the bsm in every F series or not necessarily?
Old 08-09-20, 01:48 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Waffles17
Ya I was referring to adjustment of steering electronically rather than manually...

So is the bsm in every F series or not necessarily?
Sasnuke said his 2014 fsport doesn’t have BSM, my 2015 does so really not sure if it’s based on model, year, region etc...
personally I disable my BSM, I instead do something called a shoulder check, infinitely times more accurate and reliable than counting on car programming. I can’t tell you how many stories I’ve heard of people getting into accidents and saying “well deerrpppp my BSM didn’t go off I thought it was clear”.

Shoulder check every time you turn or switch lanes and you don’t need BSM.
Old 08-09-20, 02:53 PM
Waffles17
Driver

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
Sasnuke said his 2014 fsport doesn’t have BSM, my 2015 does so really not sure if it’s based on model, year, region etc...
personally I disable my BSM, I instead do something called a shoulder check, infinitely times more accurate and reliable than counting on car programming. I can’t tell you how many stories I’ve heard of people getting into accidents and saying “well deerrpppp my BSM didn’t go off I thought it was clear”.

Shoulder check every time you turn or switch lanes and you don’t need BSM.
Am old school, I look over my shoulder and all. The bsm is mostly for my wife.

I don't know how effective it is on Lexus (I don't own one yet), but on the German cars I own, that feature saved me many many times because the car was really close enough that my mirror didn't spot it. Technology, if well implemented, does save your ***
Old 08-09-20, 06:19 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 162 Posts

I love BSM on my 16 200. Hardly driving these days, in any case.
Old 08-09-20, 06:33 PM
Waffles17
Driver

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
I love BSM on my 16 200. Hardly driving these days, in any case.
do u know part of which package or options it comes with ?
Old 08-09-20, 09:12 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Am old school, I look over my shoulder and all. The bsm is mostly for my wife.

I don't know how effective it is on Lexus (I don't own one yet), but on the German cars I own, that feature saved me many many times because the car was really close enough that my mirror didn't spot it. Technology, if well implemented, does save your ***
it works really well. Never failed me a moment. I know cause I look too.

I had non F-Sport premium pkg in US. Doesn't really help you, you need to find the .pdf brochure for your model/year/country. They have most of the data in those
Old 08-09-20, 09:28 PM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

I believe BSM became standard with 2017, my 2018 300AWD has what you are looking for as standard.
Old 08-12-20, 01:54 PM
Panzer126
Rookie

My 2014 350 fsport 3 has BSM but with manual steering adjustment. In 2015 the Fsport 3s got everything including vented seats.

Fsport 3 is the full on 3is with everything like ML audio, BSM, rear sun shade. The 2014s had a few features excluded like vented seats, auto steering adjustment, automatic side mirrors. These days it's best to avoid the 2014s all together even though they are CHEAP.

Unless it's a warranty issue, which expired long time ago on my car I wouldn't take it to a dealership. You're in toronto, there's plenty of good mechanics. I personally go to Mecano Autoworks by the airport, Rish was a lexus master tech and still maintains a good relationship there. He took my car to the dealer to run tests on my nav unit, the absolute best mechanic I've ever had and he's taken care of my 3is since 2016. Can't say enough good things about the man and his shop. He's installed my ark grip catback exhaust last week and next week will be installing a diffuser and trunk lid spoiler for me.
Old 08-12-20, 02:55 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
My 2015 Canadian 350 fsport series 2 has BSM.
Certain models have VGRS (variable gear ratio steering).
All 3is have electric power steering & I’m not sure about power telescopic tilt, personally my car does not, I have to manually adjust the wheel in/out/up/down.

They COULD most definitely detect the tune IF they wanted to. They can see how many times/when the ecu was flashed, whether or not they actually look for it depends.

just because no one here has reported having their tune detected doesn’t mean they can’t...are they checking the ecu for blown shocks? Not likely. But some guy with a heavily modded IS walks in with a blown engine...well that’s a different story.

Also, in the USA They have the Magnusson-Moss act, dealers legally have to prove the modification caused the failure.
They COULD most definitely detect the tune IF they wanted to. They really can't.
They can see how many times/when the ecu was flashed, whether or not they actually look for it depends. Trust me, no dealer tech knows what to look for or even cares. And they can't tell how many times it's been flashed. There's no flash counter.
some guy with a heavily modded IS walks in with a blown engine...well that’s a different story. I would agree with you that a blown motor for a vehicle that it is uncommon for would raise questions and further investigation. This is what leads to flash detection parameters/software being developed by manufacturers.
Very true...but in Canada there is a thing called CAMVAP...let the dealer try and deny a warranty claim without sufficient grounds...trust me, the manufacturer doesn't want to lose a CAMVAP case. (https://www.camvap.ca/)
Old 08-12-20, 06:01 PM
Waffles17
Driver

