IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

All about Lexus IS No Sound (Volume) - Amplifier failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-22, 03:13 PM
Lexbefree
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Please forgive me if this is not the right thread to post this but a few days ago I started having issues with my stereo head unit. 2014 IS350 F-sport, ML w/ Nav. My stereo head unit and nav screen keep rebooting about every 15-30 seconds! . I did some research and at first though it was an amp issue but I checked my amp and there is absolutely no signs of moisture, plus when the stereo is on (for 10-15 seconds) the audio works fine. Also, I completely disconnected my amp and the head unit continues to reset even with the amp disconnected. I was finally able to get the firmware updated (after rebooting like 10 times!) and unfortunately that didn't help at all either. I came across other threads of people having this issue but they were years ago and their vehicle was covered under warranty and dealer just replaced the head unit. I saw a few you tube videos of a company on the east coast saying they can repair the head unit but they want $950 to do so. Dealer wants over $5k for a new head unit so the $950 obviously sounds more appealing but I am just wondering if others have encountered this issue and were able to repair themselves or what the cause is. It was working just fine, parked my car in my garage and a few days later started it up and this started happening. Perhaps a loose connection and/or solder joint in the head unit? I am going to pull it out this weekend and inspect it as much as I can but wanted to know if there is something specific I should look for? I cant stand driving my car with no music! Any suggestions, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-19-22, 03:57 PM
Arod41988
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posting here to see if I can get any help. I've been having issues with my 2015 Lexus IS250 F sport. The audio in my car only works when the car is in park lol. As soon as I start driving, the audio cuts out. Does anyone think this could be related to an amplifier failure? I feel like it might be a lack of power either coming from the amplifier or the car battery possibly, but wanted to check here to see if anyone else had this issue.
Old 10-23-22, 01:42 PM
Jolenern
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally some hope for this issue?

Im new Herr, but hopeful to solve this problem! I posted in another thread regarding this same issue, but this may be more appropriate? I am experiencing this same no sound problem, I haven't been able to figure it out 4 months now. Someone attempted to put an aftermarket subwoofer in, which worked for a couple minutes and then after that the car never worked again regarding sound. Everything else works and I have had it sent out and tested to a place in New York. I've sent the amp twice and the head unit once both came back as functional. The volume button is the only thing that that does not work except for shutting it off and on. There does seem to be an higher reading coming out of the subwoofer when tested with the ohm's meter from what I've been told. There is power from the amp to the speakers when tested with voltage meter. I have resettle ECM. I am determined to find the problem if anyone can help! I not super savvy in all this yet but definitely learning a lot.
Old 03-28-23, 02:04 PM
Skramblr42
2nd gear

Hey, first off thank you for this in depth breakdown. It has been incredibly helpful! I took a look at my amp, didn't pull apart the back panel but was able to take a quick peak and I found that there is a pool of water right below where my amp sits. I will probably have to replace the damn thing, but I'm wondering how the hell did the water get there and how can I prevent this from happening again?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-21-23, 08:24 AM
Gargt4
1st Gear

Hi all,

So I live in Europe and have a 2013 is300h and I've been over a year with no sound...I've replaced the amp twice...there is no fault code in the diagnostic menu and I've replaced the radio headunit also...I've checked fuses, plugs, speakers, looms etc and I'm at a complete loss...it has all the symptoms of the amplifier but with no fault code. Any one any pointers on where to go next. Thanks
Old 08-12-23, 02:36 AM
Cyberg66
6th Gear

Default Lexus es350 2022 no sound

Lexus ES 350 model 2022 has no sound and the volume does not work, please help
Old 08-29-23, 11:58 AM
Onemoetime
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Congrats! You saved big $$$$$.
Your ‘473’ component is a 47K ohm resistor network with 8 resistors.
Hopefully you kept the chip that fell off, and it has markings on it, otherwise without a schematic, it might be difficult to guess the appropriate replacement resistance value.
Looking at your before and after pictures, looks like the black chip you found was actually a surface mount resistor at what’s labeled R1120.
Missing that is certainly not going to help.

I’m on the same boat as everyone else! No sound radio works Bluetooth works. Everything else works except there’s no sound coming from my speakers. I did the diagnostic on through my car.. then it said pretty much everything is fine then I went to LEXUS and they told me yeah, your amp blew out and quoted me for like 2500. I know there’s moisture in the back bay where the amplifier lies I clean that out. I dried it out. My amp is completely dry. I replaced the flaps and the only thing left to do was to take the amp apart and the only thing I see wrong with it is a little corrosion as you can see in the photo attached but everything else is fine there’s no rush there’s no dust.

