IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

All about Lexus IS No Sound (Volume) - Amplifier failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-22, 11:23 AM
WylerLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok i will disconnect the grom unit. while im back there in the headunit is there any diagnostics i can perform to make sure everything is working as it should.
the last peice to the puzzle seems like the headunit. Would there be any reason this is the cause for sound not working, or is the only trouble shooting already been provided?
thanks,
Wyler
Old 02-15-22, 04:45 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by WylerLexus
Ok i will disconnect the grom unit. while im back there in the headunit is there any diagnostics i can perform to make sure everything is working as it should.
the last peice to the puzzle seems like the headunit. Would there be any reason this is the cause for sound not working, or is the only trouble shooting already been provided?
thanks,
Wyler
From behind the radio you can check the wires that go from the radio to JP1 as a final check.

If the wires from the Radio to the Amp are good, and the Amp has power and Ground, and the speaker wires are not shorted to Ground, and speaker resistance is within spec, then the only thing left is the Radio...or something causing the Radio to Mute
You disconnected the Aux port to see if it may be the issue, but it wasn't.
And you confirmed that the Amp installed works in another vehicle.
The only thing left is the Radio.

I attached the procedure to check the MUTE wire since you'll have the Radio out.

Did any of the members in the 2IS forum ever have this no sound issue?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MUTE circuit.pdf (311.8 KB, 160 views)
Old 03-29-22, 03:36 PM
kenevans12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you were able to fix this issue. I am having the same problem in my 2015 GS 350.

Is it possible the issue was caused by the coffee spills on the console? I have definitely had that happen a couple times...my amp compartment shows no signs of moisture or cracking.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-22, 10:38 PM
WylerLexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
From behind the radio you can check the wires that go from the radio to JP1 as a final check.

If the wires from the Radio to the Amp are good, and the Amp has power and Ground, and the speaker wires are not shorted to Ground, and speaker resistance is within spec, then the only thing left is the Radio...or something causing the Radio to Mute

I attached the procedure to check the MUTE wire since you'll have the Radio out.

Would you happen to have the schematics showing j66 on the radio?
Or radio head unit schematic?
Thanks Sasnuke!
Old 04-17-22, 10:40 PM
WylerLexus
Driver School Candidate

Opps never mind I found on page 3 of the last document posted! Thanks!
Old 07-04-22, 05:19 AM
Juba29
1st Gear

Default Lexus IS250 2014

Hello, does somebody know, if Pioneer amplifiers 86280-53180 and 86280-53190 are interchangeable ? I have the first one, and I'm wondering would the second one work
Old 07-04-22, 03:48 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Juba29
Hello, does somebody know, if Pioneer amplifiers 86280-53180 and 86280-53190 are interchangeable ? I have the first one, and I'm wondering would the second one work
The Amp you have is for a vehicle without Navi...the Amp you're looking at is for a vehicle with Navi. As far as I'm aware they are not interchangeable.
You could try looking for a 86280-53181.
Old 07-06-22, 10:57 AM
TecknickQc
6th Gear

Well...it seems only fitting after 7.5+ years, and starting this thread, that my own Amp should pack in it.
Over the last few weeks the sound has been cutting in and out with a lack of volume control to boot.
Yesterday the sound died for a consistent 30 minutes while driving, so decided to take the Amp out today.
I would note that in the last 5 weeks we've had regular rainfall, although there are not leaks in the trunk. The area around the Amp should signs of moisture residue, but no signs of actual standing water.

The Amp...tada! The side with the label (in the pic) actually faces the floor of the trunk, so the Amp is really upside down in the pic.

Cover with label removed...also took out the 6 bronze looking Philips that hold the circuit board in place

Circuit board removed to reveal another board underneath

after reading your post I have the same problem, I have the photos before after cleaning myself but I still have a resistor which is still (blue) what do I do with it? Two last pict is now
Old 07-07-22, 08:12 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TecknickQc

after reading your post I have the same problem, I have the photos before after cleaning myself but I still have a resistor which is still (blue) what do I do with it? Two last pict is now
Those resistors are fairly common in audio equipment. If you had access to a used radio or amp you will likely find plenty inside of them.
It can simply be unsoldered and new one soldered on. I'm assuming the blue color is being caused by corrosion...it's a little hard to tell in the pic from that distance.

If you could post a close-up pic of the two resistors that were corroded I might be able to give you a better answer. The area around C805 is not looking so hot.
Old 07-08-22, 05:05 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 291 Likes on 223 Posts

If you could post a close-up pic of the two resistors that were corroded I might be able to give you a better answer. The area around C805 is not looking so hot.
I’d agree with that, however the only blue I see there is at label L901 (the part is actually L900 due to the labeling shift).
Edit: Anything on the other side of the board?

Last edited by kj07xk; 07-08-22 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-08-22, 06:25 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I’d agree with that, however the only blue I see there is at label L901 (the part is actually L900 due to the labeling shift).
Edit: Anything on the other side of the board?
After looking back at the pics of my Amp, that blue resistor at L900 (L901, whichever) is normal.
When I first looked at your pic i thought I remembered a resistor being blue...and I was able to find it on my Amp as well.

I think the only issue is around C805, and once you fix that the Amp should work again.
Could you post a closeup pic of C805? I used the Macro camera on my cell phone to get the closeup shots...although I do have Note 20 Ultra, so yeah
Old 07-08-22, 09:15 AM
TecknickQc
6th Gear

Default Re amp

Those resistors are fairly common in audio equipment. If you had access to a used radio or amp you will likely find plenty inside of them.
It can simply be unsoldered and new one soldered on. I'm assuming the blue color is being caused by corrosion...it's a little hard to tell in the pic from that distance.

here are some new photos

There!!

Old 07-08-22, 10:52 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 291 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by TecknickQc

If these two photos are of the front and back of the board at the same location, think you’ve found your problem.
Old 07-08-22, 11:49 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

The dark green spot in the oval above is corrosion under the solder mask (the solder mask is all the green area of the board). And the 6 holes in the red circle also have corrosion. While corrosion is never a good sign, i think these two spots might be ok.
I would suggest cleaning as much of the corrosion out of the 6 holes as possible. You could carefully scrape away the dark area to expose the corrosion underneath and then clean it up with IPA (isopropyl alcohol)

The resistor above is likely toast and will need replacing. My only concern is that the trace from the resistor to the leg of the chip (the purple line) might be corroded to the point where there is no contact between the leg and the resistor.
That resistor is common for audio equipment and can be found easily if you have a used radio or amp laying around, or likely at any electronics store that repair audio equipment.
If you have a multi meter you can do a resistance check from one side of the resistor to the other side...if the meter doesn't beep or there is no continuity, then the resistor is done.

The blue resistor in your other pics is normal...I wouldn't even give it a second thought.
The following users liked this post:
TecknickQc (09-23-22)
Old 07-11-22, 12:19 PM
WylerLexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Solved!

thanks to sasnuke!
I wanted to come back to let everyone kkow what MY ISSUE WAS FOR NO SOUNDS WITH A WORKING AMP.

My grow unit installed back in 2014
So after testing everything and it all working except for no sound from speakers I took sasnuke advice and disconnected my grom unit that was for iPod and steering wheel control on my navi. It worked since and has continued to work a few drives now.
The following users liked this post:
Sasnuke (07-12-22)

Quick Reply: All about Lexus IS No Sound (Volume) - Amplifier failure