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
They COULD most definitely detect the tune IF they wanted to. They really can't.
They can see how many times/when the ecu was flashed, whether or not they actually look for it depends. Trust me, no dealer tech knows what to look for or even cares. And they can't tell how many times it's been flashed. There's no flash counter.
some guy with a heavily modded IS walks in with a blown engine...well that’s a different story. I would agree with you that a blown motor for a vehicle that it is uncommon for would raise questions and further investigation. This is what leads to flash detection parameters/software being developed by manufacturers.
Very true...but in Canada there is a thing called CAMVAP...let the dealer try and deny a warranty claim without sufficient grounds...trust me, the manufacturer doesn't want to lose a CAMVAP case. (https://www.camvap.ca/)
I don't know about lexus ECUs, but with many german cars, when the tech plugs in the diagnostics system, it automatically detects + flags + reports the flag the vehicle directly to Germany all without any tech interference. Then all warranty is denied all over the world. And apparently it's not only based on ecu flash counters. If a car makes 300 lb. Ft of torque but registers say 340 or more, they know it's been tuned.

At this point, if the price difference between an is300 and is350 is say $3000, and the cost of the tune is $600, at this point I don't think I will take the risk of tuning it and getting denied by the dealer. I would get the 350, enjoy it, with the extended warranty.

If I tune a 350, after warranty, i would probably just throw the RR tune, headers, high flow air filter and call it a day. I wanna keep the quiet cabin, and also don't want to alter any cats or have more fuel smell.
Old 08-12-20, 06:29 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know about lexus ECUs, but with many german cars, when the tech plugs in the diagnostics system, it automatically detects + flags + reports the flag the vehicle directly to Germany all without any tech interference. Then all warranty is denied all over the world. And apparently it's not only based on ecu flash counters. If a car makes 300 lb. Ft of torque but registers say 340 or more, they know it's been tuned.

At this point, if the price difference between an is300 and is350 is say $3000, and the cost of the tune is $600, at this point I don't think I will take the risk of tuning it and getting denied by the dealer. I would get the 350, enjoy it, with the extended warranty.

If I tune a 350, after warranty, i would probably just throw the RR tune, headers, high flow air filter and call it a day. I wanna keep the quiet cabin, and also don't want to alter any cats or have more fuel smell.
What you're saying about German cars is 100% true...the tech does nothing but plug in the scanner and the information goes straight to Germany.
And they are 100% looking for any kind of tunes to the vehicle.
Aaaaaaaaand Toyota/Lexus does absolutely none of that...I know, sad and shocking!
Keeping in mind even if the engine warranty is voided on that German car, doesn't mean they aren't going to warranty unrelated items...like if you have a shock or air bag leaking, it's still covered under warranty if the suspension is all OEM and original.
If the engine or tranny blow, then they are well within their rights to deny those items...seems pretty obvious.

There was another thread where this was debated as well...it came done to they can't detect a tune...but yet here we are again.
As soon as one person says they can or might be able to, then all of a sudden it's a guarantee they can.

Here's a novel idea, has anyone actually just straight out asked the dealer if they can? Seems like an obvious thing to do.
Or even called the manufacturer and asked them? Once again, seems like an obvious way to get the answer to the question.
Old 08-12-20, 06:38 PM
Waffles17
Driver

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
What you're saying about German cars is 100% true...the tech does nothing but plug in the scanner and the information goes straight to Germany.
And they are 100% looking for any kind of tunes to the vehicle.
Aaaaaaaaand Toyota/Lexus does absolutely none of that...I know, sad and shocking!
Keeping in mind even if the engine warranty is voided on that German car, doesn't mean they aren't going to warranty unrelated items...like if you have a shock or air bag leaking, it's still covered under warranty if the suspension is all OEM and original.
If the engine or tranny blow, then they are well within their rights to deny those items...seems pretty obvious.

There was another thread where this was debated as well...it came done to they can't detect a tune...but yet here we are again.
As soon as one person says they can or might be able to, then all of a sudden it's a guarantee they can.

Here's a novel idea, has anyone actually just straight out asked the dealer if they can? Seems like an obvious thing to do.
Or even called the manufacturer and asked them? Once again, seems like an obvious way to get the answer to the question.
I will call and ask tomorrow. But don't expect dealers to be honest, not knowing and answering whatever comes to their minds, and so on

The most two expensive parts in a car happen to be the engine and transmission as u know. This is where warranty is most needed.

I dont know enough about lexus ECUs, but its not rocket science to know if the ecu was altered, reprogrammed, turned, etc.

Actually on german cars, before any engine and transmission work is even done, they scan and validate the ECU, open a ticket, and then they proceed. It would be hard to believe that I would mode the lexus to 500 hp, blow the engine, and lexus won't even tell the ecu changed. But I could be pleasantly surprised

Quick Reply: IS300,350 questions