PLEASE HELP, IM LOSING MY MID!

Only corrosion i see is above “R914”
Old 08-29-23, 12:26 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Onemoetime
I’m on the same boat as everyone else! No sound radio works Bluetooth works. Everything else works except there’s no sound coming from my speakers. I did the diagnostic on through my car.. then it said pretty much everything is fine then I went to LEXUS and they told me yeah, your amp blew out and quoted me for like 2500. I know there’s moisture in the back bay where the amplifier lies I clean that out. I dried it out. My amp is completely dry. I replaced the flaps and the only thing left to do was to take the amp apart and the only thing I see wrong with it is a little corrosion as you can see in the photo attached but everything else is fine there’s no rush there’s no dust.

PLEASE HELP, IM LOSING MY MID!

Only corrosion i see is above “R914”
Anything on the backside of the board at that point?
Old 08-29-23, 12:35 PM
Onemoetime
3rd Gear

Anything on the backside of the board at that point?
Nope, nothing on the back side!
Old 09-11-23, 02:51 PM
v33k
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fixed

I fixed mine by reconnecting this grey connector.

Center console,.passenger side
Old 09-11-23, 02:56 PM
Onemoetime
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by v33k
I fixed mine by reconnecting this grey connector.

Center console,.passenger side
Hey thanks for sharing!

Can you show me step by step on how to get to the grey connector?

Thanks again!
Old 09-14-23, 01:43 PM
NCIS350F
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm having a similar issue, but mine is intermittent and under certain circumstances. When I start my car in the morning my radio always works as intended, but after shutting it off for less than 4-5 hours, when it comes back on there is no sound from the radio. Only after shutting it off for >5 hours does the sound come back. Is this indicative of a failing amp?
Old 01-21-24, 08:24 AM
Arthall111
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2019 Amp location

Is my Amp 2019 is300 under right hand side of trunk??
Old 02-11-24, 09:14 AM
Cookzshoutoutttt
2nd gear

Default Car volume stopped working on day then worked again for two months and now not workin

The volume on my car stopped working one day out of no where for a few days. Then we got hit with a cold front of a few days in Miami and it got dry and cold, the volume started working again. Lately we’ve gone back to normal Miami weather but yesterday out of no where on the way home the volume stopped working again. I’ve done the functional check you guys posted here and i see no codes. The first time the volume stopped working I’d check the codes but the amp wouldn’t even come up. Now it does but no codes what so ever. Any advice?

Old 02-11-24, 09:21 AM
Cookzshoutoutttt
2nd gear

Originally Posted by Lexbefree
Please forgive me if this is not the right thread to post this but a few days ago I started having issues with my stereo head unit. 2014 IS350 F-sport, ML w/ Nav. My stereo head unit and nav screen keep rebooting about every 15-30 seconds! . I did some research and at first though it was an amp issue but I checked my amp and there is absolutely no signs of moisture, plus when the stereo is on (for 10-15 seconds) the audio works fine. Also, I completely disconnected my amp and the head unit continues to reset even with the amp disconnected. I was finally able to get the firmware updated (after rebooting like 10 times!) and unfortunately that didn't help at all either. I came across other threads of people having this issue but they were years ago and their vehicle was covered under warranty and dealer just replaced the head unit. I saw a few you tube videos of a company on the east coast saying they can repair the head unit but they want $950 to do so. Dealer wants over $5k for a new head unit so the $950 obviously sounds more appealing but I am just wondering if others have encountered this issue and were able to repair themselves or what the cause is. It was working just fine, parked my car in my garage and a few days later started it up and this started happening. Perhaps a loose connection and/or solder joint in the head unit? I am going to pull it out this weekend and inspect it as much as I can but wanted to know if there is something specific I should look for? I cant stand driving my car with no music! Any suggestions, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

i had the same issue when i first got the Lexus but the dealer here in Florida told me 2900 for the head unit. I ended up looking online at car-parts.com and found one for 1300 which i bought. Just make sure the faceplate i.d is the same

Quick Reply: All about Lexus IS No Sound (Volume) - Amplifier failure