IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Pre-Collision Malfunction/Cruise Control Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 08:47 AM
PGARazor
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Pre-Collision Malfunction/Cruise Control Malfunction

I replaced a steering wheel, after two days of driving and no issues I now have (Pre-collision/Cruise Control Malfunction/Lane Assistance System/KeyFob not working). Anybody have similar issues, and how did you fix if you did? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-20, 10:22 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by PGARazor
I replaced a steering wheel, after two days of driving and no issues I now have (Pre-collision/Cruise Control Malfunction/Lane Assistance System/KeyFob not working). Anybody have similar issues, and how did you fix if you did? Thanks in advance.
Did you replaced it with those awesome looking aftermarket steering wheels? Not sure if you mention that PCS feature during the ordering process. They usually ask for that. I'm sure your oem wheel has that vibrate feedback.

But hopefully you just forgot to plug back one of those connectors.
Old 08-27-20, 11:20 AM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Are you getting these messages? If so it might have to do with the clock spring. Hopefully you forgot to plug in a cable from the clock spring or the cable became loose. Remove the airbag again and check all connections.

In the worst case the clock spring might have broke. The clock spring is only meant to rotate in either direction a certain amount of time, so when re-installing the new steering wheel if you didn't have the clock spring rotation centered, you might have broke the cable when turning.

I broke mine a couple weeks ago when installing my new wheel and had to order a new one which I will be installing today. It was a very expensive mistake. Just in case you do need to get a new one............. Lexus dealerships in my area charges $975+tax for the part alone but you can find genuine, new ones online for around $350.

Old 08-27-20, 12:18 PM
PGARazor
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by anamynous
Are you getting these messages? If so it might have to do with the clock spring. Hopefully you forgot to plug in a cable from the clock spring or the cable became loose. Remove the airbag again and check all connections.

In the worst case the clock spring might have broke. The clock spring is only meant to rotate in either direction a certain amount of time, so when re-installing the new steering wheel if you didn't have the clock spring rotation centered, you might have broke the cable when turning.

I broke mine a couple weeks ago when installing my new wheel and had to order a new one which I will be installing today. It was a very expensive mistake. Just in case you do need to get a new one............. Lexus dealerships in my area charges $975+tax for the part alone but you can find genuine, new ones online for around $350.

thanks all this helpful information, I’ll check the connections this afternoon
Old 08-27-20, 01:21 PM
ihateu3
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by anamynous

I am going to be installing a wheel in a few weeks, any tips to avoid breaking the clock spring? I would think it would be hard to mess up, but seeing two people here that have had this problem, makes it seem kinda easy to mess up.
Old 08-27-20, 03:40 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ihateu3
I am going to be installing a wheel in a few weeks, any tips to avoid breaking the clock spring? I would think it would be hard to mess up, but seeing two people here that have had this problem, makes it seem kinda easy to mess up.
I'll give you some pointers when I get home later today. 🙌
Old 08-27-20, 07:01 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

I'm going to assume you know or have researched on how to remove the steering wheel off, so I will not go into detail about the whole thing. But I will give you some tips that can save you a headache. These are some things you may or may not know already.

1. After you take your airbag out and you need to take the main center steering wheel bolt out and shake the wheel off, I recommend not taking the bolt off completely. After you loosen the bolt, I would hand tighten it back on slight so that there's only a small about of wiggle room. This is so that when you try to shake the steering wheel off, which can require a lot of force, you don't just yank it off towards you. The reason for that leads to tip #2.

2. Make sure that after you unplug all the cables from your airbag and steering wheel, check the 3 cables from the clock spring that connect to the airbag and steering wheel. Because these 3 cables go from the clock spring THROUGH the steering wheel, if you are not careful they can get caught when you pull off the steering wheel. This is what cause the whole clock spring mechanism to rip out because it got caught. I also had the bolt totally removed, so if you leave the bolt on then that should help.

3. If you are not familiar with how clock springs work, and I had no idea until this incident, they are only meant to rotate in either direction a certain amount of time. Forcefully rotating it past it's limit will tear the cables inside the clock spring. There are plenty of youtube videos online that show how clock springs work so I recommend watching some of those. I never had to deal with recentering the clock spring because I completely tore mine out on accident and then bought a brand new one that came centered. So this part I don't know from experience but from what I have seen in videos, the clock spring can only rotate 5 turns from one end to the other. It will say on the clock spring itself that it can rotate 5 times. So you want to make sure that once you rotate it completely to one side, then you rotate it the other way 2.5 turns for it to be centered. If you don't center the clock spring prior to installing your new steering wheel, then there is a chance you can tear the cable while driving if you turn the wheel too much in a certain direction.

That's pretty much all the precautions I would recommend. Let me know if you need any clarification. I installed my brand new clock spring today and everything is working again.
The following 2 users liked this post by anamynous:
ihateu3 (08-27-20), kj07xk (08-27-20)