IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

RSR Down Springs with RCF / GSF bushings inner tire wear after

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-20, 04:05 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts
Default RSR Down Springs with RCF / GSF bushings inner tire wear after

Looks like my tires are wearing worse than without the mods. I mostly think it's the springs, my camber in the front is -1.4 - 1.5 degrees. Got these tires at 25K, car is now at 48K. Springs installed around 40K, GSF/RCF bushings around mid 30K. I guess I could properly see the wear with new tires. Also attached a picture of my rear tires which I got around 30K which seem to be wearing extremely well. These are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. Got an alignment done 2-3 times after spring install. I also have 25MM spacers upfront, 20MM rear.

Front passenger

Front driver

Rear driver
Old 08-17-20, 05:52 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

The wear in the pics look like Toe wear, not Camber.
My AWD has pretty much the same camber in the front as yours and my tires aren't wearing that much.

Do you still have your last alignment printout?
Old 08-17-20, 08:48 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Does look like toe.

Stating the obvious (but not to some) dont put off new tires, would do today if not already done.

I've had some people with tires like that say "aww well I will soon..."
The following 2 users liked this post by HOMER350:
kj07xk (08-17-20), swaangin (08-17-20)
Old 08-17-20, 12:42 PM
swaangin
Racer

Friend said it's toe as well but here's my alignment sheet

Old 08-17-20, 02:10 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Just a suggestion to help manage the Toe wear.
When you replace the front tires, which hopefully is soon as the cords are showing (yikes!), get another alignment.
However, ask them to adjust the front Toe to be more in or Positive...however they refer to it. Positive Toe = Toe In.
As per the alignment sheet you posted, you have Toe In of 0.01 degrees on the front left and right.
Ask them if they can adjust it to 0.08 degrees.

Really it's going to be a little bit of trial and error to see how much Toe In you need to stop the excessive wear on your car...but 0.08 is good place to start.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
arentz07 (08-17-20), swaangin (08-17-20), TLeexus (08-18-20)
Old 08-17-20, 05:51 PM
swaangin
Racer

Just to be clear, you meant the original toe which was 0.02 in the picture to 0.08, right?
Old 08-17-20, 06:51 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by swaangin
Just to be clear, you meant the original toe which was 0.02 in the picture to 0.08, right?
0.02 is the Total Toe...the left Toe plus the right Toe.
What I'm suggesting is to move the left and right Toe to 0.08 per each...this will make the Total Toe 0.16.
Old 08-17-20, 08:28 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
0.02 is the Total Toe...the left Toe plus the right Toe.
What I'm suggesting is to move the left and right Toe to 0.08 per each...this will make the Total Toe 0.16.
kk, thanks for that clarification, called the manager and will have them try to adjust it to this. They usually make a huge deal about being within "manufacturer spec" but we'll see what they say.
Old 08-17-20, 08:37 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

kk, thanks for that clarification, called the manager and will have them try to adjust it to this. They usually make a huge deal about being within "manufacturer spec" but we'll see what they say.
It will still be within manufacturers spec, just not in the middle of the spec range which is what they aim for.
But clearly the middle of the spec range is not doing you any favors at the moment, time to think outside the box.
The following users liked this post:
swaangin (08-18-20)
Old 08-17-20, 10:01 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,841 Likes on 1,941 Posts

+1 for the toe-in suggestion. I ran slightly more toe-in than factory (bone-stock, however) in order to mitigate the inner wear, and it seemed to work. No signs of excess inner wear in 18,000 miles of driving on my BFGoodrich tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
Jazzrock (08-17-20), swaangin (08-18-20)
Old 08-18-20, 10:53 AM
swaangin
Racer

I am surprised because I've had my alignment done before the springs and it never wore like this until I got the springs installed.
Old 08-18-20, 11:06 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I am surprised because I've had my alignment done before the springs and it never wore like this until I got the springs installed.
Without seeing the pre-spring alignment printouts it's hard to say what might have changed...besides the springs of course.

On a side note: I noticed the specs on the printout you posted were for the 16 rims...I'm sure your car didn't come with the 16 inch rims, so make sure they are using the correct, or best possible, selection for your specific vehicle.
Or maybe you car did come with the 16 inch rims and I am mistaken.
Old 08-18-20, 04:25 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Just a suggestion to help manage the Toe wear.
When you replace the front tires, which hopefully is soon as the cords are showing (yikes!), get another alignment.
However, ask them to adjust the front Toe to be more in or Positive...however they refer to it. Positive Toe = Toe In.
As per the alignment sheet you posted, you have Toe In of 0.01 degrees on the front left and right.
Ask them if they can adjust it to 0.08 degrees.

Really it's going to be a little bit of trial and error to see how much Toe In you need to stop the excessive wear on your car...but 0.08 is good place to start.
Would you mind explaining the reasoning for adjusting the toe to be more positive?

The reason I ask is because I remember reading suggestions of zeroing out the toe on the forum from a while back and I've been doing just that for the last 3 years. My car is also lowered and I am running the RCF bushings but I usually get 2 years out of my front tires (~20k miles), where they wouldn't last that long before. I guess the zero toe is working for me but if I could stretch the life of the tires just a bit longer by adjusting the toe then I'd like to do so.
Old 08-18-20, 06:55 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Miintt
Would you mind explaining the reasoning for adjusting the toe to be more positive?
I'll give it my best shot without confusing myself lol!

The particular wear the OP has looks to be Toe wear, specifically too much Toe Out, since the wear is on the inside of the tire. If the wear was on the outside of the tire, then it would be too much Toe In.
In order to reduce the Toe Out, some Toe In will need to be added.
Assuming all the numbers on the OP's printout are correct, you will notice each left and right alignment angle has a range...as denoted by the numbers on each side of the box for the alignment angle.
In the case of the front Toe, the range is -0.07 to 0.12 degrees of Toe...this represents the range of Toe the manufacturer has specified it should be set to for this vehicle.
So the total range for the Toe is 0.20 degrees...that's the number of degrees from -0.07 to 0.12 (inclusive of both numbers and of course 0.00)
In this case the middle of the spec range is 0.02 degrees...which is 0.10 degrees above -0.07, and 0.10 degrees below 0.12 degrees.
When performing the alignment, usually the alignment machine determines the center of the range, based on the spec range numbers provided, and makes this the proverbial "0" in the middle of the green box.
This way no matter what the manufacturer determines the spec range is to be, the Tech is just aiming to set it to "0"...and that will be in the middle of the spec range.
So when you mention zeroing the Toe, it depends if the person that posted that meant the "0" on the alignment machine, or actually 0.00 degrees of Toe...I would assume "0" on the machine.

In my suggestion to set the Toe to be more positive, specifically 0.08 degrees, that would be what the machine would show.
In reality it's really 0.10 degrees...since the "0" position is already 0.02 degrees (as I mentioned above).
So really it is still within the manufacturers spec range since the max recommended Toe In is 0.12 degrees.
If it helps the OP, then yay! If not, then back to the drawing board.
Old 08-19-20, 05:31 PM
swaangin
Racer

@sasnuke Do you think I can hold the alignment shop liable for my tires?

Quick Reply: RSR Down Springs with RCF / GSF bushings inner tire wear after